Throttle Response

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Reading several of the posts on here today got me in the mood. So I went home and got the Viper and headed back to work. I noticed something that may be a problem and thought I'd hit up the collective intellect of this group.

When I let off the throttle the engine revs stayed the same for about three seconds and then dropped. When I accelerated and then let off the throttle the same thing happened. It does this seemingly every time. I let off and the revs do not drop at all, and then all of the sudden they do. When I accelerate in traffic at low speeds, depressing the throttle and immediately letting off leads to a 3 second surge in RPMs.

Anyone know what might be causing it to act like this?

Thanks,

Dirk

FASTFUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are hitting the brake................you are also hitting the gas peddle at the same time. If not I do not know.............however might be a sticky throttle cable. Good luck! :usa:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It may not be your engine ... the RPM guage may be faulty ... mine was, on my 2005.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have noticed when I let off the throttle, the revs drop in two steps, first at a relatively mild rate and shortly thereafter, more quickly-almost like the fuel was shut totally off.

It doesn't bother me and I assumed it was simply a emmissions driven charateristic to limit HC polutants.

VTen555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car does the same thing.

Noticed it more after adding the K&N. Also noticed that it seems to happen more rapidly when cold out.
I just disconnect the battery for a minute and it goes away for a while. A few weeks later it will comes back.

It's so simple to do and it's easier than having the Dealer re-flash the computer which was done for me a couple of times with the same result.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All srt-10 vipers do this as it is a way to get emmissions in check when deaccelerating so that there is not a rich mixture present. This has been done on all cars since the 80's. A cheap cure is to superglue a small piece of shim stock to the throttle stop button so that it holds the throttle slightly open. Try different sizes till you get the results you want. Alos you should go down to your local parts store and get a throttle return spring that has a eye on one end and a lonf straight extension with a hook on the other. Pull your throttle cable off and put the eye behind it and snap the cable back on, you mught need to snip the wire on the eye down a bit for a nice smooth fit. Then pull the spring back towards the radiator support and drill a small haole in the support to clip the spring into. This solved the problem in mine. I can make these springs up with the right length and bends if you want but it is easy to do yourself.

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is the same issue that causes throttle up/down mini-surges at parking lot speeds when just slightly opening the throttle. This should fix it. Thanks Robbie

Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine