The current and future state of Viper sales and technology

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, you bring up valid points.

The G4 (and previous gens) was considered "too primitive" by some.
So Dodge upscales the car with a beautiful interior, tons of options, and gorgeous lines.
Sadly, not enough guys show up with their wallets...in spite of the fact it's the best Viper ever.

This was a case where maybe Dodge shouldn't have listened quite as closely to owners as they did.
Perhaps shooting for a new niche of customers rather than guys who already HAD cars (most of whom didn't buy a G5 anyway) may have turned out to be a better plan.:dunno:

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sunsalem my reference to the Aventador/650s was not about cross shopping but about kicking butt all around.
OK, I misunderstood.

I thought you were talking about attracting Lambo, McLaren, etc. customers to Dodge showrooms.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I misunderstood.

I thought you were talking about attracting Lambo, McLaren, etc. customers to Dodge showrooms.

Oh no sir. That was one of the problems with SRT's marketing approach with the Viper. Not staying in your lane can cost you as SRT found out. I only want to see the Viper take it to the sub-hypers in all corners hence my comment. This was the quote I had in mind when I made my post:

Top Gear loves the Hellcat and has this to say about how Viper will respond over the next 2 years:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-review-2014-7-23

"Company insiders hinted that the Viper is being completely rethought. Now that Fiat and Chrysler are one company, all technology is being shared across the company – including Ferrari’s for the first time – which opens the door to a possible hybrid Viper. That car could use the Hellcat engine and add an electric motor giving the Dodge supercar over 900bhp. The company is also researching possible four-wheel drive systems for the car, which wouldn’t appear for a couple of years yet…"

not authoritative, but interesting! (sorry for underlining - cut and paste and can't remove it)

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was the quote I had in mind when I made my post:
I surely hope the Topgear info is true.
Viper is in desperate need of a Roadster, auto trans. & a re-launch as a "G6."

The Introduction of the G5 was COMPLETELY bungled (especially the mag tests with cars not ready for primetime:doh2:).
The reviews were almost fatal.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though the Gen.5 is a excellent HP car,it is so far behind the new high tect HP cars,it will never recover at this point.Spin it anyl way,that why the are hundreds of new Vipers in new car showrooms that no one(hardly) wants at fire sale prices.The Viper needs a complete redesign ,Ie New Generation...No need to build more of the same....

I mean who wants to manually shift a car in traffic now a days when their are now DCT that can out shift any human at the race track and just let it do it thing in traffic.....

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, you bring up valid points.

The G4 (and previous gens) was considered "too primitive" by some.
So Dodge upscales the car with a beautiful interior, tons of options, and gorgeous lines.
Sadly, not enough guys show up with their wallets...in spite of the fact it's the best Viper ever.

This was a case where maybe Dodge shouldn't have listened quite as closely to owners as they did.
Perhaps shooting for a new niche of customers rather than guys who already HAD cars (most of whom didn't buy a G5 anyway) may have turned out to be a better plan.:dunno:

I think that they did an excellent job with the G5 overall except in few areas that are subjective/objective but I wont go into it. However, an upgraded interior etc is just not enough to go after the Porsche crowd. What SRT effectively did was improve the Viper in leaps and bounds compared to its past models but then aim it at probably one of the most polished and refined marques. What you did there was then force the public to guage it against a currently unattainable standard that it couldnt hope to compete with in anything but performance. Listen to the review with Tanner Faust and you will see text book why they should not have aimed the G5 Porsche. Once the Porsche crowd heard the heat issues, crude references to its handling/ride etc there was no way they were going to open their wallets for one.

Retaining any of the Vipers brutishness as they did in the case of the G5, is one of the many reasons that doomed it in the eyes of the Porsche crowd imho. They need to figure out what they want the Viper to be imho. If its going to be a pretty brute as the G5 is, then it can't compete with Porsche and attract enough of those types of buyer to be profitable. If you are going to go after a company like Porsche and the like then they have to get serious and offer a Viper or some other car that will add tech, polish and wow factor enought to be taken seriously by that crowd.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly Snake Bitten...

That is why I have bought two brand new Turbo Ss within three years(Go drive one).As much as I hate to say it,their is no comparison between new Porsches to Dodge Vipers...Again,the Snake needs to be completely redone or at least some major improvements and address that locked computer issue for the racers,no matter who owns the rights...

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper needs a complete redesign ,Ie New Generation...No need to build more of the same.
Exactly why I don't think there will be a 2015, unless it is a "complete redesign."

The last thing dealers want is more cars they can't sell....

I mean who wants to manually shift a car in traffic now a days when their are now DCT that can out shift any human at the race track and just let it do it thing in traffic.....
+100000000

Listen to the review with Tanner Faust and you will see text book why they should not have aimed the G5 Porsche. Once the Porsche crowd heard the heat issues, crude references to its handling/ride etc there was no way they were going to open their wallets for one.
I can't find the video....do you have a link?

Retaining any of the Vipers brutishness as they did in the case of the G5, is one of the many reasons that doomed it in the eyes of the Porsche crowd imho. They need to figure out what they want the Viper to be imho. If its going to be a pretty brute as the G5 is, then it can't compete with Porsche and attract enough of those types of buyer to be profitable. If you are going to go after a company like Porsche and the like then they have to get serious and offer a Viper or some other car that will add tech, polish and wow factor enought to be taken seriously by that crowd.
If going after Porsche is a goal, they are going to need help from their Fiat cousin Ferrari.;)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Realistically I'd agree that the car is really just a better version of itself. Trying to market it toward other more "luxury" sports cars probably wasn't the best idea. In reality it's still a Viper like Vipers before it, just wearing a nicer suit on the inside (no arguments there, I bought a gen 3 because I wanted a dead pedal and more footroom). The thing is, even with it's "old tech" it's still one of the fastest cars around a track. Even the outgoing ACR still holds lap records over cars with years more technology in them, so people claiming it needs more aren't really on the mark in my opinion.

The gen 4 ACR is proof that tech isn't necessary to go fast, so claiming that the new car needs some form of auto, more power, better aero, etc. doesn't necessarily hold water from a performance standpoint to me. I admit, tech is fun for the sake of tech. I get a new phone every couple of years like anyone else because it's fun having fancier toys, but that doesn't mean my old phone didn't do its job perfectly well. There is such a thing as mechanical engineering as opposed to computers. You can design a car to be fast without using electronics to bandaid their weaknesses. People keep saying a gen 5 is "slow", but it still holds a lap record over a gen 4 ACR which happens to hold a lap record over a GT-R, 458, MP4, Porsche, etc. All of this while still rowing gears old style. The only place it's slow is a straight drag race from a standstill for a short distance.

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically I'd agree that the car is really just a better version of itself. Trying to market it toward other more "luxury" sports cars probably wasn't the best idea. In reality it's still a Viper like Vipers before it, just wearing a nicer suit on the inside (no arguments there, I bought a gen 3 because I wanted a dead pedal and more footroom). The thing is, even with it's "old tech" it's still one of the fastest cars around a track. Even the outgoing ACR still holds lap records over cars with years more technology in them, so people claiming it needs more aren't really on the mark in my opinion.
Absolutely right.

The gen 4 ACR is proof that tech isn't necessary to go fast, so claiming that the new car needs some form of auto, more power, better aero, etc. doesn't necessarily hold water from a performance standpoint to me.
My point of view is based more on increasing sales and expanding the customer base, not necessarily performance.
As I have said before, the lower than expected G5 sales alarms me.

People keep saying a gen 5 is "slow", but it still holds a lap record over a gen 4 ACR which happens to hold a lap record over a GT-R, 458, MP4, Porsche, etc.
IMO, it's kinda crazy to call the Viper "slow."

The only place it's slow is a straight drag race from a standstill for a short distance.
For better or worse, it is the one measurement that gets the most headlines.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is why I have bought two brand new Turbo Ss within three years(Go drive one).As much as I hate to say it,their is no comparison between new Porsches to Dodge Vipers....

The supremely smug Porsche troll has a point....SRT screwed up trying to appeal to the highly refined and snobby tastes of this cross section of society. :D

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The supremely smug Porsche troll has a point....SRT screwed up trying to appeal to the highly refined and snobby tastes of this cross section of society. :D
On a serious note, maybe SRT should have aimed the Viper more towards the Corvette crowd.

Dodge could have advertised it as the natural progression/upgrade for Vette fans, as in:
You have/had a Corvette, NOW it's time for something BETTER!!!!

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper has always been the natural progression/upgrade for Vette owners so no need to advertise it. The simple fact is most corvette buyers either don't have the $$$ or can't justify the $$$ difference. Also, I would not get so caught up into someone at one point saying they were targeting the porsche crowd. Simple point was they were trying to dramatically improve the overall quality and interior for the car (as Chrysler has been doing for all of its products) and they were referring to other buyers in the $100k+ segment by mentioning some of their options.

On a serious note, maybe SRT should have aimed the Viper more towards the Corvette crowd.

Dodge could have advertised it as the natural progression/upgrade for Vette fans, as in:
You have/had a Corvette, NOW it's time for something BETTER!!!!

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most here are convinced there's something wrong with the car because it isn't selling well...missing power, missing this or that feature...and some think Porsche buyers not jumping ship proves the Gen V is missing something. I don't for a second believe that the buyer of the higher performance Porsche would seriously consider a Viper, or a Vette or GT-R for that matter, generally speaking...but not because of anything lacking in the car's performance. Porsche is in another world. Most 911 GT3 buyers take them straight to the track, PCA has unlimited track days and a serious driver education program, and the focus of the car is centered around the track and tracking, or enjoying and having pride in a very track capable car. I'm on track with them every single day out, and often with a dozen or more 911 variants.

Viper Nation doesn't seem to have an identity, just the lingering memory of the Viper stomping on everything, and certainly not one focused on motorsports and race track performance despite the best efforts of Ralph and his Viper team that designed and built the car to be world-class on track, and despite having factory race cars and team to support that goal. This thread is just the latest in a long line that encourages members to criticize the Gen V and SRT from their first moves till their last. These threads are usually started by someone you know will never buy the Gen V, and finding fault with the car must help them justify that decision. My favorite is "drop the price thousands and I might think about it". They're almost always an attempt to find fault and direct blame. The OP of this thread doesn't recognize the focus of the Viper design team to make this a worthy and world class track day car...right out of the showroom, no mods, even providing the 6 point harness mounts! I'm sure he's not alone.

Nope, I just don't see Porsche buyers being drawn to the Viper identity, or lack of one, and the lack of an organized community with a shared interest in track performance and use. Same applies to the BMW buyer. But I do see some of them being drawn to the Gen V's styling, reliability, features, performance, exclusivity, value...and its uncompromising commitment to be perhaps the finest analogue driver's car that you can buy. Many Porsche GT3 fans didn't want to loose the manual, or hydraulic steering, didn't want 4 wheel steering, audio system enhanced exhaust, and half the nannies. Gen V is a car for them. And I'm sure the Gen V would appeal to many more exotic high performance buyers if they had a chance to experience it, and if they didn't get hung up on it not being built by one of the exotic brands.

I chose the car for all the important things that it is, not for the unimportant things that it isn't which get discussed over and over in these threads. I see actual buyers of cars in this price range choosing the Gen V and being thrilled with it, and turned off by the forum, and I see non-buyers joining these constant *****-fests. I'd just like to see some of them buy something else to give their opinions some credibility as being given by someone actually in the market, but no such luck for the rest of us that are left to endure their presence. You'd expect this forum to have "Enthusiasts" and non-Gen V owners asking questions to learn more about the car and owners discussing their cars. Instead you have mostly previous Gen owners criticising everything from A-Z and Gen V owners increasingly tuning out in disgust.

Here's how I see it:

Porsche faithful celebrate the slow evolution of the classic 911 shape...Viper faithful want bold and new.
Porsche faithful love and expect a high level of refinement...Viper faithful don't care, and want price slashed.
Porsche faithful embrace the car's performance even though it isn't tops, even the 911 GT3/RS...Viper faithful aren't happy even when it is tops, make lists of things to change, or just bring out a Gen VI.
Porsche faithful embrace a fundamentally flawed engine layout, and any nannies that can help remedy that...Viper faithful want nannies because Porsche has them.
Porsche faithful exist in a culture grounded in road course track performance...Viper faithful don't have clue one about road course performance, just want to have, or have ability to make more power.
Porsche designs the 911 to win races and for its massive following of track enthusiasts...SRT/Dodge succeeds at the same goal and the Viper faithful could care less as they add to their lists of demands.
Porsche faithful understand what their 911 is ...Viper faithful are all over the map on what it is, and more often, what they think it should be.
Porsche faithful pay ever high prices, including very expensive options...Viper faithful are very price sensitive, most needing a price decrease.

When I use "Porsche faithful" I mean strong enthusiasts of the car, whether they own or not. Many owners do buy newer versions as the basic formula doesn't change...the results just keep getting better, and they see value in the small but steady upgrades. The "Viper faithful" seem quite fractured in their wants, but seem to want everything whether it's needed or not. They feel having it is the key to happiness, and if they are given it they would buy....although the chance of them getting what they want in a Viper at a price they're willing to pay may be very remote.

I met the owner of a one day old 2014 911 GT3 at a track day yesterday. He's done some of the same track events I have for at least 10 years. He said he loved the look of my TA and asked how I came to choose it. I said I liked the styling, missed having a manual in my recent XKR and wanted one again, and liked the refinements incorporated in the new Viper. He told me the GT3 was very refined and that the DCT was so great, ripping down the straight and then automatically gearing down with auto rev-matching into corners, and how it was good in bumper to bumper driving. I said I don't have to drive in city traffic where I live and enjoy the stick. What I didn't say is I also wanted something waaay more exotic and exclusive than a 911 anything, and that I had really enjoyed making him my ***** around the track all day! Knowing how awesome his DCT is just makes my achievement all the more rewarding, and does exactly that every time I track it against the latest high-end appliances.

I would like to acknowledge that there are several members that do not fall into the descriptions of members noted above, and I used the words "generally" and "usually" partly for that reason. I have the greatest respect for those of you who don't climb on the blame-game bandwagon and help to spread the word of what a great car the Gen V is, whether you own one or not.

So my point is that most existing Viper owners don't share a passion for the track performance that SRT very successfully focused on, and I'm not sure it's any surprise they want different things from the car. Those who are after world-class track performance are likely already connected to another brand like BMW and Porsche, and their owner's clubs likely offer a more appealing ownership/track experience. That leaves guys like me who weren't connected to a brand and simply bought an incredibly capable track car that appealed to me on many other levels as well.

Last edited:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper has potentially much higher limits than the Porsches on the track and otherwise (except a draw with a 991 GT2, and excluding the 918 hypercar). The Viper also does not look nearly as pedestrian as the Porsche. I voted with my wallet and purchased a gen v gts and it is an awesome car. I would not trade even-up fpor a 991 TTs.

Those who believe the Viper should be at a lower price are dreaming. it will not have higher content and performance and a lower price for an exotic, hand-built car.

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is just the latest in a long line that encourages members to criticize the Gen V and SRT from their first moves till their last. These threads are usually started by someone you know will never buy the Gen V, and finding fault with the car must help them justify that decision. They're almost always an attempt to find fault and direct blame. The OP of this thread doesn't recognize the focus of the Viper design team to make this a worthy and world class track day car...right out of the showroom, no mods, even providing the 6 point harness mounts! I'm sure he's not alone.

Nope, I just don't see Porsche buyers being drawn to the Viper identity, or lack of one, and the lack of an organized community with a shared interest in track performance and use. Same applies to the BMW buyer. But I do see some of them being drawn to the Gen V's styling, reliability, features, performance, exclusivity, value...and its uncompromising commitment to be perhaps the finest analogue driver's car that you can buy. Many Porsche GT3 fans didn't want to loose the manual, or hydraulic steering, didn't want 4 wheel steering, audio system enhanced exhaust, and half the nannies. Gen V is a car for them. And I'm sure the Gen V would appeal to many more exotic high performance buyers if they had a chance to experience it, and if they didn't get hung up on it not being built by one of the exotic brands.

I chose the car for all the important things that it is, not for the unimportant things that it isn't which get discussed over and over in these threads. I see actual buyers of cars in this price range choosing the Gen V and being thrilled with it, and turned off by the forum, and I see non-buyers joining these constant *****-fests. I'd just like to see some of them buy something else to give their opinions some credibility as being given by someone actually in the market, but no such luck for the rest of us that are left to endure their presence. You'd expect this forum to have "Enthusiasts" and non-Gen V owners asking questions to learn more about the car and owners discussing their cars. Instead you have mostly previous Gen owners criticising everything from A-Z and Gen V owners increasingly tuning out in disgust.

Here's how I see it:

Porsche faithful celebrate the slow evolution of the classic 911 shape...Viper faithful want bold and new.
Porsche faithful love and expect a high level of refinement...Viper faithful don't care, and want price slashed.
Porsche faithful embrace the car's performance even though it isn't tops, even the 911 GT3/RS...Viper faithful aren't happy even when it is tops, make lists of things to change, or just bring out a Gen VI.
Porsche faithful embrace a fundamentally flawed engine layout, and any nannies that can help remedy that...Viper faithful want nannies because Porsche has them.
Porsche faithful exist in a culture grounded in road course track performance...Viper faithful don't have clue one about road course performance, just want to have, or have ability to make more power.
Porsche designs the 911 to win races and for its massive following of track enthusiasts...SRT/Dodge succeeds at the same goal and the Viper faithful could care less as they add to their lists of demands.
Porsche faithful understand what their 911 is ...Viper faithful are all over the map on what it is, and more often, what they think it should be.
Porsche faithful pay ever high prices, including very expensive options...Viper faithful are very price sensitive, most needing a price decrease.

When I use "Porsche faithful" I mean strong enthusiasts of the car, whether they own or not. Many owners do buy newer versions as the basic formula doesn't change...the results just keep getting better, and they see value in the small but steady upgrades. The "Viper faithful" seem quite fractured in their wants, but seem to want everything whether it's needed or not. They feel having it is the key to happiness, and if they are given it they would buy....although the chance of them getting what they want in a Viper at a price they're willing to pay may be very remote.

I met the owner of a one day old 2014 911 GT3 at a track day yesterday. He's done some of the same track events I have for at least 10 years. He said he loved the look of my TA and asked how I came to choose it. I said I liked the styling, missed having a manual in my recent XKR and wanted one again, and liked the refinements incorporated in the new Viper. He told me the GT3 was very refined and that the DCT was so great, ripping down the straight and then automatically gearing down with auto rev-matching into corners, and how it was good in bumper to bumper driving. I said I don't have to drive in city traffic where I live and enjoy the stick. What I didn't say is I also wanted something waaay more exotic and exclusive than a 911 anything, and that I had really enjoyed making him my ***** around the track all day! Knowing how awesome his DCT is just makes my achievement all the more rewarding, and does exactly that every time I track it against the latest high-end appliances.

I would like to acknowledge that there are several members that do not fall into the descriptions of members noted above, and I used the words "generally" and "usually" partly for that reason. I have the greatest respect for those of you who don't climb on the blame-game bandwagon and help to spread the word of what a great car the Gen V is, whether you own one or not.

So my point is that most existing Viper owners don't share a passion for the track performance that SRT very successfully focused on, and I'm not sure it's any surprise they want different things from the car. Those who are after world-class track performance are likely already connected to another brand like BMW and Porsche, and their owner's clubs likely offer a more appealing ownership/track experience. That leaves guys like me who weren't connected to a brand and simply bought an incredibly capable track car that appealed to me on many other levels as well.
WOW.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it that everytime someone mentions the reasons why it failed at "selling" for some reason people hear "we think its a bad car", "its not competitive at all performance-wise", "its not good enough to be worth 100-120k" etc?

Sorry but my statements above are purely from the marketing standpoint, which lets face it, was one of the most critical aspects that led to the cars failure, not the forum negativity etc. If the Porsche crowd and the like cared only about performance they would be driving any Gen 2 on Viper because frankly they kicked the Porsches, Ferrari's etc butt on tracks for over a decade, especially the G4. My point is not that the G5 isnt a hell of a car, it is. But that crowd that Dodge aimed it at want more than just performance thats why they will buy a GT3/GT2 etc even though the Viper is faster than both. In this demographic they care more about refinement, technology, heritage, snob factor etc. So if you want to sell to that crowd you have to sell them what they want period...They did not do that and no amount of Viper track records etc will get them into a Viper in the numbers they wanted.

The Viper has been showing Porsche, Ferrari etc its tail lights around tracks for over a decade now. The G5 is not the first Viper to do so on tracks. Yet despite its clear performance advantage around a track that demographic did not and with G5 show that will not cross shop with the like of a Viper that still retains its "Viperness" that lots of us love. Its just the wrong demographic to go after hence my words above. So if they really want to go after that echelon of buyers they have a lot more work to do. Does that statement mean the Viper is garbage in our minds? OF COURSE NOT. Just like you would shop steak knives for cutting steak instead of a butter knife even though you could still cut the steak with a butter knife, most that want that kind of refined track car will not go for a "comparitively" unrefined track car even though they both can do the same kind of work. I just think for the Viper to succeed in TODAY'S era its going to need more than it has currently to even get that demographic to even go to the dealer. The Dealer situation is another black eye with the Viper trying to compete with the likes of Porsche. I just don't know how no one can see how poorly aimed the G5 was. And this isnt hind site as many of us called it way before the results spoke for themselves.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like you're still blaming the car, the launch and the dealer for Porsche and Ferrari buyers not coming over. I'm suggesting they wouldn't have come over anyways, and a DCT and CCBs might earn some creds but won't earn their dollars. They're just very happy with their prestigous brands, and the guys who track theirs enjoy their communities that support tracking. Dodge has no prestige and no Gen V track community. SRT branding was an attempt to establish a more prestigous brand and that got axed by higher powers. Dodge sadly exists at or near the bottom when it comes to prestige, and the weight of that will forever hold back the Viper in the $100+ market. The effect of bringing the Viper back under the Dodge brand is unfortunate. I know some really serious driving and performance enthusiasts will look past that, but they won't be coming over from the established marques in significant numbers. Cross-shoppers will be upgrading and trickling in from other brands and Dodge itself.

There is no easy fix, and even low traditional Viper sales levels will be difficult to maintain as the price has needed to move beyond that of what traditional Viper buyers were willing/able to support or pay for a car they perceive to be largely the same as the old. SRT knew they were going to need the cross shopper, but that's no walk in the park either.
Why is it that everytime someone mentions the reasons why it failed at "selling" for some reason people hear "we think its a bad car", "its not competitive at all performance-wise", "its not good enough to be worth 100-120k" etc?

Sorry but my statements above are purely from the marketing standpoint, which lets face it, was one of the most critical aspects that led to the cars failure, not the forum negativity etc. If the Porsche crowd and the like cared only about performance they would be driving any Gen 2 on Viper because frankly they kicked the Porsches, Ferrari's etc butt on tracks for over a decade, especially the G4. My point is not that the G5 isnt a hell of a car, it is. But that crowd that Dodge aimed it at want more than just performance thats why they will buy a GT3/GT2 etc even though the Viper is faster than both. In this demographic they care more about refinement, technology, heritage, snob factor etc. So if you want to sell to that crowd you have to sell them what they want period...They did not do that and no amount of Viper track records etc will get them into a Viper in the numbers they wanted.

The Viper has been showing Porsche, Ferrari etc its tail lights around tracks for over a decade now. The G5 is not the first Viper to do so on tracks. Yet despite its clear performance advantage around a track that demographic did not and with G5 show that will not cross shop with the like of a Viper that still retains its "Viperness" that lots of us love. Its just the wrong demographic to go after hence my words above. So if they really want to go after that echelon of buyers they have a lot more work to do. Does that statement mean the Viper is garbage in our minds? OF COURSE NOT. Just like you would shop steak knives for cutting steak instead of a butter knife even though you could still cut the steak with a butter knife, most that want that kind of refined track car will not go for a "comparitively" unrefined track car even though they both can do the same kind of work. I just think for the Viper to succeed in TODAY'S era its going to need more than it has currently to even get that demographic to even go to the dealer. The Dealer situation is another black eye with the Viper trying to compete with the likes of Porsche. I just don't know how no one can see how poorly aimed the G5 was. And this isnt hind site as many of us called it way before the results spoke for themselves.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My point of view is based more on increasing sales and expanding the customer base, not necessarily performance.
As I have said before, the lower than expected G5 sales alarms me.

I suppose you have a point, though the car has always been a bit of a niche market catering to those who wanted to be better drivers themselves as opposed to relying on the car to do it for them. I guess we're just getting lazier as a society and that niche is dying, lol. I can see how new tech would help to get some of the younger generation interested, but I guess what I always liked about the Viper was that it attracted people like me who wanted the same mechanical link to the car. Since you could only get it one way, most of the people who bought (and kept) their cars had similar mindsets. Several others bought them because they were "the thing" at the time, but quickly found out an analogue car with that kind of performance was more than they wanted to handle. I've heard several humorous stories of people scaring themselves so bad in the car they wouldn't drive it again.

Seems like other companies manage out of the box cars well enough, like Ariel with the Atom, Pagani with all of their crazy stuff, etc, though I guess you really do tend to pay more of a premium for those, but the companies are still in business making cars. It just doesn't seem like slow sales should be such a death sentence for a car when it feels like there are so many other examples of low volume cars out there that are still being offered.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm suggesting they wouldn't have come over anyways, and a DCT and CCBs might earn some creds but won't earn their dollars. They're just very happy with their prestigous brands, and the guys who track theirs enjoy their communities that support tracking. Dodge has no prestige and no Gen V track community. SRT branding was an attempt to establish a more prestigous brand and that got axed by higher powers. Dodge sadly exists at or near the bottom when it comes to prestige, and the weight of that will forever hold back the Viper in the $100+ market.

This is 100000% correct Bruce. As long as the car carries the name "Viper" and the manufacturer is Dodge it will never attract cross shoppers from the higher quality brands.
It doesn't matter what the motor is, or the track times. Dodge is perceived as lower tier car manufacturer and I don't know how they get passed that.
A visit to the local Dodge dealer reinforces that to an alarming degree.
The baggage from the old days of being a slapped together POS in many peoples eyes (Gen 1 and 2) with a huge motor is insurmountable.

And IMO modeling the Gen V after the bad old days design (in a lot of the public's mind) was a huge fail.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge could really use a world class halo car to start changing their image and drawing those who will buy an expensive (read profitable) car. It took years to establish their current reputation and it will take years to change it. They'll need to be in it for the long hall to invest in a better reputation and an ability to sell profitable cars. It will require a change from top to bottom, everything they build, and the way they sell. Maybe Fiat should park a Gen V in their Ferrari and Maserati stores for exposure. But they should also be able to more easily by-pass their own reputation with the Viper because it really is designed and built by a separate car company from Dodge, with little more than ownership shared, at more easily when it was SRT. Ferrari and Maserati aren't held back by their parent company's reputation either I don't think.

It's doable, but again, the car isn't the problem. It's a niche (read profitable) car, and that's not a bad thing at all if they could figure out how to sell more...or survive on the traditional volume levels at its current higher (read profitable) price :)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dodge could really use a world class halo car to start changing their image and drawing those who will buy an expensive (read profitable) car. It took years to establish their current reputation and it will take years to change it. They'll need to be in it for the long hall to invest in a better reputation and an ability to sell profitable cars. It will require a change from top to bottom, everything they build, and the way they sell. Maybe Fiat should park a Gen V in their Ferrari and Maserati stores for exposure. But they should also be able to more easily by-pass their own reputation with the Viper because it really is designed and built by a separate car company from Dodge, with little more than ownership shared, at more easily when it was SRT. Ferrari and Maserati aren't held back by their parent company's reputation either I don't think.

It's doable, but again, the car isn't the problem. It's a niche (read profitable) car, and that's not a bad thing at all if they could figure out how to sell more...or survive on the traditional volume levels at its current higher (read profitable) price :)

I think this is probably the key. Go to any Dodge dealer and look at the inventory they stock and the large range of cars they sell. The Viper sticks out like a sore thumb and most dealers don't know how to deal with the car. Most see expensive cars as prestigous, something which the Dodge name doesn't evoke in the same was as someone like Mercedes. Sure not every car Mercedes makes is prestigous (they make econo-boxes too to some degree), but their names carries the weight in that occasion. The Viper is a bit of the opposite. It is a prestigous car, but when you sell sub $20k cars on the same lot with the same sales people, the company name can't carry the car, the car has to stand on its own. When everything around it on the lot is a "general public" kind of car, it almost comes across more as a novelty. When it's parked next to cars of a similar caliber, it will start to be associated with them and compared against them.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like you're still blaming the car, the launch and the dealer for Porsche and Ferrari buyers not coming over. I'm suggesting they wouldn't have come over anyways, and a DCT and CCBs might earn some creds but won't earn their dollars. They're just very happy with their prestigous brands, and the guys who track theirs enjoy their communities that support tracking. Dodge has no prestige and no Gen V track community. SRT branding was an attempt to establish a more prestigous brand and that got axed by higher powers. Dodge sadly exists at or near the bottom when it comes to prestige, and the weight of that will forever hold back the Viper in the $100+ market. The effect of bringing the Viper back under the Dodge brand is unfortunate. I know some really serious driving and performance enthusiasts will look past that, but they won't be coming over from the established marques in significant numbers. Cross-shoppers will be upgrading and trickling in from other brands and Dodge itself.

There is no easy fix, and even low traditional Viper sales levels will be difficult to maintain as the price has needed to move beyond that of what traditional Viper buyers were willing/able to support or pay for a car they perceive to be largely the same as the old. SRT knew they were going to need the cross shopper, but that's no walk in the park either.

Bruce I am not blaming the car I am blaming the marketing of the car. They are the ones that wanted to attract that crowd with the G5. What I am saying is there goals could not have been achieved by the G5 so they aimed the car at the wrong crowd. I don't understand why that is being misconstrued. Simply put their goals and the Viper did not line up and someone should have recognized that. Like I have said over and over bad marketing will sink even a great product. Cross shoppers would be great but you have to aim it at the correct cross shopper imho and Porsche etc wasnt/isnt that crowd. I dont know how much clearer I can be on that.

I agree with you there is no easy fix in this era for a car like the "Dodge" Viper as the majority are moving away from the essense of what makes the Viper great to this niche. that is the reason they tried to go with the SRT brand unfortunately the masses still saw it as a Dodge....

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is a bit of the opposite. It is a prestigous car, but when you sell sub $20k cars on the same lot with the same sales people, the company name can't carry the car, the car has to stand on its own. When everything around it on the lot is a "general public" kind of car

Nissan sells a lot of GTR's right next to base model Altima's.

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is probably the key. Go to any Dodge dealer and look at the inventory they stock and the large range of cars they sell. The Viper sticks out like a sore thumb and most dealers don't know how to deal with the car. Most see expensive cars as prestigous, something which the Dodge name doesn't evoke in the same was as someone like Mercedes. Sure not every car Mercedes makes is prestigous (they make econo-boxes too to some degree), but their names carries the weight in that occasion. The Viper is a bit of the opposite. It is a prestigous car, but when you sell sub $20k cars on the same lot with the same sales people, the company name can't carry the car, the car has to stand on its own. When everything around it on the lot is a "general public" kind of car, it almost comes across more as a novelty. When it's parked next to cars of a similar caliber, it will start to be associated with them and compared against them.

Couldn't you say the same thing about Nissan and the GTR? Nissan isn't exactly the marquee of japanese brands but I guess the GTR has had the reputation but wasn't offered here before 2009. It's not like the service at Nissan is any better than Dodge. I think the performance was what was able to sell this car as well as the technology behind it but while it is quicker than a Viper, it certainly isn't faster and it certainly isn't better looking.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Fiat would be happy placing a Ferrari & Maserati in a Dodge Dealership...for Exposure, there sure aren't
any Ferrari or Maserati dealers in my area.. This would not work. I'm sorry but i have to say 2015 should be the last
year of the Viper. Look at the history of Viper. Closing the Plant down, years without the viper. Maybe this new deal with
Prefix will allow Rousch (which built the CC), Saleen or someone else to make a Roller. Then you could go to Tator, Tom Sessions,
Woodhouse, Badd Boyzz, Roe, ect..ect...for your drive train install or do it yourself.

OP
OP
S

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce I am not blaming the car I am blaming the marketing of the car. They are the ones that wanted to attract that crowd with the G5. What I am saying is there goals could not have been achieved by the G5 so they aimed the car at the wrong crowd. I don't understand why that is being misconstrued. Simply put their goals and the Viper did not line up and someone should have recognized that. Like I have said over and over bad marketing will sink even a great product. Cross shoppers would be great but you have to aim it at the correct cross shopper imho and Porsche etc wasnt/isnt that crowd. I dont know how much clearer I can be on that.
You're wasting your time with him; I have tried over and over.
He just ignores anything that doesn't fit into his personally constructed paradigm.

Maybe it is an attempt at justifying his purchase...I don't know.
All I do know is it's hard to take him seriously.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to mostly agree with the latest comments.
My main issue with the new Gen V is the gearbox and the unwillingness to offer a DCT.
I did test drive the Gen V and it was the hardest box I have ever driven. This includes (2000 models) All porches, all vettes and all mustangs (even GT500). More specifically the clutch and gear lever effort is simply not acceptable. I even drove a Gen 4 viper and it was not that bad.
Even for the track, I do not understand the fun in having such hard actions.
You have to make it livable to attract cross shoppers. Right now, I view the gearbox as the number one challenge. I am not saying to kill it, just offer a DCT option which will also make it a lot quicker for drag racing.
(look at the new ZF box in the Vanquish, it improved its o-60 times by 1/2 second)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nissan sells a lot of GTR's right next to base model Altima's.

The simple fact is Japanese cars have a reputation for higher quality and attention to build detail.
Buy a Honda, drive it 200K miles with occasional oil changes.
Some people think of American manufacturers as drunk UAW workers smoking *** at lunch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R