To hot to drive the viper????

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm on my way to Dallas Texas (in my Lincoln with a/c seats) and the temp is saying 102. I couldn't even imagine driving
my vert around here it's just to damn hot to be enjoyable! For all you texans and (wallbanger I know you live close enough) do you guys wait for the sun to go down or just drive the verts in the winter months?

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ever since I changed out the exhaust, it's no problem driving my vert in the hot weather. If it gets too bad, I just drive with the ac on with the top down. Honestly though, changing the exhaust from the stock was key, big time.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm here in Dallas and have driven my '08 to/from work and all around town, everyday this week. Even in 102F, it still didn't run hot at all! And my a/c blows snowballs in all but crwaling stop 'n go traffic, and even then it's still cold.

I find it more difficult to drive the car in near freezing temperatures bacause the soft rubber compound not having enough temp. to have any grip.

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not taking about Ohio weather......I drive my viper all summer hot or not but I'm talking Texas hot

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm here in Dallas and have driven my '08 to/from work and all around town, everyday this week. Even in 102F, it still didn't run hot at all! And my a/c blows snowballs in all but crwaling stop 'n go traffic, and even then it's still cold.

I find it more difficult to drive the car in near freezing temperatures bacause the soft rubber compound not having enough temp. to have any grip.

I think your missing the point I was trying to make.......yes cold weather is very hard to drive in for the lack of grip but being this hot in Texas you probably never take the top down and the car is just to hot ( with or without crossover pipes). Maybe you get use to it but coming from Ohio with nights in the 60,s and day time temps in the 70-80,s you really get use of a convertible. I have been looking to buy a used e46 m3 convertibleand seem to find a few good deAls in Texas ,,,,, now I know why

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's the answer you've been waiting for.......

I'm in Houston and yes, the temp is in the triple digits (109 deg. with the heat index). I do not drive my vert with the top down until the sun goes down (around 7 - 7:30 p.m. or so). AC has little effect in a vert with the top down in 100+ degree temperatures. And yes, my car is still original (still has the factory crossover) which would make it even worse.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been 100+ ambient for the last week or so. My AC blows cold no matter what. Not too many tops down until after 6pm. Being a native we keep the house at 78. 78 feels aweful cool when you come in from outside where it's 100+.

Now you knw why the attire down here is shorts & flip flops. You also know why we all where jackets when the temp drops under 70. Grip is not really a problem - JMO.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, where's all the die-hard bare-bones Viper guys complaining that Viper's shouldn't have A/C anyway?

Ohh yeah....I drive mine with the top down as much as possible....From low temps where even the factory exhaust couldn't warm your legs, with heat cranked all the way up, and a thick warm hat & gloves to keep my mellon & hands from icing up....To so hot, max A/C was useless and I had to swim in my own puddle of crack sweat while driving.

I do recommend a hat & suntan lotion to keep from looking like a lobster when you're done.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to texas ullose...lol..

We are experiencing some pretty hot weather in Texas the last couple of weeks....i do still drive in the 95 plus weather but not as much and with the top up and ac on.....it did cloud over a little this evening and the family and i went out for dinner...on the way home i gave my 7 year old a ride home and she demanded the top down....I had forgotten what a blast it is driving with the top down .. you can hear the sweet sweet belanger headers/exhaust a lot better....

We did have a great spring here ,, probably in the 70s for 3-4 months so there is plenty of top down driving weather but it is limited in july thru september... there is also a lot of top down driving in the winter month.....There are a lot of people around here who don't take their tops down on their cars until it is 90 plus...to each his own

This car leaves me chit faced every time i drive it with the top down

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ohh yeah....I drive mine with the top down as much as possible....From low temps where even the factory exhaust couldn't warm your legs, with heat cranked all the way up, and a thick warm hat & gloves to keep my mellon & hands from icing up....To so hot, max A/C was useless and I had to swim in my own puddle of crack sweat while driving.

Ouch! Now that's going to ruin my whole evening!:no:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
took the top off my R/T about a month ago, i avoid driving it while the sun is out (hat a must), :crazy2:

usually don't run a/c with top off, just wait for the shirt to get squishy and then lean forward and get the evaporative cooling as the wind swirls around :drive:

crack sweat drys after exiting :2tu:

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well that about answers the question.........from yes it's really hot and we don't drive the cars to no it's not that bad and I love swamp ass..... Lol. It's all relative to what your use to, i'm now in mckinney tx and the weather last night was great......I would just have to assume spring and winter r the times that most people enjoy the verts. Either way you don't have to deal with snow

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Houston, TX here-

When it is 100+ like it has been lately, top up during the day, top down at night. That is what the convertible is for, if ya want the top up or down it takes like 15 seconds. :)

Spring/fall/and part of winter - top down all the time.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Temperature does not count - top up only if it is raining :drive:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did! :D :D :D :D :D
P9092819xxx.jpg

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine sits outside at work, so it's 120+ inside when I get in the car at 4pm usually (no tint either). It's just hard to breathe inside for the first 15 sec with all the hot air inside, after that, it's okay. I don't care what the weather is like, I love driving my car.

I do have a GS430 with ventilated seats, and tint to also take to work, but find myself driving the Viper more.

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like I said before I know any car can be driven in this heat, I just find it really uncomfortable when it gets this hot(Texas) to be rolling around in a any convertible let alone a viper this just seems to run extremely hot. It's what ever you use to

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we're shooting for 107* today. The dew points are finally up too. :crazy2:

It's not a convertible but I still drive my Viper every day. I don't even bother with a/c when it's this hot out. Windows down driving down the freeway is how I stay (relatively) cool. :cool:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100 deg. or more no problem in the coupe as a/c works good. As long as there is no fricken rain and its dry as it has been here lately in Houston, Im happy!!:headbang::drive::cool: