test drove a Gen 5 today

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the boards about this car and how people like it. I finally went and drove it today. My son and I really enjoyed it.
Great car to make sure you son is a car enthusiast too lol

This is an amazing car! I like everything about it except the price :D
It was grey with red sablet seats, great combo. The interior was really clean.
I saw a video or read that the hood doesn't open if the interior is locked, tried that and it opened, but the alarm went off. Is that normal?
The insurance is really high, I called to see how much and it was 2800 a year. I'm 46 with a clean record.
I'll be checking out another source for sure. This car is a little more rigid than my Z06 but I like how it drives.

I hope to be joining the G5 club soon!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet.....................:2tu:

I have to avoid test driving one.
......Or I'll find myself driving it home.

My insurance is ugly as well, but it has been a result of being hassled by the cops. :crazy2:

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan, I was holding out for the new Z06 but this has changed my mind.
Did I say it sounded incredible? At 3k+ rpm it sounded like it was being turned inside out. Wooohooo!!

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know i have read about others rates for a Gen 5 for around $1K. I won't pay 2800. Thats crazy.
My Z started off at 8xx something a couple years ago and its up to 12xx something. Ins company has gone crazy high.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice color combo. Was it an SRT or GTS model?

Hood pops even with doors locked, just like every other generation before that. Yes, it sets alarm off. For car shows, you can pop the hood and then arm the door locks, and it won't set off the alarm with it left open.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Insurance depends on where you live an other factors. However, In Florida for me I pay approx $ 900 / year for my Gen V with State Farm.

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nineball, It's a base model srt. It does have that paint, the sabelt seats, and I think he said track pack(i'll have to asked about that again).

Viper808, I'm with allstate and they are just higher. I was quoted 600+ less on an older model through State Farm.
I'm going to check around for some other Co. during Thanksgiving for better rates.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call up an insurance company, and tell them you have the numbers of all the insurance companies that provide the service you need, and tell them that whoever gives you the lowest price for the same coverage will have your business.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your kid a teenager... That hurts your rates. In NJ it costs about $4,300 to insure a new Civic for a 17 year old.

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove to Georgia with my son and drove home with my new 13' SRT in the rain and put about 300 miles on it. Time to clean it up.
What makes a launch control version? I'll write up my overall experience later.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove to Georgia with my son and drove home with my new 13' SRT in the rain and put about 300 miles on it. Time to clean it up.
What makes a launch control version? I'll write up my overall experience later.
do you mean the launch edition? the first 150 cars, iirc, were launch editions... exclusive b/w paint job, and a GTS blue badge. imo they made too many of them... most vipers are one-off compared to a launch edition.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your new Viper! Post some pics if you have time. SOunds like a great color combo :2tu:

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the boards about this car and how people like it. I finally went and drove it today. My son and I really enjoyed it.
Great car to make sure you son is a car enthusiast too lol

This is an amazing car! I like everything about it except the price :D
It was grey with red sablet seats, great combo. The interior was really clean.
I saw a video or read that the hood doesn't open if the interior is locked, tried that and it opened, but the alarm went off. Is that normal?
The insurance is really high, I called to see how much and it was 2800 a year. I'm 46 with a clean record.
I'll be checking out another source for sure. This car is a little more rigid than my Z06 but I like how it drives.

I hope to be joining the G5 club soon!

The price is a relative bargain and your insurance will be high if you have a driver under 25 in your household. Try geico if you're not already using them and if you are, you might want to check your coverages and reduce or get rid of ones you don't really need.

The G5 viper club is one you won't be disappointed in joining.