The Junkman's Minor Scratch Removal on a Lamborghini Murcielago

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured that I should post this here as I don't recall posting any of my wet sanding videos on this forum. This is a very thorough description of how I do minor scratch removal. You get to see the entire process and hear me think out loud as I work. I also use the Flex-3401VRG polisher for this repair, something that a lot of guys have been requesting to see me use. Although I am using Adam's products in these videos, some of you guys who are dedicated to other brands can still do the same thing as long as what you are using is of a professional caliber. Off the top of my head, I know that Meguiar's M105 and M205 will work just fine also.

Now by no means am I suggesting that anyone here take sandpaper to any of your Vipers unless you have been taught by a professional. I do make this look a lot simplier than it is and that can give you a false sense of security. What this should be is a template for you to use on your Yugo, until you actually get good at it. Then and only then, should you move up to your Ford Edsel. :D

In this video, I remove 2 scratches from a Lamborghini Murcielago. The scratches were not too bad but needed the use of 2500 and 3000 grit sandpapers. I also used the Flex 3401VRG to buff them out using SHR and FMP. Sit back and kick up your feet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n9AZFYfH-E&feature=channel_video_title

Here's the puppy that I'm working on. Kudos to Dave (the owner) for not passing out.
You must be registered for see images

Now I have to fix the other two... :smirk:

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good choice! lol!

By the way, you won't find the grits of sandpaper that I used at your local hardware stores. Those are professional grits. You'll either have to hit up a automotive body shop supply store or a local Mirror Glaze distributor. That's where I get mine.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the how 2 videos.:2tu: I love my flex polisher, and I have watched all the adams videos that came with it. I still learned a couple things in this video I did not know. Thanks again for taking the time to do these.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than manufacturer, what's the difference between the Flex and the Porter Cable. Is the Porter Cable still US made? Thanks

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Flex and Porter Cable are similar in that they bot operate in a random orbit. The Flex is different in a few ways from the Porter Cable. For starters, the Flex is direct drive, forced rotation. The PC is clutch drive. The Flex puts out 9600 OPM (Oscillations Per Minute) and the Porter Cable puts out 6800 OPM. The Porter Cable has a speed dial and an On/Off Switch. The Flex has a speed dial and a variable speed trigger. The Flex is not recommended for applying Machine Sealant, but the PC is.

The Porter Cable is good for quick jobs and beginner detailers. The Flex is for experienced detailers and someone who wants to cut their time down. The standard numbers used are PC will remove 90% of swirls/scratches, Flex will remove 99%. It really depends on what cars you own, how much damage they have and how much time you have alloted to correct the paint.

I personally have 4 PCs and 2 Flex. I use all of them as they serve a purpose. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the Flex. It really is a bad-ass machine!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats with the scar just above the body line in the middle of the repaired area.

Bruce

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AJ, Another fine piece of work! It makes me want to get rid of a couple of scratches in my GTS that have been bugging me. You'd be proud of me ... I was out in the garage on New Year's Day and there was a light scratch on the curve of the fender that I put there wiping off some bird droppings when I was in a hurry to take to car out for a 'night on the town'. It's been bugging me for a few weeks and I decided to polish it out. Well, my OCD kicked in and I ended up doing a wash, clay bar, another wash and three polishes followed by a wax job! So much for a 5 minute task.

Is there anything you can recommend that will keep a new wax job from attracting dust? Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems that a fresh wax just ***** the dust out of the air.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than manufacturer, what's the difference between the Flex and the Porter Cable. Is the Porter Cable still US made? Thanks

Allow me to get technical with your answer.

The Flex is technically a "dual-action" polisher. That is, it performs 2 different actions with its backplate. It oscillates, just as the PC-7424XP does. It also ROTATES, just as a rotary polisher does. That's why if you look at the specifications of the Flex, you'll see that it is rated at a orbital OPM of 3200-9600, and a rotary RPM of 160-480. That rotary RPM, combined with the forced OPM orbit is what gives the Flex more bite than the PC-7424XP. The PC has what is called a Free Floating Spindle Assembly (which I refer to in my videos as a "clutch like" action), which can be bogged down with pressure. The ability to bog down the effectiveness of the PC is what makes it so safe for a novice detailer, who with any other machine may do damage to their paint. There's no bogging down the Flex. If you apply more pressure, the forced rotation of the backplate will start cutting more substance off the car. That's what makes it more dangerous.

Nice work! That is a gorgeous color; don't think I've ever seen a Lambo that color.

There are only 4 in the world with that color scheme.

Whats with the scar just above the body line in the middle of the repaired area.

Bruce

The original owner had someone fix a paint chip. Not the way that I would have done it but hey, I didn't get first crack at it!

Junkman - you rock! You make it look so easy! Nice work!

Thanks!

AJ, Another fine piece of work! It makes me want to get rid of a couple of scratches in my GTS that have been bugging me. You'd be proud of me ... I was out in the garage on New Year's Day and there was a light scratch on the curve of the fender that I put there wiping off some bird droppings when I was in a hurry to take to car out for a 'night on the town'. It's been bugging me for a few weeks and I decided to polish it out. Well, my OCD kicked in and I ended up doing a wash, clay bar, another wash and three polishes followed by a wax job! So much for a 5 minute task.

Is there anything you can recommend that will keep a new wax job from attracting dust? Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems that a fresh wax just ***** the dust out of the air.

I have not experienced this "dust magnet" situation that you speak of, however, I do know that some microfiber towels will cause this issue, especially the made in China ones. Where did you get your microfiber towels?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Allow me to get technical with your answer.

The original owner had someone fix a paint chip. Not the way that I would have done it but hey, I didn't get first crack at it!

I actually think that repair looks really decent, just curious what would you have done different?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd be curious to know how you would have done it as well...now that I've had my '08 in the garage for a couple weeks, I noticed a badly botched chip repair above the passenger side mirror that really needs to be addressed. The color not matching was the worst part - the metal flake in the touch up paint is very gold, so the touched up spot really stands out now that I know it's there. I'm trying to figure out how I can at least get a decent color match over this area without too much buildup...it might be a lost cause, but I have hope that it can be fixed.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not experienced this "dust magnet" situation that you speak of, however, I do know that some microfiber towels will cause this issue, especially the made in China ones. Where did you get your microfiber towels?

Well, AJ, I'm using ALL Adam's products. The final pass at the car this time around was with detail spray and the 'double soft' plush microfiber from Adam's. Did a fantastic job of shining up the car and I'm sure it generates some static, but I didn't take it out for 24 hours, so that should have dissipated. If nobody else has noticed it, it may just be my imagination and noticing the dust more when it looks really good just hours earlier.

Reaction score
Great video Junkman, Great job on the cars as well! . Any cloth is going to generate a little static regardless of where its made.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think that repair looks really decent, just curious what would you have done different?

I would have used this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyLfHiHX0U&list=UUXJ_Vn4dkPezuy3vsjUAIUA&index=3&feature=plcp

Now the video makes it seem a lot simpler than it is and I wouldn't have used a touch up brush either (I would have air brushed the paint on). That 15 minute claim is BS too. But the technique is sound for areas that are significantly lower than the surface level.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know how you would have done it as well...now that I've had my '08 in the garage for a couple weeks, I noticed a badly botched chip repair above the passenger side mirror that really needs to be addressed. The color not matching was the worst part - the metal flake in the touch up paint is very gold, so the touched up spot really stands out now that I know it's there. I'm trying to figure out how I can at least get a decent color match over this area without too much buildup...it might be a lost cause, but I have hope that it can be fixed.

What you need to do is drive your car to a PPG in your area and have them mix you up a pint of touch up paint. Also get a small aerosol can of it too. That way, the paint will be an exact match because they will come out to your car and get a reading off the car, not from some paint code.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you need to do is drive your car to a PPG in your area and have them mix you up a pint of touch up paint. Also get a small aerosol can of it too. That way, the paint will be an exact match because they will come out to your car and get a reading off the car, not from some paint code.

I'll have to see if there's one in the Dayton, OH area...I like that idea though.

And an airbrush you say? I have one of those as well...what do you use to thin the paint for spray application?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey AJ that kit, I'm curious, it seems like when you added the glazing putty that it would "flatten" the surface to even around the scratch, wouldn't that then put the paint they add above the surrounding paint? Just curious, that looks like an amazing kit!

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to see if there's one in the Dayton, OH area...I like that idea though.

And an airbrush you say? I have one of those as well...what do you use to thin the paint for spray application?

I wouldn't spray it myself, I have a guy that I call who does it that way. I'm still trying to learn how to air brush. I'm a ROOKIE. lol!

Hey AJ that kit, I'm curious, it seems like when you added the glazing putty that it would "flatten" the surface to even around the scratch, wouldn't that then put the paint they add above the surrounding paint? Just curious, that looks like an amazing kit!

I love the way you think man! That's very true, and that's exactly why I would air brush the fix. That way, you won't be able to tell where the paint was added. Air brushing lays down such a thin layer that a raise in the surface of the area is not detectible. Good question!

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are now going to this water-based paint so it may be getting easier to do it.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bump for those requesting advanced scratch repair. Remember, you don't have to use the same products that I used, many others will work. You just have to use something equal or better. For example, Meguiar's M105 and M205 are a great replacement for the polishes that I used (I use them often in my latest videos). They are also easier to get a hold of and are usually always found at your professional body shop supply stores like PPG. I even saw them in a Pep Boys once, which kinda shocked me because stores like Pep Boys and Auto Zone usually only carry the ***** Meguiar's consumer line. You definitely don't want to use that crap on your Viper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper