The official Street Serpent Q&A thread!!!

Homie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, why is it the *official* thread? Cause I claimed it in the title!!! :)

My (initial, will have more) questions regarding the awsome beast that is the Street Serpent:

- I see all these beutiful pics---is there any angle at which the street serpent actually looks bad or less than its best? The pics seem all too perfect.

- The only thing on the front end I'm not sure about is that very bottom plate thing that goes horizontally along the bottem. Can that be removed (or, more accurately, just left out of the install in the first place)? I'm pretty sure it can as it looked to me like one on Jeff's site didn't have it (and the pic looked badass).

- I know it widens the car--does the kit include wheel extensions so that no new wheels/tires are needed?

- I was dead set on a coupe (never really liked convertibles) but with the Street Serpent I'm almost dead set on the convertible + Lemke hardtop. The hardtops look almost TOO good. From all the pics I've seen they look almost as if they are a seamless piece of the body. Are there any angles that they look bad, like if you stood above the car and looked down where they connect to the body---is it really as seamless as the pics look?

- Can a 6'2" guy sit under the Lemke hardtops without banging his head?

- Approx how much weight do they add to the car?

- Is it possible just to have the rear done to save money? Or to look right its all or nothing?

- Will the Street Serpent help me pull wool? (OK, I kid)

Thanks for help with any answers. And add any questions!!!

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can answer one of your questions. You can add just the coupe rear end on a vert for about $8K last I heard.

I don't think there is a bad angle for a SS. If you search forum, you'll see pics from every angle from different owners and they all look good.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im surprised Jeff hasnt chimed in to answer these Q's for you. I know you can add the coupe rear without doing the whole SS kit, but I dont know how much work is involved. There was a member posting here a while back that had put a coupe rear on his vert and he didnt do the SS kit, so I know it can be done.

Im sure the SS will help you "pull wool", but if you cant "pull wool" in any Viper, theres something wrong.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
In my totally unbiased opinion the Street Serpent is absolutely stunning.

Here's a few answers to your questions. Yes the bottom front spoiler can be left off or changed per your desire - one other serpent uses the comp coupe spoiler. (It does do a good job at scraping road kill to the side though :rolaugh: ). I used 1" hub centric wheel spacers or you can remove the hubs and add the comp coupe studs and spacers. No angles look bad on the Serpent and Jeff really added a number of subtle touches to make it a complete package - so not sure how it would look with just the rear end done. I'm 6'2" and lowered my seat, not to fit under a hardtop - but to lower my seating position as in the stock position - my eye level was about even with the top of the windshield. You can purchase a 1" lowering kit - or there is a way to modify the existing seat rails if you are handy. The fiberglass panels actually weigh less than the stock panels - cant say exactly how much weight is saved though. Here's a couple pics that I havent posted in a while and there are quite a few more in my gallery if interested:

Serpent1_Medium_.JPG

Serpent2_Medium_.JPG

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys.. Cool thread! ;) Rocket answered most of the questions but I'll add a couple more tid bits. When the conversion is done it's turnkey including wheel spacers and lowering of car. Just the rear end can be done but only at my shop. I discourage doing it mainly because I'd like to keep it a Street Serpent exclusive feature and not detract in a way from Serpents that are out there. The hard top adds about 30 lbs.

If it was not for a major car development I've got going, I'd still have my Serpent. I miss it dearly. Best sports car I've ever owned and I did love looking at it even more so than my gen 1 and 2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Homie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a ton Jeff and Rocket.

Another question--does the bottom front spoiler protect the bottom of the front end from scraping big time? In other words, is the front spoiler very strong, and leaving it off would mean a bunch of damage to the front bottom? Or is the front bottom generally just as strong as the spoiler, and the spoiler is more there for looks/downforce?

Thanks!

OP
OP
H

Homie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, another question Jeff (or others): What is the approximate install time for the entire kit?

Thanks.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a ton Jeff and Rocket.

Another question--does the bottom front spoiler protect the bottom of the front end from scraping big time? In other words, is the front spoiler very strong, and leaving it off would mean a bunch of damage to the front bottom? Or is the front bottom generally just as strong as the spoiler, and the spoiler is more there for looks/downforce?

Thanks!

The front splitter serves several purposes. It is for looks and downforce, but also serves as somewhat of a protector for the front fascia. You can replace it for much less money. It takes about 6 weeks to convert a SRT to SS.

Jeff

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The front splitter DOES help to protect the fascia

It requires a different "style" of driving. Even then, it takes same scrapes.

It is also hard to hook the front to a trailer...

Soooo... I had a tow hook/skid plate made for the car. The tow hook flares out to the width of the frame rails and is about 16 inches under the front of the car. Kinda' like a skid plate on a 4X4.

Works great for a tow hook and a lot of added protection...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this thread is killing me...makes me want an SRT

then tree comes in here and totally kills me.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ILO the wheels spacers. I'm assuming that a more aggressive wheel/lip can be designed to fill out the extra body width? These SS's would look look sick with a 7" lip in the rear.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO... A car that looks this aggressive deserves the power to match...:D

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

Are the rear quarter panels on the SS a direct replacement for the factory coupe quarter panels? (i.e. does the bumper and side sill need to be replaced to make the 1/4's flow?) The back of Treesnake's car in this photo looks **** as hell with the wider rear's (sort of like the widebody conversion a lot of C6's use to fit 345's on the back).

SS_9-12-08_017.jpg

OP
OP
H

Homie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, another question:

One fear would be I purchase the kit, then you (and your shop) decides to go into some other business and not do the stree serpent.

Then I get into a little fender and need one or more replacement fiberglass pieces.

Thoughts? Can I order extra pieces up front? I think the ~$16k includes labor--what is the cost to order an extra set of fiberglass parts up front in case something I'm talking about happens?

Thanks!

OP
OP
H

Homie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
treesnake (and others)

I live in Houston. Potholes and bad/steep entrances and exits everywhere. Is the air splitter up front (and the rest of the kit) strong enough to take the bangs? Or in your experience would it be a disaster to drive it two or three days a week in a city like Houston?

Thanks!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, another question:

One fear would be I purchase the kit, then you (and your shop) decides to go into some other business and not do the stree serpent.

Then I get into a little fender and need one or more replacement fiberglass pieces.

Thoughts? Can I order extra pieces up front? I think the ~$16k includes labor--what is the cost to order an extra set of fiberglass parts up front in case something I'm talking about happens?

Thanks!

I think the other SS owners will agree, Jeff Lemke is one of the easiest guys I have worked with on a project like this. He really gets into building each car. I have been to Jeff's shop and met some of his employees.
First Rate....:2tu:
I feel confident in saying that after talking to Jeff extensively, there is no way he would leave you (us) hanging without access to replacement parts.
Give him a call and talk to him. I'm sure you will agree....:)

treesnake (and others)

I live in Houston. Potholes and bad/steep entrances and exits everywhere. Is the air splitter up front (and the rest of the kit) strong enough to take the bangs? Or in your experience would it be a disaster to drive it two or three days a week in a city like Houston?

Thanks!

The front fascia is as durable as the OEM fascia...IMO
I did get a "clear bra" installed. It not only protects the finish but adds some additional strength.

FWIW... This is in no way a "kit car"....:rolleyes:
The SS is as solid as my slate 06 coupe. There aren't any weird squeeks or rattles. These are quality parts.
The car is lower. Mine is lowered an additional inch with a Moton suspension. You just learn to drive a little.... "different".
I think you will be fine in Houston. I live in St. Louis and don't really have too many problems.
I have about 2000 miles on my car since the conversion and I am still on my first splitter...:dunno:

BE WARNED.... People will lose their minds when you take the car out. You think you get a lot of attention in your Viper now...

Just wait....:D

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS > SRT in looks but..... SS SRT > GTS

That's a hell of a compliment. Thanks.

Homie, The SS quarter panels are not stock replacements, they are flared 1" per side. I've got no plans to go anywhere with my business other than the direction I'm heading with my custom made designs/products. I plan to be around a while so replacement parts should always be available for quite some time.

Jeff

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Plum, you gotta see Treesnake's Serpent in person - it is drop dead gorgeous with the custom roof line that Lemke put on it. I have got to get a ride in the TT beast - although I gotta say that it might be doubly scary :omg: with Treesnake at the wheel.

As far as the splitter goes - i have mine lowered with Moton's so that I have 3 1/2" of clearance. You do modify your driving style to accomodate it but you WILL scrape on occassion. It's easy to take the splitter off and have the scrapes repaired and repainted. You also do need to remember to give yourself a little extra room in front when parking.

Last edited:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum, you gotta see Treesnake's Serpent in person - it is drop dead gorgeous with the custom roof line that Lemke put on it. I have got to get a ride in the TT beast - although I gotta say that it might be doubly scary :omg: with Treesnake at the wheel.

As far as the splitter goes - i have mine lowered with Moton's so that I have 3 1/2" of clearance. You do modify your driving style to accomodate it but you WILL scrape on occassion. It's easy to take the splitter off and have the scrapes repaired and repainted. You also do need to remember to give yourself a little extra room in front when parking.

Or go over the bottom edge of splitter with a wide, black "sharpie"...:rolaugh:

Not trying to be courteous and trade compliments but there's a reason ROCKET won the VCA car show at VOI 10. The paint on that car is amazing.

ROCKET62 does have one problem with his SS...
There is a "loose nut" behind the wheel.....:rolaugh:

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SS body kit is HOT, especially the blue one ;)... My question to treesnake is when do I finally get my ride??? :drive:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill be damned if I'm gonna go anywhere near one of these SS's for fear I'd have to have one. This goes double for tree's TT SS..... Lol

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These SS kits look great...as does my Lemke hardop!!! I know there are very few of these on the road, but has anyone run theirs in a high speed application...like a standing mile event? I know when researching aftermarket spoilers and fascias, the first thing I was told was to remove them (especially the Vipair hood) and go back to stock for high mph events. I know my hard top moves around a bit (the top of the roof "flutters") at high speed, no fault of Lemkes mind you. Just curious if the TT SS has done anything in addition to the dyno and/or your local show/shine. Again, I think the SS kit greatly improves the looks of our SRT's. But I'm just curious about its function for those of us that push them to the limits.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I've had a few high speed runs in the 160+ range with the Vert top (on a closed private track of course) and it was rock solid. I would love to do one of the mile events. Treesnake's has gotta be a top contender for a mile event and I would love to be there to see it!