To upgrade halfshafts, or not to upgrade.................

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of 18" Purners which I plan on using with BFG Drag Radials for occassional strip use. My question is, with my mods (tubes/filters, hf cats, B&B catback), will I be in danger of breaking the stock halfshafts with the BFGs on? I am getting better at my launches to where I don't spin as much off the line, so I don't think I'm experiencing wheel hop (which I know is the worst thing for the halfshaft). I have heard horror stories about halfshafts breaking on high HP cars, but do I have to worry about it? Any help/experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Frank

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running DRs, I would upgrade ASAP. If you don't upgrade, at least purchase another set of stock halfshafts to replace one if it does break.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperbiker,

www.ccwheel.com

The wheels look very similar to what came on all ACR cars. They are reasonably priced ($550 a wheel) and look awesome. I am slowly replacing my stock wheels, so I am using the rears as a set of spare drag wheels. The fronts will follow over the next year or so.

Casey,

Thanks for the info. I guess it is better to spend the $800 and not ruin the shocks, brakes, or worse, the car.

Frank

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you replace them I'll buy'em.

btw.....with the mods you've listed, I wouldn't.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of which route I go, I think the halfshaft loops are a must. If I replace the stock ones, I'll probably keep them as a backup should the new ones fail (good call 99 R/T 10).

......now only if I could deploy overseas one more time, then I can afford the Roe supercharger! :2tu:

jeffdai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they will probably break, i only have tubes and filters, and broke my stock half shaft when i brought it to the track. Had a little wheel hop and next thing i know my shaft was twisted and finally broke. Was convered under extended warranty so i only have the stock shaft back on, but next time im going heavy duty for sure

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang