TIRES

VIPER 2006

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2006 coup this weekend I noticed that I have a nail in each rear tire. These are the original tires car only has 2600 miles on it. Can these be plugged?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think the answer is "it depends"

Are they runflats? Runflats that have been driven without pressure put a lot of stress on the sidewalls. The structural integrity gets compromised. The plug may fix the leak but won't heal a broken down sidewall and there is a risk of failure in that area.

Normal tire with a nail in the tread? Lots of owners have repaired with the patch/plug and drive ok on the street.

Take them to a qualified repair person. They should be able to evaluate and give you direction on your specifics.

Gary Weeks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2006 coup this weekend I noticed that I have a nail in each rear tire. These are the original tires car only has 2600 miles on it. Can these be plugged?

I have patch-plugged both rear tires on my 05 with run flats with no problems. But neither tire was driven low on air.

OP
OP
V

VIPER 2006

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are run flats explain what you mean tire driven low on air.

Gary Weeks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are run flats explain what you mean tire driven low on air.

That means that the tire had a nail in it but was not driven with low air pressure? I found the nail when I had the wheel off the car and it still had 29 PSI in the tire. It's my understanding that if the tire is run with no or low pressure for any length of time then it needs to be replaced?:dunno:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: PATCHING TIRES

'have a 2006 coup this weekend...' Have a Nice weekend!

Plugged? No. Patched? see below:

...No, runflats can not be patched..

I've got some mustard to go with that baloney!

Runflats can indeed be patched . . . same basic rules apply as with other radial tires. What Marv Says!

Last edited:

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the answer is "it depends"

Are they runflats? Runflats that have been driven without pressure put a lot of stress on the sidewalls. The structural integrity gets compromised. The plug may fix the leak but won't heal a broken down sidewall and there is a risk of failure in that area.

Normal tire with a nail in the tread? Lots of owners have repaired with the patch/plug and drive ok on the street.

Take them to a qualified repair person. They should be able to evaluate and give you direction on your specifics.

Marv (or anyone)

I drove my car 5 miles today with no air in the RR tire (2006 runflat - hole near the center of the tread width in a tread lug), light acceleration and easy cornering at low speed. Tire has 10k miles and plenty of tread. I plug (patch) my own tires, so I would like to know if this tire can be plugged (patched) or will it need to be replaced in your opinion? Thanks in advance! Eric

Last edited: