Thinking about building a 4WD Viper - similar to the old Corvette 4WD hacks...

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I have too much time on my hands right now, but I've been thinking about what a hoot it would be to turn a Gen II GTS into something like this Corvette hack. From crude measurements, a lot of the standard Mopar/Jeep components will fit under the body... I know it's sacrilege, but it would catch some looks. I think I'd add a camo color scheme to it :)

You must be registered for see images attach

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
please dont as you said it sacrilege, if you want to do something like that pick up a stingray like in the picture, it can be had cheap and will still get a ton of looks

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind I wouldn't use a car that is in 'good' shape as the starter project. There are some GEN II cars out there that had some serious damage done to them (bent frame, messed up suspension, etc.) that just can't and shouldn't be brought back to 'stock'. That would be a good platform to do something crazy with.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say do a GTS with a mid engine AWD. That would be crazy! Maybe stretch it a little and use a transaxel. I don't know food for thought, but I would love to see a Viper do a AWD smokie!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:devroll:i would find one like new and butcher it.... hehehehehehehehe

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know most people would think it's stupid and crazy, and I can't disagree on that :) It'll probably never happen (at least by me) since there are a lot of other projects that are way ahead as far as priorities go.

That said, I can't get the idea totally out of my mind. It would be cool to try and marry up a bunch of Jeep Grand Cherokee driveline pieces (shortened chassis), with a GTS body style, and do a crazy 'road warrior' type of paint job on it. When I do that rough calcs, things 'look' like it would be possible to get everything to fit (with a ton of work). Problem with the JGC is that the body is an integral part of the chassis - so it's not as easy as just lifting the JGC body and popping a GTS body on it. There would be a ton of frame work to do to keep the thing from breaking in half or twisting itself to pieces...

When I was in high-school, a guy down the street from me did a job on a Stingray that was so ridiculous it was cool. I think he took a lifted K-5 Blazer chassis, built the heck out of the driveline, put a 427 in it, and got the Stingray body to cleanly integrate (with a roll cage). It was beyond ridiculous looking, but when that guy took it offroad and really ran it hard, it was a sight to behold (and a sound that blew your mind). That thing was the quintessential apocalyptic road-warrior vehicle.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I'd use an RT/10 body though so you could take the top off. That, or turn the GTS into a T-top. A big 4WD vehicle like that you should be able to see the sky. :)

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That has to be a model, right? It just doesn't look life size?

From the Ad:
the Ad said:
It is hand layed fiber glass. It is the complete body and comes with the main body, one peace front and inner and outer doors. Could be used for drag, drifting, or even road racing.
I think if it was a model the blades of grass in the photo would look bigger.

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT8 Jeep conversion would work.

That's where my thinking started. The SRT8 has got a really stout tranny and transfer case, and uses Dana 44 axles all around. What I'd want to do, though, is possibly fit it with more 'off road' pieces that had to come off for the SRT8 to make that platform work well on the street. For example, toss in some of the aftermarket off-road bits to give it some real traction and articulation, put locker axles front and back, and see if one of the manual trannys might be made to work.

The nice thing with starting with something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee is the wheelbase is only about 10" longer than the Viper wheelbase, which gives room to shorten drive shafts and frame pieces as needed. There will undoubtedly be a ton of clearance issues, and having almost of foot of material to potentially hack out can make some problems go away.

I'd really like to find a way to stuff the V10 in there - I've done some research and it can be made to mount to the tranny in the SRT8 (it's their German high-strength tranny), but I don't think there's enough room under the tunnel for that engine, the tranny and transfer case. Might have to go with a supercharged 6.4L Hemi instead, which kind of removes some of the allure for me... I think it needs to keep the V10.

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It reminds me of the Viper TV show, the Viper would transform into an off road vehicle. I tried to find a photo of it but my network is limited.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rod holder front bumper in op's pic :2tu:

attachment.php

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala