Tire pressure lesson

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last week I had new tires (PS2's) put on my '96 and took it on the expressway yesterday. When there was no traffic ahead I ran it up to 120mph when the car became very loose side to side; scary in fact. I found that the "technician" had put 55 psi in the left rear tire and 35 in the others. Lesson learned-don't assume anything.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"It's NOT Your Fathers Oldsmobile"

The Viper chassis is so stiff, that even 4-5 PSI variance across left-right can result in a push to the low side. In effect, it sets up a NACSAR "stagger" with a taller tire. Will also cause a low-side pull under braking.

The same thing happensif you destroy one tire, and replace just that one tire. You have a taller new tire, maybe 4-5-6/32" taller, opposite the shorter used one. NOT SAFE!

I have seen good heads-up results with those Auto-Zone style VALVE STEM INDICATORS, where a green button displays when full, and changes colors to yellow or red as the pressure goes away..... It wont protect against the ***** who put 55 PSI in once, but it could save your butt vs. a slow leak, VERY COMMON!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon is 100% correct in what he is telling you guys. Those Autozone pressure sensors do work. But the tire guy who put in 55 lbs should not be calling himself a "technician", sounds more like a back yard mechanic to me.
Robbie

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can not believe all the money everybody puts in their cars, and they don't watch their tire pressure. That one day you decide to go 150 mph, and you did not notice that there was a screw in your tire, and you started out with only 15 psi in your tire??? That is why I installed the "Smart Tire" system on my car. The next time you change tires, or if you just want piece of mind, the Smart Tire system is a band that runs around the center of your rim, and it gives you pressure within 1/2 a pound and Temp of each tire as well. It also has alarms that go off if it exceeds a certain drop in pressure or rise in temperature. I pull out of my garage, and every tire is 29 psi exactly. Then after driving 15 minutes they are up to 32 PSI and it is only 60 degrees out. It sure gives me piece of mind, knowing I can read any tire's pressure within 1/2psi at any time. especially before I am going to go fast.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run a SmartTire system in my 4WD offroad van for 5 years. The internal batteries are just now begining to fail. It's saved me 3 times in as many years so I could change the slow leaking tire in a safe location with the alternative having a tire failure on steep, rock crawling, switchbacks.
Friends and I have bought the system and replacement parts from Shaun at Bob Dickman Tire, Junction City, OR 800-257-8430. They sell lots of SmartTire system to Class A RV's and trailers. Tell Shaun that David with the Sportsmobile from Santa Barbara recommended him.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can not remember how much, because I had a bunch of work done at the same time, but I think the system is around $250.00 and to install it is cheaper if you are changing out tires anyway, but if not, you have to consider how much they will charge you for dismounting and installing the sensors on the center of the rim, and remounting, and rebalancing your tires. I think that day I did alignments and everything else, and it was $500 total?? It has been over a year now though. Here is the company's website.

http://www.smartire.com

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do a google search for the system - I bought a second system last summer and the best price I found was from a place called Vulcan Tire, as I recall, for about $50 cheaper than other places ($220? or so, as I recall). TireRack used to sell them, but didn't have the best price.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the effect is very similar, in radial tires the extra pressure is more equivalent to a stiffer spring rather than a taller tire. The NASCAR taller tire thing went away when they, too, went to radials.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen