1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "mileage question"

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Peter Kater, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Peter Kater

Peter Kater Enthusiast

Dear GTS owners,

Is there any risk related to low mileage on Vipers?

(I plan to purchase a 00' Viper GTS that has currently less than 5.000 miles on it...)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Pierre

2. KyViper

KyViper Enthusiast

Yes and No. The important thing is to learn the back story on the vehicle. Either a 10 mile Car or a 100 thousand mile car can be in equally good or bad condition.
    Do your homework on # of owners, Maintenance history, Accident history, look at any issues with recalls or service bulletins, The internet can be your friend looking at owners forums, etc. If you are thinking about buying sight unseen, then pay the money for a Qualified Viper Tech to look at the car.
    After all of this, if concerns still linger then get the seller to allow you have an independent Tech Inspect the car.
    Once all of this is done, you will have the information to make a decision on whether or not to go forward with the purchase.
    KyViper
    Oh, this logic can be applied to any vehicle. The Viper is a fairly basic vehicle.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    MichaelJB and InTheZoneAC like this.
  3. Peter Kater

Peter Kater Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for the answer man, it lights my candle a bit and confirms me I was right in appointing an inspection by an independent technician.

Regards,

Pierre

MichaelJB likes this.
  4. steel snake

steel snake Enthusiast

Other things that factor in: Was the car allowed to just sit there? Or at least started up once a week; better yet driven up and down the driveway or around the block. Potential for seals to dry out due to lack of use. Fluid changes performed? Tires, obviously. Low miles are sometimes a red flag depending on a lot of circumstances. These cars were meant to be driven. W/o proper planning and maintenance they can develop problems. Happy hunting!

InTheZoneAC likes this.
  5. fhrzr1

fhrzr1 Enthusiast

When they are driven they need to do at least 6 miles to warm up the oil and fluids and evaporate the water condensation that appears at start up.
    Let engine run for at least 20 minutes.
    My 2005 had 3800 miles when I bought it 3 years ago.
    No issues

6. Peter Kater

Peter Kater Enthusiast

Sounds great man
    Thanks a lot for the advice!

7. Chris Charleston

Chris Charleston Enthusiast

I bought my 2001 last May with 8500 mi. Drove it home to Atlanta from Indy after a nice test drive. Now has over 12K with no issues and "0" mods. Changed the oil and coolant so far and will do the trans, rear end and brake fluid soon. The only issue so far is dry rotted boots on all of the anti-sway bar links. Ordered new Moog replacements from Rock Auto. Good Luck, Chris

8. Peter Kater

Peter Kater Enthusiast

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for your story and kudos to you for the nice buy :)
    My Viper goal is to just get the same flawless experience as you.
    Can I ask you what was the asking price for your snake when you baught it? Any track days with it?

9. KC4SSD

KC4SSD Enthusiast

High Miles or Low no difference, depends on whom and where it has been driven or kept. I have a ACR 09 with relatively low miles and a Roe supercharged Truck getting ready to flip 100K! Both run like new and want to kill you haha. Just check it top and bottom well!

Tim

10. Peter Kater

Peter Kater Enthusiast

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for your contribution to this current thread on the "mileage" thing.
    All put together, everybody is right around this forum (I mean it) and I am glad it is so!
    To sum it all up, it doesn't matter what motor vehicle you may drive, a million miles or a thousand miles car can run in perfect condition or totally shitty, it all goes down to the driver, ultimately allowing the engine to reach operating temperature or cool down before shutting off. I would call that "engineering respect".. But that's just me. Not everybody around will take so much care of even such beautiful engineering pieces.
    Though I believe people who are on this forum do care.
    Keep on the good work :)
    Pete