To those who predict skies falling on Viper on account of upcoming Z06

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best to wait and see IF the new Z06 can surpass the last ZR1 before predicting the skies will fall on the latest Viper. I find this negative attitude among Viper enthusiasts taking the superiority of the car that has not been tested yet, rather troubling.:crazy2:

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forums are weird.

A LOT of the negative feedback for the GV seems to be coming from NON-owners.

Like ANY car, of course it has a few things that could be improved/different. But overall it is amazing that it was produced and provides a wonderful driving experience. Unlike the Vette, the Viper is a race car attempting to be a street car. The Vette is a street car that can only aspire to be a race car when it grows up. They coexist, balancing performance aspects slightly different either side of an imaginary line.

Read over on Camaro5; that bunch of pansies are worried that if they make the engine run on all 8 cylinders (as it should); by electronically bypassing the AFM, that something will go wrong. Really? A V8 running as a V8 as God intended instead of dropping to 4 during AFM is going to be a bad thing? :crazy2:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect post MB, agree 100%, I dare you to drive a Gen5 and not come out smiling.

And now, I don't have to keep correcting myself when I say Dodge Viper. After 15 years, it's become habitual, so it's all perfect now :)

As to the 8 to 4 cylinder thing, WTH? That sounds like something a prius would do, I try to do everything opposite of what a prius would do ;)

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it comes out at around or just over $100k it'll need to be good.

I'm sure it will be good. And, I'm sure that a loaded C7Z will be near or maybe over $100k after you tack on all the go-fast stuff such as the Z07 package, etc.

But - it still will NOT be a Viper. Different strokes for different folks; I'm just glad there are choices.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forums are weird.

A LOT of the negative feedback for the GV seems to be coming from NON-owners.

Like ANY car, of course it has a few things that could be improved/different. But overall it is amazing that it was produced and provides a wonderful driving experience. Unlike the Vette, the Viper is a race car attempting to be a street car. The Vette is a street car that can only aspire to be a race car when it grows up. They coexist, balancing performance aspects slightly different either side of an imaginary line.

Read over on Camaro5; that bunch of pansies are worried that if they make the engine run on all 8 cylinders (as it should); by electronically bypassing the AFM, that something will go wrong. Really? A V8 running as a V8 as God intended instead of dropping to 4 during AFM is going to be a bad thing? :crazy2:
I like the way you think:2tu: Oh and AFM and DI together in one car is a recipe for problems (there is an excessive oil consumption problem caused by AFM, just for starters) . A used Gen 5 Viper is a way better bet than any of the latest Corvettes. I'll pass on Camaro and its forums, yikes. :D

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll pass on Camaro and its forums, yikes. :D

Indeed.

I like how nobody seemed to bat an eye at paying ~ $130k for a mass produced, plastic fantastic, outgoing chassis for the ZR1; yet publicly take issue with paying $100+/- for an SRT or TA spec Viper that is a very limited production (in relative terms), hand built, proper supercar.

Obviously both get the job done very well, but it's such a different experience getting there.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Indeed.

I like how nobody seemed to bat an eye at paying ~ $130k for a mass produced, plastic fantastic, outgoing chassis for the ZR1; yet publicly take issue with paying $100+/- for an SRT or TA spec Viper that is a very limited production (in relative terms), hand built, proper supercar.

Obviously both get the job done very well, but it's such a different experience getting there.
The difference between Corvette and Viper is mainly due to lower base price for Corvette. Corvette crowd has no issue with paying for the options since technically speaking, Corvette is that "bargain". My 09 Z06 came up to 93k due to options, clearly a Viper territory at that time and that was not even the ZR1.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvette has a loyal following...with tens of thousands of people trading up every few years. I can't understand how the Viper compares to that. I'm so happy it's a "Dodge" Viper again. Good move.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the demand for the Viper in 20 years... when the kids who put its poster on the wall are now adults with the cash on hand to buy such an exotic piece of work. you guys will all be kicking yourselves for not buying them before they have "heritage"

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both and love them in different ways mind you it's a C7 making 591 RWHP and a Gen3 Mamba. The Viper is a handful and the C7 is a joy to drive. Best of both worlds.

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I apologize in advance, I rarely post here, but...

OP:

I remember sitting at the computer for months, waiting for the big reveal, reading every single morsel, drinking the Kool-Aid, being the proper fan boy. Waiting with check in hand for the new Gen 5 (my employees made fun of me for months).... But when it was revealed I can honestly say, I wasn't very impressed, sadly deflated, especially at the price tag (Bang for the Buck).

I have owned my current '93 Viper for 16 years and love it still today. I had an '04 from new, and loved it until it was totaled by a tech at my local Dodge dealer taking it for a joy ride. I have never been a car snob, only a car guy. I also own a 65 Vette (had a '71 at one time). Currently I also have a: Ford GT, BMW Z8, Superformance Cobra, Lotus 340r and a few other rides... Here is the deal with me... I can afford a Gen 5 Viper and thats not the issue... its just not a $150,000.00 car. I know it starts at 99k but seriously...

The styling update to me was rather bland, its pretty... but not smoking hot naked curves on a beach hot (like we were promised). It's powerful, but not blow my brains out of my head get rid of the twin turbo 911 Porsche powerful. Its exclusive, Sort of.

I guess I was bummed that it wasn't a bigger departure from the current and previous design (this seems to be happening more often these days with new releases). But the Vette is a big departure. A risky move, down right dangerous for GM, then to have it MSRP at nearly half the Viper's MSRP?

Now here comes the Z06... It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that its going to be badass, Larry Holmes could figure that out (movie reference LOL). Yes it will be over $100k, but based on the most minimal specs they released, it will stomp the current Viper. Even if its only a nut hair slower, its a substantially badass looking risky design with power to boot, at a fraction of the cost.

I am not really a Vette guy, but am a lover of cars that create trends, break barriers and force other mfg.'s to re-think their designs. I just read that Dodge is going to freshen the year old design. Thank God they are listening, hopefully I will be one of the first Gen 5.1 owners... It will sit proudly next to my 2015 Z06 in harmony.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting comments. I started this thread to simply point out that no comparisons should be made and conclusions drawn until actual performance figures for new Z06 are disclosed. I am not defending the new Viper nor do I rag here on the new Vette but again, at least IMO, the best is to wait and see what happens.:)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly true, Peter. It's a wait & see game.

I do think paying $120k+ for a vette is silly. Chevy says this one will come out at the old Z06 price points, that's in the $85 range with options, a good price point for top shelf vette IMO.

They also say they shot for ZR1 performance, so we'll see if they are hyping, being honest, or humble in that statement, time will tell as you say.

Personally, I do take interest in it if it delivers ZR1 perf at that price and has the targa - this appeals to me. But I don't see it replacing my viper, I see it being a stop-gap while I continue to wait for a gen5 vert/targa option. So I may be unique there.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly true, Peter. It's a wait & see game.

I do think paying $120k+ for a vette is silly. Chevy says this one will come out at the old Z06 price points, that's in the $85 range with options, a good price point for top shelf vette IMO.

They also say they shot for ZR1 performance, so we'll see if they are hyping, being honest, or humble in that statement, time will tell as you say.

Personally, I do take interest in it if it delivers ZR1 perf at that price and has the targa - this appeals to me. But I don't see it replacing my viper, I see it being a stop-gap while I continue to wait for a gen5 vert/targa option. So I may be unique there.
Z06, 427 and ZR1 Corvettes never sold well, they were sitting around just like Vipers. Assuming that unlike with C7 base car, all performance figures will be made available for Z06 and indeed, the new car is superior to the past ZR1, I would really like to see this one happen. Just keep in mind that there will be six different versions of that new Z06, unlike with the ZR1. Again, I will be very curious how this one plays out.

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all comes down to one word, "Heritage"! The Corvette has it in spades. The NCRS has definitely played a major part in the long term success of the car. Sure, the club provides all kinds of social and driving experiences to its members as well it should. But it also has made the cars lineage a major factor. The Viper clubs, also provide the driving and social benefits, but they done very little to conserve the heritage of the marque. The IVR is a good example. Production will soon be entering its 24th year, and the opportunities to collect and organize historical data are slowly disappearing. It's tough enough with all the privacy restrictions posed by our wonderful government. It will become increasingly more difficult as time evolves.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the demand for the Viper in 20 years... when the kids who put its poster on the wall are now adults with the cash on hand to buy such an exotic piece of work. you guys will all be kicking yourselves for not buying them before they have "heritage"

Nobody is putting Viper pictures up on their walls anymore.
GTR's and other imports maybe.

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You realize that the first gens are 20 years old -where's the great demand from the public-it doesn't exist-I think that the Viper 20 years from now will still only appeal to a select few-like us on this site

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You realize that the first gens are 20 years old -where's the great demand from the public-it doesn't exist-I think that the Viper 20 years from now will still only appeal to a select few-like us on this site
How many 20-year-olds have 100k sitting around?

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm talking about the age of the cars-you stated that in 20 years from now the viper would be in great demand-I pointed out that there are already 20 year old Vipers and there isn't a great demand for them-I wasn't talking about 20 year old people
How many 20-year-olds have 100k sitting around?

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the ZO6 is really going to start out at a Z51, which by the way is a very formidable package. From there, it will have the obvious engine upgrade, wide body kit, and aero. I am sure there will be more than I have mentioned, but it will be a serious machine and Dodge better take note if they want to stay in the game. That C7 with the Z51 package and mag ride is not your father's Vette. The ZO6 will come out with a mission and Dodge would be wise to step up their game in two areas, performance and value. It's time to stop thinking about being exclusive. Anybody recall the 60's and early 70's when performance and value sold vehicles, 340 Swingers and Roadrunners? Maybe the Viper will still remain too high priced to be taken serious by those that do not see the value, but can afford it. Time will tell when the new regime decides on their game plan moving forward.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the Vette is selling very well and the Viper is not.
Per Sergio's own word: he wants to “establish a clarity of brand positioning" and sales numbers are still the ultimate factor in deciding the fate of any given model.
The SRT8 300 is supposedly dead and we all hope the Viper is not next.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the Vette is selling very well and the Viper is not.
Per Sergio's own word: he wants to “establish a clarity of brand positioning" and sales numbers are still the ultimate factor in deciding the fate of any given model.
The SRT8 300 is supposedly dead and we all hope the Viper is not next.
yeah, and the corolla is outselling the Vette, so maybe the Vette should be trying to compete with Corolla sales by offering them in ultra beige with a 4-cylinder to save on gas. While we're at it, why don't they add a rear seat and built-in latte machine?

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper will never die out. It may hibernate, but not die. It's just too f'ing bad ass to die.

Stuntman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Gen 5 and its throwback to the GTS look but there's no denying the C7 Z06 is a monster and extremely impressive for Chevy's attention to aero and no compromises track performance (including the Camaro Z28). Their in-car video and data systems also sound pretty cool.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the Z06 at the NY auto show and it looks pretty much the same as the base C7. The more I see of them the stranger that back end is starting to look and the C7's are everywhere already. The Corvette is America's sports car and the Viper is America's exotic and that's a good thing IMO. Neither car is top dog of anything anymore performance wise so buy what excites you.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the Z06 at the NY auto show and it looks pretty much the same as the base C7. The more I see of them the stranger that back end is starting to look and the C7's are everywhere already. The Corvette is America's sports car and the Viper is America's exotic and that's a good thing IMO. Neither car is top dog of anything anymore performance wise so buy what excites you.

Thats what ***** right now, there is no American anything thats top dog in performance. I will only buy American, no matter how good everything else is. I know thats stupid, but thats me.:usa:

ericj96

VCA Member
Reaction score

The gen ones were not the poster cars in the 90s it was the gen 2 cars. Mostly the Viper GTS with stripes. Great classic cars tend to bottom out about 15 years after release. The 1996 - 2002 viper is likely the 1965-1967 vet all over.