Test-drove Sean Roe's new supercharged GTS!

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Test-drove Sean Roe\'s new supercharged GTS!

Okay Sean . . . .
When, We are dying for this to be released.
Will it be CARB certified
Will you have enough to go around?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Oh that's right, I forgot that there were some other people that were interested in supercharging their cars also
laugh.gif

Here's a pic of what Jon drove today:
You must be registered for see images

As Jon said, we got the car back from EFI Systems on Tuesday. There were a few things that needed to be finished up and I took care of those yesterday and this morning. I had to pull the entire SC / manifold / injectors (basically the whole thing) off to do some work, so I timed the removal. It takes 1 hour to remove all traces that the engine had a SC on it. The stock intake would take about another 45 minutes to a hour to put back on. The entire system can easily be installed within a day.

I'm going to run the car on the DynoJet that we did the *before* pull on sometime tomorrow. Don't expect GIANT #'s, since this is the 5 psi kit. The 7-8 psi kit will come a couple months later as an upgrade to the first kit. It takes a smaller pulley, bigger injectors, a larger fuel line, bigger volume fuel pump and computer tuning to run 7-8 psi and keep it safe. If you want bigger #'s, you'll have to go to one of the custom shops, like DLM, Heffner, etc.. This is setup to go onto a stock, or bolt on modified engine for a healthy gain at the rear wheels without having to go inside the engine or have it down for weeks / months at a time.

We have 100% intentions of getting CARB EO certification. The guys at EFI Systems are helping us out with that process.

I'll put more info up soon, but we do plan to *start* making the parts as early as this week for a production system (this one was all hand built and welded). Got to get the final after #'s at 5 psi level first.

Sean

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 04-07-2002 at 09:00 PM</font>

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looking forward to your HP readings on the dyno...before and after. You must be close to a price....what's the numbers $$$? Sign me....Anxious in Pittsburgh

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean
Congrats on your project,looks very clean and from the
sound of the posts runs the same.We are looking forward
to the dyno reports.Just installed the Borla system you
built for my 94 RT sounds Grrrrreat and quiet too{Marie
says it is not}Thanks!!

Skeeter

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All I can say is I've done about all the mods I wanted to up to this point, but this supercharger will be my next one. This is the first I have heard of an upgraded kit. How much more HP do you think the 2nd level kit will get over the first?

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm jealous, I want a ride
tongue.gif
I talked to Sean a couple of weeks ago about his supercharger and it sounds like the trick setup for all of us street Vipers. He couldn't give me an exact price but is sounds really inexpensive for what you get. I'm thinking 5 lb boost plus 100 shot of nitrous/propane on top would give extreme reliability + crazy power when needed. The way he explained it was, the 5 lb basic kit would use the stock fuel system then you could buy an upgrade (fuel system + pulley) at any time and go with 8 lb of boost. Sound's like a great system. I don't need a dyno queen as I drive 1,000 miles per month and 12 months per year, rain or shine. I want something that's practical, reliable, makes some good power, and is inexpensive.

Sean are you taking advanced orders, or have a waiting list?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean,

I'm interested in the 7-8 pound Boost kit. Here's are my questions:

I have a 98 GTS, your filter/tubes, your high-flow oval cats, a 2.5 inch Corsa Cat-back, stock tubular headers, 18' purner/pilots, and a 3.73 rear. 1.) Will my stock headers and 2.5 Corsa be sufficient support the increased exhaust flow? 2.) I can hook right now with the 3.73's, but with you 7-8 S/C kit do you think switching back to stock 3.07's will be needed to establish traction in first/second?

P.S - I apoligize if these questions are premature, but I'm pumped about this S/C'er!!!!

Thanks.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean,

It's 2 O'clock in the morning, and this is when my brain functions best. I have a suggestion. What would be REALLY nice is a video tape of the installation of the SC'er and also the removal of SC'er (back-to-stock) as well. It's so much easier seeing something done (a picture is worth a thousand words), than following written instructions. The format could be similar to those guys on TNN Saturday/Sunday car shows. Would probably only need a few hours of footage, and it would give us mechanically challenged great confidence. Opinion???

Thanks...

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Regarding nitrous use, I need to consider provisions for an additional blow-off valve in the manifold, in case you get a backfire on nitrous (manifold pressure would go up hundreds of psi, which could damage the SC if there was no pressure release).

An instruction video sounds like a good idea.

The upgrade to 7-8 psi will yield about another 70-80 hp (approx) over the 5 psi kit. It will be more involved since you have to change the fuel line, filter, gain access into the fuel tank (pull up the glued down carpet and drill out the panel rivets on a GTS), swap the fuel pump and regulators, etc..
That's why we are making a 5 psi kit now. It's the limit for the stock pump and line size, making it an easy and fast install that you could do at home. Plus, it's safe for the newer cast piston cars on 91 octane gas, where 7-8 psi might be pushing it too far for them on lower octane gas.

Regarding exhaust pipe and header tube size, stock will still work fine, but you can get more power with larger tubes. We have 1&5/8" primary tubes on the GTS now (stock is 1&1/2") with 3" exhaust pipes. That's how we tested the car on the *before* tests. Sometime, we plan to put 1&3/4" B&B headers on it and see what the power difference is.

Looks like a nice day today , so we should be on the dyno this afternoon.

Sean

p.s.
Forgot to address the price question. How about "very affordable"
smile.gif
. I can't get too specific yet because we're still working on the manifold production costs. Big differences between manufacturing processes.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 04-08-2002 at 07:44 AM</font>

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok Sean, I wont make you beg. I volunteer to take it down the dragstrip for you, no charge and I'll even pay my own travel expenses. Or if you really want to make some noise bring it down to Gandy one night.

Sounds like just enough to put away some of those supercharged Mustangs and Fbodys. Now they'll be going back to saying "Yeah, but you have more cubes."

I hope any tuner/supplier rivalries within the Viper community don't get too out of hand. There is a market for a good bolt on blower that this should fill without cutting much into DLM, BTR, Cragin or the others.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean,
Good to hear about the progress you are making on your kit. I can not wait to give you my credit card number as soon as you are ready to sell one. The video sounds like a great idea as well. I second that motion. Sean, give me a call, or email when you are ready.

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean, bring your car to the VCA meeting in Lakeland Saturday April 20 at Outback Steakhouse. All of us would like to see it! Call me and let me know if you are going to be there.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Regarding nitrous use, I need to consider provisions for an additional blow-off valve in the manifold, in case you get a backfire on nitrous (manifold pressure would go up hundreds of psi, which could damage the SC if there was no pressure release).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought all the twin screw type of blowers had a blow off valve? Don't you run the same risk w/o nitrous in the event of a backfire. Maybe I'm just thinking of carburetor blowers not fuel injected.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Yes, there's a bypass valve, but you'd need something like a blowoff plate or valve to handle a nitrous hicup under boost.

meggleto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean,

I can't tell from the picture. Looking at the engine compartment will there be space for us to pipe in a small intercooler? I'm thinking ahead for things I could do if a friend gets the same mods I do. If there's space I could install a small intercooler and use a hood vent to flow air to it and thus have the faster Viper.

Thanks!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Sean, does the supercharger whistle?
FOR GUYS THAT ARE GOING TO GET A SUPERCHARGER....

The whistle is great, but noone will want to race you. If you can, get one that is silent (don't know if it's an option).. Bikes, other cars won't be TOO afraid to race you..
smile.gif

I remember in my old '94 a couple years ago I had a Level II (Gen I) I had a thrown belt for a couple days (Limestone road at the time didn't like my belts) and EVERYONE wanted to race me. When I got the belt back on, noone would line up...

Gerald

Gerald

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

COOL! Nothing like competition!
The part about driving like a stocker is the best part of it...
And also, nothing like the sound of a S/C... NOTHING...

Be safe..

Gerald

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Hi Gerald,

It's silent, no noise except a slight *wuushh* when shifting that I might not have heard if the hood was on.

Sean

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As if 488 cubic inches wasn't enough
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
Sean described the effect best: it felt just like a regular Viper, but like it had a bigger engine.

The power was that smooth and consistent. Nice.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OP
OP
V

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
Hey Sean, does the supercharger whistle?
FOR GUYS THAT ARE GOING TO GET A SUPERCHARGER....

The whistle is great, but noone will want to race you. If you can, get one that is silent (don't know if it's an option).. Bikes, other cars won't be TOO afraid to race you..
smile.gif

I remember in my old '94 a couple years ago I had a Level II (Gen I) I had a thrown belt for a couple days (Limestone road at the time didn't like my belts) and EVERYONE wanted to race me. When I got the belt back on, noone would line up...

Gerald

Gerald

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forget that stuff, I'm gonna get that thingy that makes the blow off valve noise-maybe two of them!
cool.gif

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean,
Excellent choice in blowers,the Whipple is a great blower and it will make instant boost from idle,not quite the top end power of a Centrifugal but defintely more boost under the curve.

What size Whipple are you using?
Is it as large as the Kenne-Bell Blowzilla?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

The SC is manufactured by Autorotor in Sweden. Whipple used to buy from them, but changed to SRM, which has a cast housing and is less expensive than the Autorotor. The Autorotor is capable of track use when the oiling system is tied in with the factory engine oil cooler line, so it was worth the extra money to us.
I think the blower displacement we're using is larger than what Whipple supplies to Bell.

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kenne-Bell offers 2 different sized Whipple/Autorotor blowers,
1.5L
2.2L (Blowzilla)

You must be registered for see images

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by TurboSnake on 04-16-2002 at 09:32 PM</font>

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Yep, that's a pic of an Autorotor. The SRM's have taller ridges on the ouside that run top to bottom, where the Autorotor has short ridges that run front to back.
We're using a bigger one than the Blowzilla.

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Isn't the biggest one a 3.3L?

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now get to work on a gen1 motor and i'll be the first to buy one!If you need a guinie pig (sp?) then i'll make the trip down there ;)

MadMaxx