The guantlet has been laid down for the ACRX: 599XX goes sub-7 mins at Ring

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ferrari 599XX "production derived" race car (sounds an awfully lot like an ACRX) has run a 6:58.16 lap at the 'Ring. Come on ACRX!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FJj8atDGBz...&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FJj8atDGBz...xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Dang it. Looks like I cannot figure out how to embed the video. Can anyone help out?

You must be registered for see images

"Maranello, 23 April 2010 - The Ferrari 599XX is the first ever production-derived sports car to break the 7-minute barrier on the classic 20.832 km Nordschleife circuit, lapping in 6 min 58.16 sec.

The 599XX, which inspired the 599 GTO, is an extreme berlinetta designed for track but not official competition use, and is a veritable technological laboratory incorporating a number of innovative solutions. Some of these will remain the exclusive preserve of the 599XX while others have already filtered down to the 599 GTO, introduced today at the Beijing Motor Show. These include the wheel doughnuts of F1 derivation which serve two purposes - to reduce turbulence and thus drag, and improve brake cooling.

Powered by a development of the V12 engine used by the 599 GTB Fiorano, the 599XX features Ferrari's High-Performance Dynamic Concept, a novel integrated design and chassis set-up that uses sophisticated electronics to govern the mechanical limits of the handling for maximum performance.

On the aerodynamics front, the car sees the introduction for the first time of the Actiflow™ System that increases downforce and/or cuts drag depending on the car’s trim during cornering. This, together with other careful detailing, ensures that the 599XX boasts extraordinary levels of downforce - up to 630 kg at 300 km/h.

Fundamental to the performance of the car was the development of specific components undertaken together with our technical partners: Brembo for the carbon-ceramic brakes, Michelin for the tyres and Shell for the fuel and lubricants."

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to get Dodge.......................Or Fiat get teh ACR-X over to the Ring and lay down a hard winning number. I will volunteer my services as the driver at no charge.............................. :D :D

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you consider the 599 XX record to be considered in the same car class? There are several (5 or 6?) cars that ran quicker than the ACR, but they're not comparable cars.

The 599 XX is not a production car. You might as well consider the ACR time as a crushing 34+ second loss to a Radical. :dunno:

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 599 XX is not a production car. You might as well consider the ACR time as a crushing 34+ second loss to a Radical. :dunno:
No no you are getting is twisted: I'm talking about the "not street legal" soon to arrive Viper ACRX now has something to whoop. Not the regular ACR.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wikipedia descriptions... Where is the line drawn ?

599XX
The 599XX is a car designed for track use, based on 599 GTB. The rev limiter is raised to 9000 rpm, with the engine rated for 700 PS (510 kW; 690 hp) at 9000 rpm. Weight is reduced by cutting the weight of the engine unit components, and use of composites and carbon-fibre body parts, carbon-fibre brake pads. A new gearbox shift strategy is introduced to cut overall gear change time to 60 ms. Aerodynamics were retuned to give more downforce (280 kg (617 lb) @ 200 km/h, 630 kg (1,389 lb) @ 300 km/h). The car also includes 29/67 R19 front and 31/71 R19 rear tires with 19 x 11J wheel rims at the front and 19 x 12J at the rear.

The car was unveiled at the 2009 Geneva Auto Show.[4]

Viper ACR

The back of the new Dodge Viper ACR at the 2009 North American International Auto Show.The American Club Racing (ACR) model was introduced in 1999. This model featured suspension and engine enhancements focused on maximizing performance in road racing and autocross environments. Horsepower was (by way of K&N air filters and smooth intake tubes) bumped to 460 hp (370 kW) in these models, while torque went to 500 lb·ft (678 N·m). Weight was reduced by over 50 pounds (23 kg) by stripping the interior and removing other non essential items such as the fog lamps (replacing them with brake ducts). The new stiffer, adjustable suspension removed another 14 pounds (6.4 kg) Along with engine and handling mods, these models are distinguished by an "ACR" badge, along with 20 spoke BBS wheels.

A new ACR was added to the Viper line up after the 2008 model year. Its upgrades are more drastic than the original, including street legal racing tires, two piece brake rotors, adjustable suspension, and significant aerodynamic revision. No engine modifications were made, so figures remain at 600 hp (450 kW) and 560 lb·ft (760 N·m) as in the base car. The ACR gives an advantage of being street legal. The ACR is similar to the MOPAR Viper that Dodge displayed at various auto shows. Weight is also decreased by as much as 80 lb (36 kg) by way of the "******** Package" which deletes radio, speakers, amplifier, trunk carpet, hood pad and tire inflator. Its aerodynamic upgrades produce 1000 lbf (4.4 kN) of down-force at 150 mph (240 km/h), or roughly 10 times the downforce the base Viper SRT-10 can produce at the same speed. No upgrades were given to the interior except for the addition of a professional beacon-tripped lap timer.

The Viper ACR is built alongside the standard SRT-10 at the Conner Avenue plant in Detroit. The aerodynamic components are produced and assembled to the vehicle by Prefix Corporation located in Rochester Hills, Michigan.[16]

[edit] Viper ACR-X
To commemorate the end of the fourth generation Viper and mend the gap from the car's production end until the release of the new car, Dodge is offering an improved version of the ACR specifically designed to run in the Dodge Viper Cup Series. The new car, dubbed Viper ACR-X, takes the basic ACR and adds 40 hp (30 kW), a new set of downforce enhancing front canards, and new materials that, along with a stripped interior, reduces weight to 3,300 lb (1,500 kg). It is a purpose built race car, and is not street legal. According to Dodge, the car beat the regular record holding ACR around Laguna Seca by about four seconds (1:33.9 to 1:31). Price has only increased by $12,000 US, bringing the total cost to $110,000. Production is slated for the spring of 2010.[17]

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR-X does not have Lexan glass, pop-off hood, etc. I really don't think it's in the same class, although technically it might be. The F car looks like a full blown race car. To be honest, the CC was closer to a full-out race car than the ACR-X will be. The F car vs. ACR-X is like LMP vs. GT classes in ALMS.

Besides, all it takes is money to set records. How much does the Ferrari cost? At the prices I'm guessing, it had better damn well blow the doors off the ACR-X.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
599XX = $1.2 million

I'll take 11 ACR-X's instead please... :)

I'm not sure if the ACR-X could best that time, but I wouldn't care!

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
come on man.. that is a race car. The viper ACR is a production car.. Without even getting into the cost difference. Which you could buy your entire block ACR's, for the cost of that thing.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No no you are getting is twisted: I'm talking about the "not street legal" soon to arrive Viper ACRX now has something to whoop. Not the regular ACR.

I guess I got (foolishly) annoyed when you "threw down the gauntlet". Against the ACRX or the copmp coupe...it be an interesting competition. Of course we'd still have left a few hundred grand on the table.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I love Vipers. I OWN a Viper. If the ACRx gets around Nurbergring in 7:15 for less than a tenth of the cost of a unobtainable Ferrari that is a major accomplishment. But OMG would us Viper guys be loving it if the ACRX's meaningful new 5th gear meant a lot more time than we think and it was that fast. Woo Hoo!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Fiat invested some additional money into testing the ACRX, I am sure it would come close, if not beat it. Remember the engineers mentioned that the ACR could dip into the teens with some more track time. The 7:23 was posted on the third or forth lap of testing. Also worthly to note is that the ACRX ran almost 4 seconds faster around Luguna Seca then the stock ACR. With that said I am sure it would be at least 15 plus seconds faster around the ring.

Unfortunately I dont think Fiat is interested in having the adopted stepchild worth $100,000 smash the time of thier $1,200,000 690hp racecar for which they invested tens of millions in development.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apples and Oranges compared to ACR. ACRX is closer.

As much as a I applaud the 7:22 Ring ACR time, after watching that Video (rev-limiter bounces, etc.), I suspect there is easily another 15+ seconds that can be shaved off by using the 2010 ACR with better gear ratios and a factory effort--and this from a street-legal $100k car! :usa:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another good point. When you watch video he is all over the rev limiter in 4th and seems to hover around for some time in the long straights. I gaurantee that is why they changed 5th for 2010. That is surely worth 4-5 seconds.

Hey I love Vipers. I OWN a Viper. If the ACRx gets around Nurbergring in 7:15 for less than a tenth of the cost of a unobtainable Ferrari that is a major accomplishment. But OMG would us Viper guys be loving it if the ACRX's meaningful new 5th gear meant a lot more time than we think and it was that fast. Woo Hoo!

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what a 599GTB or GTO time would be; that would be a better comparison to the ACR's time.
"I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!" This post is about the ACR-X not the regular ACR.

Extra points if you can get the movie reference. Best comedy since "Caddyshack."

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In full race trim Vipers have ALREADY beaten this time... the ol' GTS-Rs were lapping the N-Ring in the 6:40's back while they were ruling the FIA world. So yes, full race trim makes a BIG DIFFERENCE. Even an ACR-X will have a hard time beating those old times.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would bet a WC/GT2 Comp Coupe without restrictors in place would be very similar-and of course a very good driver.An ACRX just weighs too much.Remember-that Ferrari is not a street car!

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A WC Comp Coupe running the new 8.4L motor on Michelins would be faster. An ACRX would be a closer match. Given Laguna times of 1:33 (ACR) and 1:30 (ACRX) and Sebring times of 2:15 (ACR) and 2:09 (ACRX) equates to the ACRX being about 4 to 5% quicker. Applying that to the N-ring and we get 6:59.9 to 7:04.3 lap times. Also as mentioned above the new 5th gear ratio would lower the times even further. My opinion, ACRX beats the 599XX time.

-David

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!" This post is about the ACR-X not the regular ACR.

Extra points if you can get the movie reference. Best comedy since "Caddyshack."

I think it's from Zoolander (Will Farrell) but the comparison putting it on the same level as Caddyshack has me a little uncertain.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's from Zoolander (Will Farrell) but the comparison putting it on the same level as Caddyshack has me a little uncertain.
We have a winnar! Watch it again. It is a classic: "WE HAVE A WALK-OFF!"

To keep this thread in line: I have to say I would be nowhere worthy in trying to set a fast time anywhere in any Viper. From guys who know, what kind of time can super-fantastic driving save ona 'Ring lap versus just plain good driving? Ten seconds? 20 Seconds?

"Hansel, there for a second, when she was sandwiched between the Maori Tribesman and the Finnish Dwarf, I realized . . . this is a woman I'd like to spend the rest of my life with."

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For most, the street car version of any vehicle is the only important time around The Ring. ACR still holds it (for now), so that is good enough. The 599XX is impressive but, for a race car where they can almost do whatever they want within the rule sets and as big a check as you can write, what does this all matter? Comes down to money. Lots of cash for the 599XX.

What I kind of find funny is that many of us want some of the smoother, rounded lines of a Ferrari on the next GEN Viper, but it appears that Ferrari wants some of the styling cues from the GEN IV on the 599XX. They are all over that 599XX from what I can see.

Those little paddes off the steering wheel are a lot of the difference as well.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 599XX is a one bad ****. I'd put money on the ACR-X if it was allowed to run totally uncorked (there is a lot more power available than we're getting now IMO), rear gears of choice and more than just one afternoon of practice to dial the car in.

One the back straight of the Ring, the 599XX stayed at an indicated 186 mph for 14 seconds. If the ACR-X is geared to top out at 190 mph in 5th, I think we'll have a faster Ring time.

Cheers,
George

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, we now know about the 599XX at the 'Ring, it's badass.
Now let's see the ACR-X at the 'Ring.
It should be a very interesting comparison.
Regardless of price.

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with this statement:
"The Ferrari 599XX is the first ever production-derived sports car to break the 7-minute barrier on the classic 20.832 km Nordschleife circuit, lapping in 6 min 58.16 sec."

I think the Viper Comp Coupe is production-derived.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There was mention of the ACR which set the 7:22 lap record so I didn't think I was going too far on a tangent. I have more interest in street driven cars for lap records. Anyway, I do agree it would be terrific to see the ACR-X beat the 599XX time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang