Thinking Out Loud...Considering Options for my 1st Viper Purchase

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you find a good deal on used Autoform bar, your looking at about $2k for the bar and bulkhead, plus shipping.
I just bought a "used" bar and bulkhead from a fellow member that never got around to installing it on his car, for just under $1,300. Unfortunately, UPS Freight messed it all up and I'm in the process of getting it all taken care of. I need a new bulkhead from Autoform ($800) and I have to get the bar itself re-powdercoated. I'm not too upset about the PC though, since I'm going to have it done in metallic silver to match the car.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
IMO the Gen 4 will always be the race car that is street legal. No electronics to deal with in terms of traction control,no top end limiter, 600HP--a true race car. Also there were only a small number made--less than 3000 total I think for the three model years. That makes it a rare Generation compared to the Gen 3. I have both a Gen3 and a Gen 4 and equally like them, however the extra 100HP in the Gen 4 is very noticeable. I purposely bought the Gen 4 due to rarity and power. There will never be another car like it. This fact will make the Gen 4 very desirable car down the road, much like the '96GTS. I will probably get a Gen 5 eventually but will never part with my Gen3 or Gen 4. I think that production on the Gen5 will be very slow at the start due to getting CAAP up and running and due to the entirely new car. In this economy I wouldn't think the pricing will be much different from the Gen4. I also think that the power will rise on the Gen5 over time as happened on the Gen4. Another reason to not jump the gun on a Gen5. Anyway hope you enjoy your future Viper and welcome to the greatest car club in the country--Dave

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you find a good deal on used Autoform bar, your looking at about $2k for the bar and bulkhead, plus shipping.
I just bought a "used" bar and bulkhead from a fellow member that never got around to installing it on his car, for just under $1,300. Unfortunately, UPS Freight messed it all up and I'm in the process of getting it all taken care of. I need a new bulkhead from Autoform ($800) and I have to get the bar itself re-powdercoated. I'm not too upset about the PC though, since I'm going to have it done in metallic silver to match the car.

wow they've gone up a lot since I bought the one I had on my 03. Pretty sure it was about $800 when I bought it.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All gens have this problem. It is the worst on gen 3's. Just take the bolt out lock tight it and put it back in. If the balancer has moved change the balancer, the metal in the balancer is softer then the crank. Takes five mintues to do.

Out of curiosity, did you actually do this process yourself in 5 minutes.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, did you actually do this process yourself in 5 minutes.

Five mintues to remove the balancer bolt lock tight it and put it back.

If you wait for the balancer to spin you will have to clean the crank and I replace the seal. It takes me a lot longer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala