Thinking of another Viper

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Morning Viper folks!

I am thinking about getting another Viper, and remember when the 2008's came out, and Bill at Woodhouse wrote a great piece about the improvements over the previous years. I have the opportunity to get a Copperhead at a very good price (Not sure of the paint chips on the front Fascia). I loved my 2005 Copperhead. I think my desire is a Black 2008, but I can get the copperhead for much much less at this point. 1) Should I just get the Copperhead to get back into a Viper, and 2) How rare is the 2008 Black SRT ? I think I can get the Copperhead for about 20K less than a 2008. Going to the Mopar Nationals in Columbus this weekend, so hoping to have some great discussions.

Thank you!

John

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think the Copperhead is going to be more rare than a black 08 just based on the fact that the Copperhead was a limited edition. As for differences between them, depending on what you are looking for you can more or less turn a gen 3 into a gen 4 without too much effort. I'm almost at that point on my 04 just from coincidence. I've put a gen 4 rear end in it and after my engine rebuild and new cam I basically put down gen 4 power. The only real difference a gen 4 has over me at the moment is the different transmission, though that's only a 5th and 6th gear difference if I remember correctly. I think it's probably also generally beefed up, but a T56 is plenty strong to start with if you treat them well.

OP
OP
S

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I simply want to drive to enjoy, I'm not going to do that much to it outside maybe exhaust etc. Also, wondering about color match if I have to paint the Copperhead, but thank you. The Copperhead is a beautiful car, IMHO! The price differential is substantial in what I am looking at!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've always really liked them and you don't see them very often. It's a very neat color that always looks a little different based on the lighting.

OP
OP
S

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you - I agree. Will do another Post - Wondering if anyone has experience touching that paint up, or doing something like repainting the front Fascia, and matching the paint ?

John

littlecaars

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget the clutch engagement and feel. The 08 is the first Viper with duel clutch disk. I have had all gens except gen five and I will tell you the clutch on my 08 is far superior than all of the previous generations. You also have a prettier and more aggressive looking hood. In addition to the better clutch operation you have a much smoother transmission when shifting.
You state that you have about a $20,000 price difference which is substantial.This might influence your final decision and rightfully so.

OP
OP
S

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you, yes, love the Hood and I know he Transmission is far superior. The Engine has more power as well, correct? But again, the car I have found needs some work, just trying to figure out if I can get it to the level I want for a decent cost. I agree, the color is quite unique and I love the Sidewinder wheels as well.

John