Tire bulge

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just noticed a bulge in one of my front tires. I'm assuming this is not repairable?

It's a 2008 with 9500 miles - would this be considered a warranty defect?

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's definitely not repairable and I doubt you'll have any luck getting it replaced under warranty.
It "could" be a defect in the tire itself, but it's "usually" caused by a hard impact like a pothole. It actually ruptured the bands inside the sidewall of the tire. Get a new one on there ASAP!

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's definitely not repairable and I doubt you'll have any luck getting it replaced under warranty.
It "could" be a defect in the tire itself, but it's "usually" caused by a hard impact like a pothole. It actually ruptured the bands inside the sidewall of the tire. Get a new one on there ASAP!

Exactly! Just get a new front set, or splurge for a new set of Michelin Super Sports...they're already 4 years old....

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is one front ps2 in the classifieds, jump on it!!!!!!!!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As above, replace ASAP.

boosttoy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most likely this is a impact break.Mark the bubble with tire chalk before deflating and then have dismounted.Check the inside of the tire where it was marked and look for a cut on the innerliner.If a cut is found it most likely came from a hard impact that pinched the tire between the wheel and impact.Mark the wheel also and check it close for bends,flat spots and cracks.

Good luck,Frank

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Def. not repairable, I had a similar issue with one of my rear PS2's. Developed 3 bubbles in the sidewall. I called up Michelin and they had me take it to a authorized retailer. Their determination was I had to of hit something. I explained to them that was impossible but they didn't care and didn't wanna do anything to help out. I haven't bought another Michelin since.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tires dont get bubbles on the sidewalls like that on thier own,, period...... doesnt happen unless they come like that from new... and only 1 out of a million come damaged new

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Def. not repairable, I had a similar issue with one of my rear PS2's. Developed 3 bubbles in the sidewall. I called up Michelin and they had me take it to a authorized retailer. Their determination was I had to of hit something. I explained to them that was impossible but they didn't care and didn't wanna do anything to help out. I haven't bought another Michelin since.

Three bubbles in the same tire does sound a bit odd, by how is it impossible to have hit something? With low-profile tires, only takes about a 3-inch abrupt edge to bubble a tire... Possibly hittting the same hole/bump three times?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three bubbles in the same tire does sound a bit odd, by how is it impossible to have hit something? With low-profile tires, only takes about a 3-inch abrupt edge to bubble a tire... Possibly hittting the same hole/bump three times?

They were on my show wheels back when I still had them that were not on every often. The bubbles were on a REAR tire not a front which means I would have had to of hit something hard going backwards pretty fast. Roads are pretty decent around here as long as your not in a construction zone. I'm very observant when it comes to stuff in the road or potholes, always looking well ahead of where I'm going (good habit I picked up at the track). 2 bubbles were on one side of the tire and the third was on the opposite(forgot how many were inside vs. outside but it was def. both).

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Continue thinking about what could have caused it, but REPLACE that tire IMMEDIATELY or just don't spend a single mile using it on the road or track. I had a similar 'bubble' last year caused by running the tire a little low on air for a short distance. I pulled it right away and within a few days with the Texas heat, it expanded into a full blown bubble sticking out of the carcass. Driving on it is a promise for problems!

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i wouldnt run it on the track, but on the street i would run it until the tread is down to replacement time.
i have had this happen to at least three tires in my life time.

my bubbled nitto lasted the full life of the tread with a bubble and i now have a near new PS2 with a bubble.
the PS2 will have to last until tread is gone.

I have never had the bubble cause failure. Remember, there is another layer of rubber behind that bubble, so even if you cut the bubble layer with a blade it still has a back up.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $300. or so why would anyone want to chance a blow out at speed. It may never blow but why would you risk it?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the price of tires today, it might be well worth your while to have it looked at by a Michelin dealer. Michelin has a pretty comprehensive warranty and if they can cover it, they will.

However, at 5 years old, and 9,500 miles it is a goner either way.

Agree with others, the Pilot Supersports are the way to go if you need all 4 replacement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang