THE REAL SCOOP ON THE NEW COUPE, ITS FINAL (READ)

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I DO BELIEVE MOTOR TREND HAS THE FINAL REAL SPECS ON THE NEW COUPE. WHATS EVERYONE THINK.
6041NV1.jpg

6041NV2.jpg

6041NV3.jpg

6041NV4.jpg

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I woun't tell what I think about the styling, but the HP is NOT ENOUGH... C-6 is way too close to those numbers.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
must.. have.... 550HP. I see it's still side exhaust also. Maybe by '07 it will be rear exhaust and 550HP (let's hope)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
must.. have.... 550HP. I see it's still side exhaust also. Maybe by '07 it will be rear exhaust and 550HP (let's hope)

550 HP is simply not enough given the state of the automotive world, and posting such low expectations here only facilitates those #s appearing. Ideally the 650 HP from the carbon fiber concept srt/10 would show up.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will not be enough to stay in the lead. Too bad for the viper world.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As ChrisGTS says, why would anyone buy a 500 hp Viper when there are lighter options out there with the same power?

Oh well...

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought of buying the new coupe but if thats it, I will stay with what I have now, especially if I have more horseys now. Kind of a let down.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be terribly unfortunate if D/C dropped the ball and didn't give the Viper more power for 2006.
They have given Mercedes power boosts across the board, and are now up to more than 600HP and 738TQ for the SL65. :eek:

The Viper won't slip badly if the new coupe is rated at 550HP, but is really putting out close to 600HP.
The Ford GT is rated at 550HP, but really puts out 625-650HP. And that's how it is successfully distancing itself from the Viper and Corvette. :laugh:

And the Viper needs to pull ahead of the performance car pack, or it will lose it's status of being a performance leader, in the same way that the NSX is no longer in the running with new performance cars.

The only real reason that D/C would not give the SRT-10 Coupe a power boost (like the GTS got when it was released) would be if they want to discontinue the Viper.
And are setting the car up for failure. :(

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear the coupe is going to use already built SRT-10's that are sitting in the waiting bay at CAAP unsold. They are going to send in special UAW teams who are going to rip the backs off the SRT-10's and replace it with coupe rear ends between NASCAR races and coffee breaks.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If that is what the new coupe is, I will stay with what I have now and start looking else where for a different sports car. The car is butt ugly and no styling whatso ever. Someone in the design dept needs to be fired..GEN 3 vipers are not for me.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC is going to kill the Viper. Why are Mercedes getting power bumps and the Viper is not? Why are they staying at 500 horsepower? Why did they kludge together a coupe? I can't wait for the spin from the apologists. So much so I probably won't even read it.

I have always been curious about Ferrari ownership. When my 01 GTS no longer thrills me that will be the direction I head.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I think we all see the writing on the wall here. The real problem started when the Germans took over the Chrysler and I believe they saw the Viper as competition to the top line MB performance line. There is definitely a lack of support from the higherarchy and it shows in the design and performance. I agree that if the 06 Viper doesn't come out with a bump to 600HP, the Viper line will die along with the Prowler. :mad: :mad: :mad: Look at how the cars have been selling lately, dismall at best. I believe Craig when he said they are taking the cars that are not sold and retrofitting them for the coup. :confused:

Talking with Herb Helbig at VOI 8, he was steadfast in his assertions that there was going to be no performance increase for 06 and beyond due to the up coming emmisions standards coming from the Feds. I believe the writing is on the wall, as much as I don't want it to be there. :( :( :(

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC is going to kill the Viper. Why are Mercedes getting power bumps and the Viper is not? Why are they staying at 500 horsepower? Why did they kludge together a coupe? I can't wait for the spin from the apologists. So much so I probably won't even read it.

I have always been curious about Ferrari ownership. When my 01 GTS no longer thrills me that will be the direction I head.
Don't worry you will never grow tired of your GTS. Look at is this way guys if that is the new coupe we just all saved a ton of money and continue to own the best Viper to date by far. :2tu:

ViperLB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to agree with everyone's thoughts here. The new Z06 is more attractive with nearly the same performance specs, yet $15k - $20k less expensive. To pay a premium like that, I would expect at least 75 - 100 more hp. The strong Viper brand image is at stake here.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
theres not an outrageous bone in that coupes body or under the hood.....Im a coupe kinda guy and dare I say the convertable Viper looks better...Styling looks more ASSCAR than Viper...Since the design dept is inept, they should have just dropped a GTS/CC body on top of the new chassis..It would have been a hit...If this is indeed the final look Im truly dissapointed....There is no reason to buy a Viper anymore...It wont be for the power or the looks....It may be for rarity cause few will want one...Z06 is looking much more appealing...Im starting to wonder if that R&T article was right. Pretty much same read..

BTW you gotta be Shannon Doherty to read the scan with out tilting your head..Headache but thanks :cool:

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was hoping (praying) for more. More HP and a look more closely related to the Comp. Coupe and the previous GTS. My 01 GTS, although fully streetable, is primarily my raodrace track car. I was looking to add the new coupe to become my street Viper. I sure would hate to look elsewhere, but I just don't feel that DC is going to up the HP significantly. Afterall, why should the new coupe have more HP than the Comp. Coupe? Or some of the other MB products.
It is almost as if they don't think the average Viper owner can handle more power. You don't think this has anything to do with liability do you?

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"DC is going to kill the Viper."

Hmmmm... Better buy one more before the last HORAAAAH.....
(And that would be a pre 2003)

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree that DC is going to kill the Viper. Part of the reason
why I think this is because they are coming out with some of
their other proto type cars that are going into production
that is basically made for everyday people. Kind of like
the P/T crusier...it was a novelty item at first, but then
mainstream there after.

I was reading or heard that the Viper is no longer the "Flagship or
image builder for Chrysler" so it wasn't needed, it's considered an
expense. I think they are building these GEN 3 to help eliminate the
sales and justify it to get rid of the viper line. If they keep the
viper looking the way it is and the weak performance then I hope
they kill it. I don't understand why they are putting a Gen 2 roof
on a stealth fighter like body..just doesn't match and cheapens the Viper
line in my opinion.

Big mistake for DC to get rid of the true car people like Bob Lutz.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's as if they developed it thinking that every possible competitor would stand pat as of 3 years or so ago and not close the gap, and that simply adding a hardtop and a leftover Gen. II rear end parts would keep the Viper at the top of everyone's wish list. Yet you don't have to be an "insider" or have a crystal ball to see what's been going on at other manufacturers the last several years--heck there are Mercedes sedans that compare very favorably to the Viper in the power and performance departments (at least in a straight line). I have a hard time seeing this as anything other than an abject failure, and one that wasn't necessary. If they weren't going to keep the car out front, why build a coupe at all? At least then they could say the SRT offered great performance for a convertible and wasn't meant to keep up with the supercars anymore. The ONLY positive here is that the Z06 is going to be almost as expensive as a Viper, but without the exclusivity. Will that offer Coupe owners enough comfort when the Z06 beats them on the highway stock for stock? It sure wouldn't for me. We may soon be looking back at the time DC asked the guy who designed the Camry to design the new Viper as the beginning of the end.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion is that the photo and info is from about the time frame as VOI8. I have heard from sources that the hp and body style will be updated and upgraded based on info gathered at VOI. Photos will be posted as soon as January 15 and the Detriot Auto Show. But even then I am not sure DC will show their hand as far as HP numbers.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care how much power it has. It is a GREAT platform to build one of the world's baddest vehicles. Seriously, the foundation is almost perfect to hot rod.

How many here have stock cars anyway? Can you imagine what a $125,000 Viper Coupe will do to an Enzo? I know what mine will do to an Enzo. What Enzo? :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang