The KING of GAWK?

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a prior C5 owner and a current GTS Venom 650R owner, I was quite shocked to learn that Vipers have a very high "GAWK" factor. After driving a C5 for two years and no one really "giving a sh*t", my Viper attracts a lot more attention than I expected (and more than I want sometimes)

The question I have for all of us who have owned exotic vehicles, what car would you consider to be the KING of GAWK? (Cars under $300K only; so the Saleen is exempt from this discussion)

My first thought would be a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster would hold this title ... King of Gawk.

Modena's and Vipers 2nd place. I think the Lotus's also attract alot of attention as well.

Past owners of these cars what do you think?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper is king. I thought that way back when an automotive writer said the PT cruiser got more attention than a Viper, I would someday be able to laugh in his face. I think a strong second place is still a red Ferrari 308/328...only because they are recognizable as the "Magnum PI" car.

OP
OP
V

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree and I own a Viper.

I seen a Diablo the other day which literally caused nearby traffic to experience widespread rubber-necking in epidemic proportions...and I was infected as well.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know - a screaming red GTS with white stripes just screams "LOOK AT ME RIGHT NOW D@MNIT!"

For me, an old Cobra is the car I most break my neck over when I see one....

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven many exotic cars and the Viper seems to bring the most positive attention.

Lambo's and Ferrari come in at a very close 2nd.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Diablo is so weird and wild that people just SWARM it. We found that out firsthand when we had a viper get-together. There was some good interest in the passers by, but then a Diablo 6.0 showed up. Oh my gosh, you could not WALK for the crowd that clogged the place trying to get a close-up look.

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found that my Prowlers draw as much if not more of a crowd than the Viper.

The Viper crowd tends to be a Young/Middle age men and young women. The Prowler seems to draw attention from all across the board.

I personally gawk at any Lambo.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is very near the top. Over the last year and a half, I get my picture taken or video taped about 95% of the time I am out with the car.

I would rate them:

Diablo
Viper GTS
Testarossa
F40/F50
348 Spider
Murcialago
308/328
SRT

OP
OP
V

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ranking ratings....

Top Gawker: Diablo Roadster
2nd: Modena Covertible
3rd: Viper
4th: Lotus Turbo
5th: Prowler
6th: MB SL55 Convertible
7th: Any non-Modena Ferrari (under 300K)
19th: C5
58th: Mustang GT (he he, couldn't resist)

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lambos get me to turn my head... only a high end Ferrari (F-50 or Enzo) would do that same. Lambos are just amazing to look at.

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diablo for sure, or maybe my neighbor's new Murcielago. Every Starbucks coffeeshop around here has three Modenas parked in front of it on any given day. It's only slightly outnumbered by the ubiquitous 996. Too bad really, as when they came out I thought they were such beautiful cars. I saw a red testarossa the other day (or maybe it was a 512TR), and I'll tell you that car STILL turns a lot of heads and sounds phenomenal.

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - why are we comparing apples to oranges? You can't claim GAWK factor by limiting it on price. If that was the case you should say that the GAWK factor is for less than 6 figures ($100,000 and under) - why allow up to $300,00?

If you look at it that way - the Viper wins HANDS DOWN. Not only is it under 6 figures, but it gets the attention as well.

It would seem to me that if you're comparing GAWK factor - compare GAWK factor. When you start throwing in price - GAWK factor gets confused with "what it costs."

Heck I'd GAWK at anything that costs 1/4 of a million dollars plus. - if anything just to say "they paid what for that thing?"

Just an observation.....

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would probably be a "Klingon" myself if I saw an F-50 or Enzo, probably even try and follow the guy home!

Haven't had anyone do that to me yet, but other Viper drivers have spoken of people following them home.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The common man will gawk at all the listed cars, including the Viper. Only the car guys will see more in the Diablo than in the Viper. They are all exotic to ordinary folks.
I've had ordinary people gawk and ask about my Viper and if I told them it was a Diablo, they wouldn't know any better.

Of course, I live in a rural area. A more urban venue would come with more sophisticated gawkers.

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers/Prowlers, depending on the crowd, I'll give the edge to the Prowler.

A couple years back I was on Rodeo Drive and the street was filled with Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, Bentley's, etc. I was sitting out on a cafe so had a lot of time to watch. The car drawing the most attention BY FAR was a Prowler.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry on hi-jacking the thread, but what was that V8 Prowler called the Growler?
Did anyone ever stuff 10 big ones under the hood?

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it wasn't the Growler and I do not believe anyone has stuffed a V10 in. In fact, the V8 (Lingenfelter) stretched the front end to fit it in.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my experience, but I think the Prowler may have gotten more attention for a short time when they first came out, but I would have to say the Viper gets a bit more now-a-days. At least when I am out in my GTS with a friend in his Purple Prowler. Prowler is a great car and gets alot of attention, but the Viper drops Jaws, and has people gazing in awe!
When the Prowler first came out, it was sick how much attention it got! Just not the same as a Viper!
Now let's think about the first couple years the Viper came out. Wow! I would follow one as long as I could to check out every angle! That was the Car that I would have!! Dream Car!! :D
I am very lucky!! :usa:

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely the Lamborghini Diablo Roadster VT. It has always been the most gawk'elicious exotic that I have ever seen. Hands down!

You must be registered for see images

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seen a artical around 2 years back that some one installed a V-10 into a Prowler and the story went as far as saying that it was as if the car was built for the motor. the pictures of the install was very nice. Back to the Gawk factor it sounds that the Viper is hanging with the big dogs and if you cant hang with the big dogs you better stay on the porch.

james97gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that prowlers get a lot of gawk for the price factor. I still think vipers beat it.

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say Missy Elliot's Lime Green Murci would blow everything else into the weeds if it were rolling down the street. Not only is the car gawk-able, but that paintjob. Holy smokes - you can't miss that thing. Diablos and that Mosler MT900 would be good as well.

REMIX

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This question was asked a while back... the Viper is up there without a doubt...
Thats why I have blacked out windows... :eek:

Last year there was a C7 Vette that was running around town ( Plano Texas )
that I saw people just follow that car around every where the guy went. ;)

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my .02

1. lambo roadstr VT or rt10 viper (silver of course)
2. hemi cuda convertible plum crazy color
3. gts viper
4. prowler w/jen love hewit riding shotgun offering up a beer (ummm...maybe this should be number one, LOL)

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since I'm not into Vettes I have to ask, what the hail is a C7 vette? I'd really like to know as I have never seen a vette that I'd look twice at.