Tips on closing the hood??

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is slightly embarrassing, but can anyone give me some pointers on closing the hood on my car. It seems like every time I have went to close the hood, something goes wrong. The first time I went to close it, the hood wouldn't fully latch and close flush on one side and I didn't know how hard I could safely push down on it to get the latch to engage. I ended up just releasing everything and starting over.

Then last night I go to close the hood and as the hood begins to catch, the driver side portion of the hood doesn't line up on the roller mechanism. So now I am sitting there with the hood caught on the safety latch, one side in the roller mechanism, the other not and since the hood is slightly twisted it does not want to release. I am straining on the lever with all my might, but it won't budge. It got so bad that at one point I look down and the release handle had completely torn all the skin from my knuckle and blood was pouring down my finger. I was beginning to get very concerned, wondering what I had just done to the multi-thousand dollar hood of my car. I walked away from the car in a panic and came back a few minutes later after I had very slightly cooled off and by the grace of god got the hood to release. I then went and lined everything back up, went a little slower, and other than a raw knuckle and large bruise on the top of my hand everything was fine again. I know there must be an easier and less stressful way to do this. Any tips for the newb would be appreciated.

--------------

'97 GTS blue/white stripe

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After closing the hood down....press down at both rear corners to make sure they are all the way down before you go to the front to push it down.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I close it by pressing both hand firmly down atop where the hinges mate to the hood - this is just inboard of the vents, about halfway down the vents (think of the middle vent as the spot then move inboard on each side about 6 to 8 inches)

Poke your head under the hood and line up where the hinges are to get a good visual. You'll get used to exactly where they are over time.

It does take more force than what I was using originally - I think that my initial force was in direct correlation to the cost of the hood. :) I found that using a little more force in the right spot did the trick (ummm....yeah...)

My logic for this is simple - all stress is being applied to the actual support system for the hood and not in between them, reducing the potential for stress cracking, etc.

Also, I find that first gently closing the hood down completely to where the latch rests against the loop, then opening it up to the intermediate open step before finally shutting it firmly helps. Not sure why but it just does. :)

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check to make sure the hood is not touching the headlamp(where hood, lamp and fascia all meet). If touching, you need to raise the latch. VERY simple adjustment.
I like to slowly close hood w/out it latching, to make sure it's in the rollers, then raising and firmly closing.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything said so far is correct. I think the main thing is to take your time.And don't be embarrassed to ask this kind of question...everyone in the Viper community had to learn the same way you're learning. Sometimes we still don't get it right!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The Gen I and Gen II hood latches are complex mechanisms that need coordination in adjustment for proper latching...our Vipers ALL have a very different feel and require a different "final closure" position/stroke for success. You will get used to yours, and make small and careful adjustments as needed.

OP
OP
C

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have family coming into town next week and I am sure the hood is going to be up and down numerous times. I now won't worry quite so much about apply pressure to the hood. I can just picture my hands going right through it.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have covered the closing tips but I always keep a white towel and some Z-6 in the trunk. When you close the hood put the towel down and you won't have hand prints left behind-if you forget a quick spray with the Zaino and wipe down will make her 'happy' again. This also works for the finger prints your family WILL leave behind.

Bill

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not had one problem ever closing the hood. My tip? Slam the thing shut real hard. I've never had it once even SLIGHTLY off on either side. Its 100% even every shut. And people think I really know what I'm doing, since I've never messed up once.

I give it a nice hard slam shut. I dont really see how this could damage anything, its clear they were designed to be shut hard like this. I'm used to it from the mustang, I would have to top my hood for like 2 feet and let it slam into place.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DITTO.....works perfectly every time; the last paragraph is key. I cycle two or three times rythmically then push firmly & cleanly down & back. Like golf swing, it's not how hard you do it, but how smoothly you do it.

I close it by pressing both hand firmly down atop where the hinges mate to the hood - this is just inboard of the vents, about halfway down the vents (think of the middle vent as the spot then move inboard on each side about 6 to 8 inches)

Poke your head under the hood and line up where the hinges are to get a good visual. You'll get used to exactly where they are over time.

It does take more force than what I was using originally - I think that my initial force was in direct correlation to the cost of the hood. :) I found that using a little more force in the right spot did the trick (ummm....yeah...)

My logic for this is simple - all stress is being applied to the actual support system for the hood and not in between them, reducing the potential for stress cracking, etc.

Also, I find that first gently closing the hood down completely to where the latch rests against the loop, then opening it up to the intermediate open step before finally shutting it firmly helps. Not sure why but it just does. :)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Have seen spring fly off of the catch latch (the small lever that you trip when hood open only about an inch) with a hard slam...not easy to put it back on if you're on the road...but, must admit that one of ours DOES require a "controlled" slam.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never slam my hood but being too gentle doesn't usually work either. As pointed out above, slamming could be real bad if the alignment of the hood is off so much that the tip of the hood slams directly on a headlight (yes, the tip can break off).

Anyway, I always check to make sure that things are aligned well around the rollers before closing and then employ a fairly even but not too aggressive use of force with my hands well positioned on the hood just about where the latches will catch.

My '00 had a poorly aligned hood and while the dealer fixed it one day, when they gave me the car back I noticed that the hood wasn't completely closed---glad I double checked (as I always anticipate half-asped work here at South Florida Dodge dealerships).

That tip about the towel & Zaino Z-6 is a good one for hoods (and maybe for closing the doors on new SRTs too.)

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DITTO.....works perfectly every time; the last paragraph is key. I cycle two or three times rythmically then push firmly & cleanly down & back. Like golf swing, it's not how hard you do it, but how smoothly you do it.

EXACTLY - thinking of it as a golf swing is a very good analogy. :) Working into it bit by bit works out the slack and allows it to shut easier.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do NOT press down on the hood right over where the latches are (right on the front leading edge of the hood). This stresses the front edge of the hood.

Look underneath and see the cross bracing from side to side near the duct. This is where you put your hands to firmly press and shut the hood.

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It definitely takes a firmer approach than you would originally guess. The first few times, I kept closing it too lightly and then it wouldn't close all the way, and I'd sit there and try to get it to go that last little bit, which never worked.

Close it down to the intermediate step (where the front is a few inches up and the rollers are in the tracks), then put your hands about a foot and a half from the front (on a towel!) and give it a firm push.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My .02 worth. When I was a newbie a couple of years ago I too got embarrassed in front of some Vette guys when my hood got totally stuck in a crooked position on a slanted street. I had to limp home with it stuck this way with my tail between my legs. Have the best method now, taught to me by a tuner, (Ted May). Push slowly 2-3 times to cycle the rollers and springs, then with the hood about 3-4 inches away, push right on the back edge of the Naca duct with the knuckles of your fist facing into the hood. This way no finger prints or smudges show up, and it is a real stong part of the hood. Of course if you happen to have a clean towell around, I use that instead. The knuckle thing works good for all of those times when people want to see in your engine compartment, and you don't want them to think you are tooo anal by going into the trunk to get a towell before you close the hood.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wrap my hands with the front of my shirt, and close the hood that way... might look stupid doing it, but no fingerprints.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do NOT press down on the hood right over where the latches are (right on the front leading edge of the hood). This stresses the front edge of the hood.

EXACTLY - good point to clarify between latch and hinge.

Here's a pic of where I press down (I too use small detailing towels when doing this to avoid handprints all over the place).

(X marks the spot on either side)

You must be registered for see images

Look at the vents - right in the middle of them. Now, move about 7 inches in board on each side and down just a touch. That's where I press down and I have absolutely ZERO flex or issue.

Pressing on the very front of the hood will cause issues like 95Viper described.

Make sure you press on the HINGES where the brace is attached, not the LATCHES.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you guys nuts?
Any time now someone from the Vette forum is going to see that we have this long thread about what?
Changing the cam....No
Porting the heads...No
Superchargers.......No
We have a long thread about...Closing the hood.

Even a long thread about Zaino is more manly than how to close the hood.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe - not all new owners can shut the thing, resting assured that they aren't going to somehow destroy their it (and reading that they cost $10K doesn't help). Not everyone coming into Viper ownership is familiar with a clam shell setup.

Heck, I've seen other owners and mechanics try to shut Viper hoods in a way that nearly results in cracking the thing.

That was a little harsh of you I think - no flame, but the guy had an honest question and various folks had honest suggestions. New owners will have new questions and if they feel like they can't ask (and if folks can't help out) then what's the point of a gathering of owners?

Don't worry about what 'vette owners think. Who cares?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't serious. I was just kidding about the Vette forum because there have been a few recent threads about them talking about us.
I'm going to have to start using those cartoon things so people will know when I'm not serious.

But since we are talking about it, your first response to him was all that he needed. It covered all the bases and gave the reasons.

I might just as well tell him how I do it.
I push down right about where everyone else said. Then I give it a little extra push when it's close to the bottom.

Keep an eye on the lube of the hood mechanism. A little touch of spray oil every so often keeps it free.

And don't ever try to move the car with the hood in the up position. It might contact the front tires.

And be careful about opening the hood in high wind.

And get in the habit of not feeling like you need to open it up for everyone who asks. Or you'll be spending a whole lot of time opening the hood.

I don't think the hood mechanism is robust enough and I think every cycle stresses the hood.
Use it as little as possible.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhh...I couldn't tell, you've had some grumpy days lately.

(I'm joking! :) )

For what it's worth, I had to start using smilies with my employees years ago so they knew that I was just ribbin' them in emails and such. Often times I'd get massive apologizes or strange replies, leaving me baffled...using them is a habbit I've carried into forum use but it does do the the trick in replacing inflections and such.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good info. But I have a very stupid question, how do you safely OPEN the hood? Do you simply grab the top edge of the fender (driver side) and lift up? The reason I ask is I felt slight wobble when I try to do this and just wanted to confirm that it's safe to do so. Also do you guys press down fairly firmly and do it slowly?

thanks!

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opening the hood is a bit tricky.

You have to invite all of your Corvette owning neighbors over to help you lift the car, turn it over where you can then pull the release latch - thereby allowing the hood to swing open completely.

Note that you will need a very tall garage for this. I suggest doing it outside.

Seriously, pop the latch, and at the rear of the hood grasp one leading edge of the curved portion leading down towards the fender AND the center rear leading edge near the middle on the back of the hood with your other hand to minimize flexing. Do it slowly.