The Hiss Affect

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am sure the more seasoned owner is used to it by now, but as a new owner I still find it fascinating the affect that the Viper has on surrounding drivers.

Last night was driving down a multi lane road and Vette was in the RH turn lane. I was 1 deep behind another car in LH straight lane. Anyway the Vette races off the line avoiding the right hand turn leaping in front straight lane now next to me but I still have the other car in front. He drifts rearward slowing to allow me to come up beside him then revs his engine to *********** the exhaust, dumps the clutch, burns some rubber, and then hits second gear.

Just makes my evening to see comical things people to do to be noticed.

This venom seems to infect many. This has played out mutltiple times over the past few weeks with various attention getting stunts from all kinds of vehicles....some not even what most would call sporty. (a clunky farm truck...with a teen driver)

All I can say is it makes my ride enjoyable. :2tu:

Oh and the same night, while at the BP station tanking up, the car next to me pulls forward, pull out his 35mm camera and asks to take a picture of the Viper.

The Hiss Affect is fun....isn't it.

L84AD8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel. People constantly pulling up next to you and taking pictures and video. Young and old alike.

Have not gotten used to the crazies wanting to race you on the street. Mustang pulled up alongside last week and his car was set up for the strip. Very nice looking actually. He revved the engine and put the rubber to the road. Probably running well over 100 mph in a 45 mph zone. I just let him go on by himself.:lmao:

But what amazed me was that he waited for me to come alongside for another race. I never did get up next to him over the next 5 miles and I could tell he was getting aggravated. I eventually pulled into a bank parking lot, did a 360 and came back out onto the same road. Passed him coming the other direction. I suppose he went up and turned around to find me.:2tu:

Love this car and all the compliments I receive. Never had the attention in the two vettes I owned.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
u aint seen nothin... The average person mistakes a Gen3/4 for a Vette.

just imagine driving a Gen1/2 Viper:D

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting. I get gawks and stares, but no one trying to race. However, when I am in the Superbee SRT8 (Detonator Yellow), I get the peeps who want some race action, which I don't do. Maybe the color? Not sure.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
u aint seen nothin... The average person mistakes a Gen3/4 for a Vette.

just imagine driving a Gen1/2 Viper:D

ha ha ha..here we go again..

In all seriousness the same way the guys react to seeing the 85K rare viper is no differant that the way most of us would act if we saw a 200K lambo or F430..
Let me see a F430 cruising and I guarantee you Ill be just like the mustang/vette guys who see my car and be trying to egg him on..

Let him see an anzo or bugatti and again the same thing..

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm still getting used to this as well. Went out for a quick cruise up the road. In 45 minutes I totalled 3 cars that rev'd their motors next to me, 2 kids that practically wrecked their Civic while rubbernecking me, 1 minivan pulled alongside to snap pix, and 1 pharmacist comped my prescription because they "couldn't stop drooling" over my car. Just another night in the viper. :)

ucfCIVIL31

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like we all have some pretty similar days in the Viper.

The fiance was at CVS/WalGreens the other day picking up some of our engagement pictures and the photo kid said that was a "nice vette" she responded back to him "you better not let my fiance hear you calling his Viper that"....evidently the kid turned red with embarassment.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only had my Silver/Blue GTS since January and logged a little over 1,000 miles. I knew the car would turn heads because they have certainly always got mine spinning in those rare instances when I would see one but I didn't realize to what extent. It's one thing to label a car as a Head Turner but from what I observe when driving around I would say that "Jaw Dropper" would be more appropriate. Not everybody but quite often I look over and actually see people with their mouths open and jaws hanging like some type of involuntary reflex from the Shock and Awe effect.

I'm almost willing to bet that for every mile you drive a Viper there will be at least 1 picture of your car taken.

Not to get a Big Head or anything over this stuff but in some ways it's a good feeling to know that you can have a positive affect on somebody's day just by driving your car down the road for the people that appreciate these cars.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pulling into the Tilted Kilt parking lot when I saw a car backing out of the first spot, only to see a C5 vette on the other side already waiting for it with blinkers on. Once he saw me and the other car left, he waved me in to take the first spot and drove around to take another. Good people.

93rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper effect caused accident yesterday!! I was waiting to turn left at a stop light and traffic was begginning to slow coming the opposite direction. Some truck coming the opposite direction was staring at my car instead of the traffic coming to a stop in front of him and he locked up into a 4 wheel skid rear-ending the car in front of him which was literaly at my 3/4 panel. I actually felt kinda guilty driving the car for the first time.....I've owned a lot of head turning cars prior to this, but I can't say any of them ever caused an accident before.

OP
OP
G

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ha ha ha..here we go again..

In all seriousness the same way the guys react to seeing the 85K rare viper is no differant that the way most of us would act if we saw a 200K lambo or F430..
Let me see a F430 cruising and I guarantee you Ill be just like the mustang/vette guys who see my car and be trying to egg him on..

Let him see an anzo or bugatti and again the same thing..

Actually as a long term car guy, I look at any cool car. The new Mustang, Camaro, Challenger as well as the exotics. I was in South Beach over spring break. You need a chiropracter after looking at the cars there. :eater:

2Lethal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello everyone, new to the board and new to the viper scene, best car i have ever had was my 1968 camaro that was in the process of being turned into a pro-touring car but i never drove it except around the block, i just traded it today for a red 2003 srt/10 vert and today was one of the coolest days i could have had riding in a car, me and my brother spent four hours just cruising the streets in the car and i could not believe how many people waved and yelled out there cars, it amazed me how people were waving and talking at the stop lights, i didn't know how to act, my pops rode with me for awhile and he was smiling the whole time and saying look at those people looking, ect. i never could have imagined anything like owning a viper and thank GOD that i have been given the chance as it is only something i could ever dream of.

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of my funniest moment so far was driving my car back from the US, I see a corvette coming in other lane and I see that it's a dealer car with someone test driving it

as it passes by, I see the driver and passenger (probably the Chevy rep) both take a long look at my car

guy probably left the Chevrolet dealership after the test drive and went to Dodge to test a Viper ;)

V

Venomiss

Imagine having hundreds of Vipers all in one spot.:)
For the newbies here be sure and check out what Viper Owners Invitational (VOI) is.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insurance companies incorporate the hiss factor into your payments. Not because there is a higher chance of YOU getting into an accident because you own a Viper, but rather, the chances of everyone else AROUND YOU getting into an accident is higher.
:omg::D

OP
OP
G

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Insurance companies incorporate the hiss factor into your payments. Not because there is a higher chance of YOU getting into an accident because you own a Viper, but rather, the chances of everyone else AROUND YOU getting into an accident is higher.
:omg::D

Seriously! :rolaugh: I had a guy driving down the interstate looking out his back window at me. :omg: Really safe!

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I get people taking pics of my car all the time. Driving, or when parked. I sometimes have to wait for them to get the shot. They always say "Sorry, Just had to get a pic of that car!!!" I usually say something to the effect of "I get it all the time, it's part of the fun of ownership."

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 Vipers and a Blue Challenger get big attention from idiots.
This past weekend on a NY/CT cruise I was in the left lane on the NYS thruway. I looked to the right, saw a GTS:2tu: I looked past him and saw a Toyota Corolla passing him on the right.. it took me a second to realize the Corolla was ON THE SHOULDER, flying past us at over 90mph. 3 kids in the car buzzed past us, we kept up for a minute to see what they were up to, but they were totally reckless, in and out of traffic in a car that is not cut out for it.
Thankfully, several miles later we saw them on the side of the road having a conversation with a NYS Trooper as we slipped past... I'm sure the driver told the trooper that his accelerator was stuck so he needed to use the shoulder for high-speed passing to avoid collisions :rolleyes:

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 Vipers and a Blue Challenger get big attention from idiots.
This past weekend on a NY/CT cruise I was in the left lane on the NYS thruway. I looked to the right, saw a GTS:2tu: I looked past him and saw a Toyota Corolla passing him on the right.. it took me a second to realize the Corolla was ON THE SHOULDER, flying past us at over 90mph. 3 kids in the car buzzed past us, we kept up for a minute to see what they were up to, but they were totally reckless, in and out of traffic in a car that is not cut out for it.
Thankfully, several miles later we saw them on the side of the road having a conversation with a NYS Trooper as we slipped past... I'm sure the driver told the trooper that his accelerator was stuck so he needed to use the shoulder for high-speed passing to avoid collisions :rolleyes:

Yeah!! When that Trooper found out about my stuck pedal, he let us go with just a warning, but......Wait....This is not the "Winged CoroTercel Yo Forum....OUUPS!

OP
OP
G

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It happened again last night. Kid shoots picture with camera phone while driving behind me.

Will there be a ban on driving and clicking/ :rolaugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang