Ticking at start up

BriansViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After sitting for 4-5 days, my 05 has a ticking sound at start up. The sound goes away in 5 seconds or so, it never did this before. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this?:confused:

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is most probably the hydralic lifters filling up with oil and then taking up the clearance in the valve train as oil pressure builds up. When some engines set for a length of time,the lifter "bleeds down" and the valve train clearances open until the motor is fired and the oil pressure again takes up the clearances.

Some of my Vipers do this, and some don't, seems to vary from car to car. It is also affected by the weight of oil being used, as heavier weight oils tend to stay in place better on shut down, but take longer to come up to pressure on start up. Make sure your car oil level is up to the FULL Mark, and as long as the noise goes away in about 5 seconds, don't worry about it any more

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 05 does the same thing and I am not too worried about it.

I use Mobil1 0-40W and a Purolator PurOne filter in case anyone was interested in details.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While it could be the lifters, if they're making the noise it shouldn't be a new noise. I suggest you both check the exhaust headers for a leak. There is a known weak spot where a flat steel gusset is welded to the outside of a few of the exhaust tubes and the tubes crack under the weld. The header leaks for a few seconds/minutes until it heats up and the thermal expansion closes the crack. It only happens on start-up but will probably get worse with time and is covered under the factory warranty.

OP
OP
B

BriansViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, I'm going to take my viper to a dealer in N.J (Buhler Dodge) just to be sure while it is still under warranty. I called them last week and he said it could be an exhaust leak also. My concern is that my car never had a ticking sound before at start up. I only have 7,800 miles on it and I have 3 weeks until the warranty runs out. The dealer told me the extended warranty will cost me $1,930.00, full coverage 4 yrs or 50,000 miles. Does anybody buy the extended warranty?

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, I'm going to take my viper to a dealer in N.J (Buhler Dodge) just to be sure while it is still under warranty. I called them last week and he said it could be an exhaust leak also. My concern is that my car never had a ticking sound before at start up. I only have 7,800 miles on it and I have 3 weeks until the warranty runs out. The dealer told me the extended warranty will cost me $1,930.00, full coverage 4 yrs or 50,000 miles. Does anybody buy the extended warranty?

I have an extended warranty here. Good money spent IMO. Especially at the rate my car trashes P/S Pumps I'm going to be using it.

OP
OP
B

BriansViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received a price of $1,930.00 for an extended warranty? Is this the average price or should I shop around for a better price?

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the coverage level (i.e. "Max Care") and deductable per visit. Did the dealer tell you what the "list" price was so you could see what kind of discount he is giving?

Mine original runs out the end of this month and I just bought the extension from Tators. I got a slightly better price (Max Care, $50 deductable) , but that was thanks to his 25% off for the VCA helping to save Tators and that discount expired May 31st.

Still worth giving others (i.e. Chuck) a call.