Tire questions for the track rats on the board

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the purpose of shaving new tires before using them on the track?

How does this affect the performance of the tire (a) on the track and (b) on the street?

What are the pros/cons of using a shaved track tire on the street?

TIA

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To reduce the height of the tread. On the track you can chunk the tires (break off chunks of rubber) because the tread is too tall, especially on the outside regions. Also, a lower tread height improves the responsiveness reducing a squirmy feeling in transitions.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It also squares off the tire more and there for gives you more tread at the contact point. In a street car with high performance street tires you really have no need in shaving. It will also majorly decrease the wet weather capabilities of the tire especially in any standing water.What tires were you thinking about shaving?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What is the purpose of shaving new tires before using them on the track?

How does this affect the performance of the tire (a) on the track and (b) on the street?

What are the pros/cons of using a shaved track tire on the street?

TIA

-DRAMATICALLY LESS LIFE = MORE COST PER MILE
-DRAMATICALLY BAD IN THE WET or COMPROMISED TRACTION
-ILLEGALLY THIN TREAD....COPS NOTICE THIS !

You wont develop the HEAT that shaving seeks, during street driving

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a set of shaved R888s (rears) with 1 heat cycle on them. They also still have lots of tread left on them. Picked them up because the price was so good.

I am running them on the street and they hook great. (I only drive the car in great weather). Was just curious as the questions above (I am not a track rat). Thanks for all the responses. :2tu:

Reaction score
If the tires are for the track only they will benefit from, as was said above, reduced chunking possibility, better overall feel and grip. They will only be compromised in wet conditions with puddles and heavy rain, not in just damp conditions.

The tire life on the track will be "better" than unshaved since the tire will not chunk or get overheated leading to rapid heat cycling out. Even if you start out with full tread on a track tire and do not chunk it on the track it will heat cycle out and get less grip before it ever "wears out" so shaving the tires will get the most out of it in the long run and be safer.

On the street they will puncture easy, are illegal most of the time, will heat cycle before they wear out, and do not grip as well as on the track because of gravel, sand, dirt etc. The street tires are much better suited for the street in all these respects.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shaving Tires for Competition

One of the reasons radial racing slicks are so effective is because they feature shallow tread depths and their contact patch acts as a single unit. However, any tread design breaks up the contact patch into smaller elements and additional deep tread depth (required to enhance wet traction) allows tread block squirm which will reduce dry performance. This means that tires typically provide their worst wet traction ... and their best dry performance just before they wear out. However, its also important to remember that the heat generated every time a tire is driven activates bonding agents in the rubber. As this process is repeated continually throughout the tire's life, its rubber compounds gradually harden and lose flexibility reducing the tire's grip. Therefore, a shaved "new" tire will provide more traction than a tire worn to the exact same tread depth after being driven for thousands of miles on the road.

Tire shaving is an effective means of permitting more of a tire's performance capability to be realized early in its life. Tire shaving removes tread rubber and reduces tire weight by several pounds. A shaved tire's tread profile will usually result in a slight increase in the width of the tire's contact patch putting a little more rubber on the road. The resulting shallower tread depths reduce the tire's slip angle, increases its responsiveness and help stabilize its cornering power by minimizing tread block squirm. Minimizing tread block squirm also reduces heat buildup and the risk of making the tire go "off" by overheating its tread compound. And in many cases, shaved tires used in competition actually have a longer useful life than tires that begin being run at full tread depth.

So with all of these benefits, the next important question is: "How far should a tire be shaved?"
Hoosier R3S03, A3S03, R3S04 and A3S04 radials, as well as KUMHO ECSTA V710 and Avon Tyres Tech R tires are manufactured with 4/32 to 4.5/32" of molded tread depth and do not require tire shaving.
Most other DOT-legal Competition tires begin with about 6/32" of molded tread depth. While some tires do not require shaving for dry autocross use, all of them will benefit from shaving to about 4/32" tread depths for driver's schools, track days and competitive track use in dry conditions.

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't mean to get this thread side-tracked, but does anyone know where someone can get a tire shaved??

I've got a fairly new set of PS 17's that I flat spotted. I want to shave them down to remove the flat spot. Can this be done? Does anyone know where you can get this done?

Thanks for the help!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most places that shave tires will only do it on brand new tires.

Used tires pick up tiny rocks and dirt in their treads that will quickly dull the expensive cutting tools.

Some members have reported good success by putting the flat spotted tire on the rear and doing a burnout. Smooths down the high spots.

Badly flat spotted tires usually need to be replaced. (Refer to Parts Rack post above for pricing).

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh I figured that was the case. I hate to throw them out as they only have about 2-3k miles on them. They are my second set of wheels, which I was going to use for track events.

Flat spots ****!

If anyone has any other suggestions beside putting the fronts on the rear and doing a burn out to remove the flat spots, I'd love to hear your suggestion.:dunno:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32