To The Dark Side

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm new here, lurked for a couple of months, spring fever is full throttle, & I'm thinking of switching teams if ya know what I mean. I have a line on a salvage titled 99 RT 10 out of KY; supposed to receive pics this week & maybe go get a bird's eye of the beast this weekend. Asking $31k, and says it can be up to ***** with $6k (front quarter & polish hairline crack in the hood). I don't necessarily need to go cheap, but was thinking that since this was the body style & color I wanted, why not? Prolly keep the thing forever anyway, so resale is not an issue. It is supposed to have exceptionally low miles.

Question is concerning price and reasonable haggle range from someone familiar with the nitty gritty. He says the hood REALLY does not need to be replaced. He already has a quarter panel lined up. I intened to independently verify engine & drivetrain condition, so all I'm really concerned about is the body damage.

If I don't get this one and decide to go for regulation Snake, I plan to take my time looking this summer & buy in the winter. That should give me plenty o time to get up to speed on the nuances of buying a used Viper, but I'm wondering if I got a deal on the line here with a fixer upper.

I know I'm short on deatails, but gut reaction?

Thanks Guys

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First reaction - there is no "front quarter panel!" On the front there is just the hood and front facia.

Post some pics when you get them. I am going thru a full rebuild and can give you an idea on prices. JonB at the Parts Rack is a great source for parts on a repair/rebuild job.

Any more details?

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$31K for a salvage title car sounds high to me. If it really only needs a few minor fixes then how did it get salvage title in the first place? I would suspect bent frame in addition to the body damage.

OP
OP
B

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, wherever there is a quarter panel is where he's talking about. I didn't even think to challenge the remark; one-piece hood. I feel like an idiot now.

Aside from that, he gave the typical bs about how the hood cost so much to replace etc etc 15 grand yada yada yada and that was prolly the threshold break for cost more to fix than what it was worth. My gut feeling is that he's asking too much as well, but wanted some confirmation.

I really won't wave good scoop till I see it & I will post some pics. I'll also get the VIN.

Again, Thanks Guys for any insight.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bid on alot of salvage vipers, no $31K is not high for a retail buyer if it has low miles and minimal damage. PLEASE-tram under the car and check squareness of the frame!! Frame damage is typical and not evident unless you measure. Look for kinked rails and flaked off paint as well. You can get hoods with minimum damage for about $1000 and damage free for about $5000. I don't know Ky requirements on salvage titles every state has differant requirements and some are more difficult than others. Do some reasearch and know what you have to document before you by and begin repairs. Nothing like having the car done and the state will not title it because you did not have a recipt with vin number to the used hood you bought from a junk dealer. Be aware if you ever do sell or trade, it will be difficult (but not impossible if the car is done right!) Do you know a good body and frame guy you can take to look at the car with you? If you have less than $40K in this car to fix it right and it has low miles you'll do OK!

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just going by my experience. In the past 3 months I know of two cars with fairly minimal damage that went for around $15K. One had a salvage title, the other didn't. The one with the salvage title had bent upper frame rails and attributed largely to it being totalled.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960