The RTV answer

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I posted that my Ultra copper permatex RTV wouldn't set up and I wasn't sure what to do. I called Permatex today and received a thorough expaination on how it is supposed to be used.

First of all, watch the date code on the crimp on the tube. the first two characters represent the year. After two years it won't cure, if it won't cure it should not be used as it can blow out. Took it all off and redid the job with new rtv..

According to Permatex:

Prior to gasketing put a 1/4" rtv blob on the side to monitor skin time, put parts together prior to the sample skinning to ensure bonding to both surfaces. Humidity and temperature accelerate curing. Mist the air to speed the cure after parts are assembled.

Usage: bead around the opening you are gasketing, then run a C around the bolt holes so that the open part of the c contacts the central circle. Do only one side of the two sealing surfaces and install prior to skinning, finger tighten fasteners.

I've never done this...once finger tight allow parts to sit at least 5 hours, ideally 24 . Then go back and torque the fasteners. The explaination was rtv goes on as a round bead, you finger tighten to create an eliptical shape and allow to sit for 5+ hours so it skins over and start curing. Then you can torque without fear of sqeazing all the product out.

For what it's worth.

Also, if the temperature range is exceeded the rtv ashes and it's sealing properties are gone.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn good info Kevin. Thanks. Checking the crimp on my tubes as soon as I pry my hands off the keyboard. Got an important install tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4