" The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sales"

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: " The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sale

True but wait until the V ACR u might change yer mind

If sales don't pick up, there won't be an ACR, and if it does get produced, it better have 700HP or the brand dies.

The next Viper I want is a 2010 ACR :2tu:

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: " The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sale

Thank golly they put more HP in the TA so it went faster than the SRT and GTS at Laguna and beat the ZR1! HP wins the day again!

No one is saying that Horsepower is what makes a car go fastest around a track, so dont go there! The gen 4 ACR is the fastest street car ever on the Ring but how many of them are still available right now new to buy NEW!! We are talking about horsepower bragging rights and selling cars! If you cant understand this basic concept that horse power sells cars especially "sports cars", then you there is no help for you. The Viper used to be the king of the road for this one reason and that is why it sold. People looked past it's shortcomings, bought it and loved it! It has lost that basic principle that made the viper dominant and thus popular. You would understand this if you owned a gen 1 or 2 viper when they first came out. As the new breed of viper owners (more interested in the posh interior, and pretty colors available) I dont expect you to. The sales are what they are for a reason. SRT, not to any fault of their's, F'ed up big time by spending all their limited budget on the interior and not enough on the engine and giving us viper owners what we truly wanted first! HP then interior.

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If sales don't pick up, there won't be an ACR, and if it does get produced, it better have 700HP or the brand dies.

The next Viper I want is a 2010 ACR :2tu:
HP isn't the #1 thing. Balance is.
Adding more horsepower to a car doesn't make it better unless all the other systems are addressed.

Less then 500 ACRs were built from 2008-2010. I am sure they didn't lose a penny on any of them. Lots of car companies are getting into the "track day" cars. It would be silly for SRT to not take a bite out of the market. If the current Viper has the ACR-X engine, and it weighs around the same as the ACR-X. Whose to say it wont run a similar lap on the 'ring like the ACR-X did or even better? (7:03) with even aggressiver aero and a higher top speed?

I would love to see some new technology in the ACR like this: http://aeromotions.com/

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SRT, not to any fault of their's, F'ed up big time by spending all their limited budget on the interior and not enough on the engine and giving us viper owners what we truly wanted first! HP then interior.

From what I read, the problem was that SRT didn't realize going in that many of their past suppliers didn't want to do business with Chrysler anymore. For example, the engine block supplier refused. By the time that a new engine block supplier was located and new drawings were made to suit the new supplier's manufacturing method, a lot of time and money was used up. "We had to find new suppliers and create new tooling. This was an extensive and time consuming job. It took a year alone to get some of the parts back on line." Winkles. “Money was tight, and there was no funding allocated to develop a ‘new” engine. Our goal was simply to get the engine back into production.” A number of other significant parts had to be resourced, taking time and resources away from the task of making more power. A great deal of work was required to satisfy the misfire detection requirement, which used up most of the power train budget and resources. We had about twelve months to find new suppliers tweak the design, test and calibrate.

The above quotes from Liang's book. :2tu:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just look at the difference in lap times between the 505 HP Z06 and 638 HP ZR1. Almost the same! So the extra 133 HP didn't do much, did it? Given that we are living in the real world of limited budgets and emissions standards, the Gen V is a home run. Period. Laguna Seca production car record. 640 HP and 600 Ft Lbs is plenty, and is remarkable in this day and age of Priuses and emissions police.

We should be thankful that this car was even revived post-bankruptcy. While some will be whining about Viper this or that, I will be taking mine on the track and on weekend getaways, enjoying life. Viper FTW!

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If balance is what SRT is after, fine, it should strive to be THE MOST BALANCED CAR OUT THERE :). Instead of being a jack of all trades, be a master of all trades. Balanced Viper seems like a contradiction in terms LOL. Bragging rights at the ring is awesome but like it or not, the street is where it cuts its teeth. The street is where it builds its reputation.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that It's a good thing that Viper still lives. I'm just upset it lost its crown. Imo, having the most power is just as important to Viper as having a V10 is part of Viper.

Last edited:

mikesax

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree with Venom V- I'm going out now to enjoy this gorgeous weather! Fact of the matter is we live in a very economically different world post 2008 economic apocalypse!! I am in residential remodeling and people DO NOT spend money like they used to. I remember the Ultimate Factories video where it was said that the viper owner was one who saved his pennies or something like that-an average person who scrimped and saved to afford his viper-that is not the case anymore. There is not nearly as much extra disposable income as there once was-there is not as many high horsepower car junkies with the money to buy a viper like there used to be. The 2013 viper is incredible, I love mine, 4000 miles in 2 months or so, but there are fewer and fewer people out there willing to spend the money for a car like this. I don't have a crystal ball, but it seems to be A LOT harder to afford to live these days. A lot of viper owners would drive their cars 1-2000 miles a year, a weekend toy or something, to upgrade to a new viper would cost a good $100,000 or so, and the money is just not there!! The crossover Porsche buyer or whomever SRT needs to buy this car is not knocking down doors to get into the Dodge dealer to get it. The glory days of sales - for most high end things-not just vipers- is not what it used to be!!

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess we all have different takes on the Gen V. One of the reasons I liked it was because it did resemble the Gen 2.
I've been readingthe comments made on this thread about the gen5 looking like a gen2 on the outside-all I have to say is that many times on this forum,prior to the release of the gen 5,many of you have stated when looking at pics of a gen4 next to a gen2 that the gen2 was starting to look dated compared to the gen4-so did we move forward by making the gen5 look like a gen2 or did we produce a car that to many looks like a 16 year old Viper?

FOViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HP isn't the #1 thing. Balance is.
Adding more horsepower to a car doesn't make it better unless all the other systems are addressed.

Less then 500 ACRs were built from 2008-2010. I am sure they didn't lose a penny on any of them. Lots of car companies are getting into the "track day" cars. It would be silly for SRT to not take a bite out of the market. If the current Viper has the ACR-X engine, and it weighs around the same as the ACR-X. Whose to say it wont run a similar lap on the 'ring like the ACR-X did or even better? (7:03) with even aggressiver aero and a higher top speed?: http://aeromotions.com/

The 7:03 was on Michelin slicks. Not comparable to ANY road tire, EVER.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If balance is what SRT is after, fine, it should strive to be THE MOST BALANCED CAR OUT THERE :). Instead of being a jack of all trades, be a master of all trades. Balanced Viper seems like a contradiction in terms LOL. Bragging rights at the ring is awesome but like it or not, the street is where it cuts its teeth. The street is where it builds its reputation.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that It's a good thing that Viper still lives. I'm just upset it lost its crown. Imo, having the most power is just as important to Viper as having a V10 is part of Viper.
What crown has been lost?

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The crown of don't even try it.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I bought my cars for one simple reason, the way it makes me feel when I drive it, I couldn't give a **** who is faster, greater, better etc. They don't feel like a Viper.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought my cars for one simple reason, the way it makes me feel when I drive it, I couldn't give a **** who is faster, greater, better etc. They don't feel like a Viper.

I married my wife for the same reason......but I really want to "drive" something else.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please, I have had 3 new Vipers(96 RT 10,97 GTS,Gen 4) and now have a new Porsche 911 Turbo S.I want to buy and can buy a Gen.5,but the Gen.5 will get smoked bad by the Turbo S with the AWD/DCT.It is violently fast(10.70s@129 stock) and very easy to dive. I still may buy a Gen.5 for the hell of it, because I like the Viper so much,but the Gen.5 Viper is now so far behind the new high tect HP Cars.SRT must make some drastic improvements to the 14s Vipers or that will be the end of new Vipers.

In a couple of months,the will be giving away all these 13 Gen 5s at the dealers...

Balls is in SRTs Court....

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please, I have had 3 new Vipers(96 RT 10,97 GTS,Gen 4) and now have a new Porsche 911 Turbo S.I want to buy and can buy a Gen.5,but the Gen.5 will get smoked bad by the Turbo S with the AWD/DCT.It is violently fast(10.70s@129 stock) and very easy to dive. I still may buy a Gen.5 for the hell of it, because I like the Viper so much,but the Gen.5 Viper is now so far behind the new high tect HP Cars.SRT must make some drastic improvements to the 14s Vipers or that will be the end of new Vipers.

In a couple of months,the will be giving away all these 13 Gen 5s at the dealers...

In the day to day driving world how fast the Viper goes around the track does not matter, so please do not start a conversation about its track prowess. All the track rats have already bought their 2013 Vipers. What is left on the dealers showrooms are the cars that no one wants to buy because of exactly what FFL B/W GTs says above, and those are people, like me, who have NEVER been to the track ever.

the Viper REMAINS a niche car that will NOT attract the crossover buyer because of the nice interior.

The Gen5 did NOT change enough to become a car a crossover buyer will want.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

By the way, my limited time hanging with the Porsche crowd, they are a whole different group of acting people than Viper people. They are very,very loyal to Porsche, I do not see any of them going from a Porsche to a Viper...

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hate the brand dilution and mass production of Porsche esp with the cayenne panamera and boxster having the general "look" as the GTS RS, 911 etc. I think it really ruins it. its a dime a dozen look I see on the road every single day

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

By the way, my limited time hanging with the Porsche crowd, they are a whole different group of acting people than Viper people. They are very,very loyal to Porsche, I do not see any of them going from a Porsche to a Viper...

I had 2 Porsche turbos, moved to a viper and have had 3 vipers since, so I did. But I'm a weirdo, so...

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yah, they are totally going to redesign it this year. :rolaugh:

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So its really fast in a straight line. k.

The Viper will never get AWD and probably no DCT either.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I don't get it for most of us the viper is a weekend toy to drive around town, city or whatever. Its never going to see the track, so 640hp is overkill in reality. If I want real power and acceleration I would go out and spend $10,000 or less and buy a slight used 1000cc crotch rocket that will blow the doors off pretty much any car out there. My Gen 4 was tamed compared to the acceleration my ZX14 could put out. Yes there may be faster cars than the Viper out there but when I looked at the GTR I didn't get it, basically the car practically "drives" itself. In my opinion the new Viper already has to much electronics, what's the old saying 'keep it simple stupid', I want to drive a car not a rolling video game. Decades later the 427 Shelby Cobra is still an icon with that simple idea. Now every time you take a car in to get it fixed they have no clue because the damn car more electronics that the space shuttle. Forget the dealership take it to Microsoft maybe they can figure it out.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please, I have had 3 new Vipers(96 RT 10,97 GTS,Gen 4) and now have a new Porsche 911 Turbo S.I want to buy and can buy a Gen.5,but the Gen.5 will get smoked bad by the Turbo S with the AWD/DCT.It is violently fast(10.70s@129 stock) and very easy to drive..

Stock 09 at the track. Just gotta be able to drive:

http://youtu.be/YtAfV5I1dQg

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No dought,the Gen 4 and some day the Gen 5 will do 10s,but the conditions must be perfect with a perfect run..I could not get better than 11.40s out of my Gen.4...
I was at the track in Palm Beach when the Gen 5 ran 11.17.The Gen 5 is Bad Ass,it is just a bear to get a good run..

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Moundir had it right, its Horsepower

Think of exotic cars as if you are watching a body building competition, DODGE er Chrysler er SRT, (I guess it didn't help confusing the already non caring public with a car that isn't made by a major manufacturer, or is it, sort of,), anyways,..

Bodybuilding competition, the Porsches and Lambos and Ferarris are all perfectly symmetrical machines, with BIG biceps (horsepower), now here comes the Viper who is an old incumbent contest winner, never won on Symmetry, but won because it had the biggest guns in the contest (horsepower) and wowed the crowd.

Now, the SRT Vipers trainer convinced itself that it can win on symmetry, which it still does not have and if anyone asks for a test drive, (i.e. asks to see the symmetry), you can't because the dealers wont let anybody test drive, The big guns ain't so big anymore, don't wow the crowd, in fact, they are the shape they were in the contests won from 96-2002, not the more recently won contests..

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The HP argument only matters to those who want to impress other folk, at least to me. 640 is more than almost all here can adequately leverage on a track.

The bigger issue is, IMHO, people don't know the car is back. I think it is simply a marketing problem. The average foot traffic at a Dodge dealership simply isn't going to be buying the car.

People who can afford it that I know simply had no idea the car has been reintroduced and it is as amazing as it is inside as out.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score

People who can afford it that I know simply had no idea the car has been reintroduced and it is as amazing as it is inside as out.[/QUOTE]

When the car came out it was front page in every car magazine, anyone who is into cars knows the new Viper is out. Come on your telling me that if they can't get roughly 800 people world wide to buy the first year production because nobody knows its out? GTS-R 001 maybe right, 2013 Viper was done already in '96-'02. You would think there are enough people on Viper forums to snap up 800 cars with no problem, but us ********* Viper owners are reluctant to change so what does that say about the average car fan? So have those people who now know the car is out rush out to buy one?

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wrong Smith, everyone that is in to cars knows the Viper is back, saying this just prevents the empowered form correcting the real problems that are affecting the sales.

Time to take the blinders of, smell the coffee and figure out how to sell $140K vipers to people that you are trying to sell to instead of the people you always sold to who are not in the $140K club.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wrong Smith, everyone that is in to cars knows the Viper is back, saying this just prevents the empowered form correcting the real problems that are affecting the sales.

Time to take the blinders of, smell the coffee and figure out how to sell $140K vipers to people that you are trying to sell to instead of the people you always sold to who are not in the $140K club.

I've always said dealers all screwed themselves by them all ordering optioned out GTS. With only 70 SRT ordered, I think most dealers priced themselves out of the market.

I still contend people don't know. Taking my car to cars and coffee in an affluent area - very few knew it was back.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've always said dealers all screwed themselves by them all ordering optioned out GTS. With only 70 SRT ordered, I think most dealers priced themselves out of the market.

I still contend people don't know. Taking my car to cars and coffee in an affluent area - very few knew it was back.

I guess the affluent exotic car crowd just isn't cruising the local Dodge dealership during their days off?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456