Today's update on LETHAL 1000 dyno testing/tuning...

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today\'s update on LETHAL 1000 dyno testing/tuning...

Well, today we strapped my Viper down for some dyno testing/tuning....
Looks like we were running out of injector at around 4000 rpms. Just for fun we tuned the car for fuel and timing up to 3500 rpms. The results looked great. Looks like this pulley should do the trick and keep boost around 7 lbs on the top end.

At 3500 rpms with some decent tuning (we could have tuned it more precisely, but figured it wasn't worth it), the car put down 760 rwtq and 550 rwhp. Up to 3500 rpms, the power/torque curve followed the naturally aspirated curve exactly (except it was obviously higher everywhere). Then we started to slowly run out of injector flow.

Now we need a new set of custom injectors to flow more fuel! Already put in the order to have them made today. Unfortunately, these take some time to make. Oh well, I am used to all the R&D by now...

Given our level of boost, I am very happy with the numbers so far. Looks like you don't have to add much boost on a stroker motor to make some SERIOUS POWER!!

We also need to step up again to a larger filter as it is now restricting flow again (this one already flows about 400 cfm more than the filter Paxton includes in the kit). Looks like we need another 400 cfm jump in filter capacity.

Just wanted to keep everyone updated.
-Wayne

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Today\'s update on LETHAL 1000 dyno testing/tuning...

Sweeeeeet. Keep us updated! (oh, and order injectors for about 1200 HP -- believe me, you won't want to stop at 7 PSI :laugh: )

OP
OP
L

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ben-
Thanks. I don't think they can custom make us Viper style injectors for that kind of flow (to support 1200 hp).... At that size, it may be difficult to trim enough fuel out at idle/cruise without running into issues.'

I am hoping to get a quick/rush turnaround on the injectors...
Worst case scenario I guess I could use an external fuel rail in the meantime with some Bosch style top feed injectors. Anybody have some I can borrow??!??!
jk.
-Wayne

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good work Wayne!

Nothing wrong with piggy back injectors for a street setup - they are hard to blend and tend to create a Jeckal and Hyde motor - but that only adds to the appeal... IMHO ;) ...at least you can get decent atomisation under 95% of driving on the smaller 10 injectors. Running massive injectors cures the transition problem - but they can be a pain at low speed driving and tend to drink gas at an unbelievable rate even off the throttle in my experience.... depends on what the customers prefer I guess. I like the piggy back setup better.

My brothers Skyline runs a piggy back and it drives like a stocker (that feels like it has twice the engine size) up to half throttle - after that the extra injectors kick in and it changes note from normal to a gutteral roar and kicks like a mule with AWD clawing to get traction! Best of both worlds... it's not smooth under transition, and will buck if the throttle is backed off and feathered while full boost has just spooled up.... nothings perfect :rolleyes:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those are some SERIOUS number Wayne !! Good luck and tell them to get update their life insurance... SERIOUSLY! :)

Gerald

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wayne -- this is probably just my ignorance talking, but back when I had my Supra I was running 680cc injectors with no piggyback setup. Those supported 700 HP with ease, and had no idle, driveability or fuel consumption issues at all. That's just 6 injectors, of course -- with 10, why can't you support 1200HP? I'm genuinely confused :confused:

OP
OP
L

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ben-
I am not as familiar with Supras; although I did tweak my 93 Rx-7 TT R-1 edition #4 back in 1993.

The Vipers run a MAP type setup, not a MAF like on Mustangs, etc.. I remember APEX recently tuned a MAF Mustang perfectly with 83lb injectors. MAF is definitely a better platform to work with. Not sure if the Supra uses this one too. It may be workable, but I honestly do not think that I want 1200hp. I would be very happy with 850rwhp on 6lbs of boost. This is still what I am shooting for.
-Wayne

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wayne -- I heartily endorse the 1000BHP figure you're tuning for; you're a wise man. I think you'll really enjoy driving a boosted car. We should go drag racing @ Sacto once both cars are up 'n running -- it should be a close matchup!

Stock MKIV Supra TTs run a MAF, but that's only good up to 500 RWHP. Higher-powered cars like mine (619 RWHP) convert to an Apexi or HKS VPC setup, which is a speed-density design. However, I don't know whether they use high- or low-impedence injectors, and/or what sizes are available for the Viper injector pods.

Keep posting updates on the car -- it's great to watch these mega-HP projects unfold!

OP
OP
L

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

John-
Thanks for your insight. We have spent a ton of time testing things on my Viper. Many people have shared insight with us throughout the process. Some was very helpful, some was not so helpful. If we listened to all of it, I would not even have a supercharger on my car now.

Just a couple of things I can remember hearing:
1) While we were completing the LETHAL 750, we were told by many people that there is no way a stock fuel pump could handle a 750+hp naturally aspirated car. Not only did we do it, but we ended up pulling a fair amount of fuel out when we found out our A/F ratio was initially 10.5:1 in naturally aspirated form during testing.

2) During the installation of our LETHAL 1000, we were also told that, if you use a large supercharger, like the Paxton, you will have no room to fit the huge fluidyne aftermarket radiator. Well, we were able to make some modifications and fabrications, and it worked after all.

3) We had a few boost gauges and fuel pressure gauges tapped into the car during testing today. We noticed we could still add fuel pressure, and the injectors were just unable to provide more fuel. No drop in fuel pressure or erratic readings which are common when the fuel pump/lines, etc run out of fuel. Our initial fuel requirement calculations indicated that there was a change we could hit the limit of the injectors. Looks like we did.

4) I feel confident that the next set of injectors we receive will supply ample fuel for the setup. Could I be wrong? Sure I could. But, based upon what we learned thus far, I think we should be all right. This is what the R&D process is all about.
-Wayne

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i also had supra before my viper. hks vpc is comes with 550cc chip but you can buy 680cc chip, which is b-chip for sigle turbo setup. i went with stand alone in my supra when it was making 800rwhp with six 850cc injectors.

talking about computers look for aem ems for viper.

which single turbo setup did you have in your supra?