To Remove Cats Or Not Remove Them...

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have headers, no cats, no resonators- just straight pipes out the back- on my '97 GTS. I also have an LPE engine with major headwork, rockers, a mild cam upgrade, etc. It is LOUD- by far the loudest (sports)car at the track, and even louder than most formula cars. It is insanely loud for in-town driving. Additionally, I gained 35 rwhp with the cat/resonator delete (compare the two curves below):

8908ViperDyno1-1-med.jpg

I would NOT recommend this for daily-driven Vipers, or for street Vipers in general, but for me it is perfect! Just about every person that has ever heard my car claims it is the loudest car they have ever encountered. Quite the intimidator when passing at full throttle in 4th at the track...

Shawn :2tu:

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I bought them at partsrack. In fact I don't know of anyone else that sells them. They did take about a month to arrive though.
Gary

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have headers, no cats, no resonators- just straight pipes out the back- on my '97 GTS. I also have an LPE engine with major headwork, rockers, a mild cam upgrade, etc. It is LOUD- by far the loudest (sports)car at the track, and even louder than most formula cars. It is insanely loud for in-town driving. Additionally, I gained 35 rwhp with the cat/resonator delete (compare the two curves below):

8908ViperDyno1-1-med.jpg

I would NOT recommend this for daily-driven Vipers, or for street Vipers in general, but for me it is perfect! Just about every person that has ever heard my car claims it is the loudest car they have ever encountered. Quite the intimidator when passing at full throttle in 4th at the track...

Does it quiet down in sixth gear at a highway cruise?

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby3-

Yes, it does quiet down in 6th at low rpms on the highway. I try to shift very early in town, and keep the rpms as low as possible.

You are in Arlington? I am at the 35/635 area in Dallas- if you ever want to hear the car just let me know (you can probably hear it from your house anyway- lol).

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I'm in Arlington and will likely try the everything delete configuration to attempt getting rid of the ratty sound. However, it will still not be my loudest car. I would like to hear your car if we can hook up somewhere.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I'm in Arlington and will likely try the everything delete configuration to attempt getting rid of the ratty sound. However, it will still not be my loudest car. I would like to hear your car if we can hook up somewhere.

Just come to NC and you can hear the baddest sounding Viper on the planet. :D :D :headbang: :2tu:

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score

8908ViperDyno1-1-med.jpg

you said that youve gained 35 ponies from removing the cats and resonators. Was your motor completely stock at THAT time? If not, I wonder how many more ponies you can get . JUST by deleting the cat and resonator.

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vipeuup-

No- my car put down 538 rwhp at that time- significantly more than the stock GTS. I have an LPE engine with headwork, rockers, cam (and spray that I never use)... So, I am not sure what the difference would be for a stock motor with deleting the cats/resonators/mufflers.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a borla exhaust cat back and they are known as being the louder system out there but you can ask anyone that has heard the car idle and drive,

Sorry, the B&B is much louder.
I work on and store my buddys 2000 RT/10 and we cruise around alot together. We have the exact same mods for the last year. The only difference was our cat back systems. His being Borla and mine being B&B. He still can't hear his car when I'm around. Now that I have added the RR's, my car has gotten a snappier sound and maybe even a little louder. 149db to be exact.
He is planning on removing the rear mufflers that come with the Borla system just so he can hear his shift points when we race LOL
His does have a deeper throatier sound than mine though.

Corsa is the quietest followed by Borla and then B&B.

Yeah the B&B exaust is the best one that i have heard as well. Definately cant hear the other vipers around you when you are driving :cool: Maybe those RR's will give you the win next year at bemidji huh tracy???? I wouldn't mind if my car was even a little louder. It sure sounds loud at 5k downtown in between buildings :headbang: :headbang:

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A friend and I just did my 96' last weekend. Belanger headers, cat delete, and B&B 3" exhaust. Loud, well, it's not bad unless you're on it. When you're on it, it's just AWESOME!!!!!

I almost bought the Random Tech from partsrack, but they said it was a three week wait as they only ordered them to be made, and didn't stock them (PLEAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZE!!), so I got the B&B setup from Roe and couldn't be happier.

I was able to carry on a cell call in town fine, but haven't tried it on the freeway yet, and suspect the main issue will be wind not the exhaust on the freeway.

We have 100F + temps most of the summer out here, so that was the main reason of the cat delete, but now I need to get my heater working as I'll miss the space heaters during the winter :)

Cal

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe those RR's will give you the win next year at bemidji huh tracy???? I wouldn't mind if my car was even a little louder. It sure sounds loud at 5k downtown in between buildings :headbang: :headbang:

Get rid of the cats, then it will sound almost as good as mine. BTW my cheque was for $50.00, how much was yours? :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have the cats removed with Belanger headers and Randomtech Exhaust. If you are considering an exhaust system check out the Randomtech's. I think they can't be beat. They sound great, have the crossover, look beautiful, and cost less than all the others.

Every single one of our customers who bought the Cat-back from RANDOM TECH, especially if they added the RT Stainless-Ceramic cats, has been very complimentary of the sound. Under $1300 INCLUDES 2 HF CATS !

(Now 2-weeks to ship, wheras Corsa, B+B, MoPar in stock.)

Blue Streak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New97owner , If you are going to the Rod Run at Pigeon Forge this weekend, Ill be there in my B/W GTS. I have headers, no cats, and the Belanger. You can check it out if your there.

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok , I have a question. Are the resonators the ones in front of the cats? If not,where the hell are they, unless I already took them off? Also, does the borla and/or corsa cat back have the same looking shape muffler as the stock one? I can't tell if mine is stock or aftermarket?
Thanks!!!!

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pic of the resonators? How about a borla, corsa, etc. aftermarket pic of their exhaust, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT cats dont make a difference in heat dissipation, its barely noticeable. The sound gained is slightly better than OE cats. sounds like a gurgling tone. just go catless.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you guys losing any back pressure? I am really considering the Cat-delete. I have Random Techs, race bullet mufflers and an X-pipe. I am so tempted to delete the cats.... A little encouragement is requested here. ;)

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pic of the resonators? How about a borla, corsa, etc. aftermarket pic of their exhaust, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

eh bro, you see the res.? The cat is in the front, behind it is the res.

[image]
9579Valaya_Racing_011-med.jpg
[/image]

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

[image]
[/image]
if i am wrong please feel free to correct me but the picture is showing the cat and muffler only the resonator is located under the ass of the carin the back center. and to answer the question the guy had regarding indentifying his exhaust to be stock or altered, look at the way its mounted. MOST altered systems ie. cat-back are bolted on not welded on. if its welded in place it PROBABLY is stock. even if the owner was anal and had his catback welded in place you would think you could tell from the look or the weld if it was factory of after the fact. hope this helps.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
On the car shown, the Resonators are in the side sill, directly behind the cat on each side. The Muffler is in the rear center of the car.

Ona stock Viper the side sill resonator connects to the cat by way of a band clamp - it's not welded to the cat.

You often find clamps instead of welds if the cat (like going to the RT) , not cat-back, has been changed from oem.

[image]
[/image]
if i am wrong please feel free to correct me but the picture is showing the cat and muffler only the resonator is located under the ass of the carin the back center. and to answer the question the guy had regarding indentifying his exhaust to be stock or altered, look at the way its mounted. MOST altered systems ie. cat-back are bolted on not welded on. if its welded in place it PROBABLY is stock. even if the owner was anal and had his catback welded in place you would think you could tell from the look or the weld if it was factory of after the fact. hope this helps.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you remove the cats, do you remove only the part before the resonator or do you have to remove also the part (you can hardly see it on the picture) that is just before the curve (just before the pipe enters into the side sills). Is it part of the cat or what is that?

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you remove the cats, do you remove only the part before the resonator or do you have to remove also the part (you can hardly see it on the picture) that is just before the curve (just before the pipe enters into the side sills). Is it part of the cat or what is that?

Kingsnake
The only thing under the "ass" of the car is the muffler.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was not talking about the rear of the car but in the front, just after the end of the headers (on the right side of the picture).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery