Tony Kirk's GTS Viper @ Clash of Titans at HRP

Reaction score
Tony Kirk\'s GTS Viper @ Clash of Titans at HRP

I'm not sure how many of you here are interested in street tired Viper drag strip runs but what the hell, here goes.

Nick Field of TNT Motorsports drove Tony Kirks '96 GTS in the True Street class at the Clash of Titans at Houston Raceway Park over the weekend. The car went a 9.65 @ 149 on ET Streets. They make the cars drive 25 miles before the race and prohibit anything being done to the car, not even raising the hood, yada yada yada, to simulate a real street race.

9.60's on street tires has got to be one squirelly ride. :eek:

Congrats Tony and Nick.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tony Kirk\'s GTS Viper @ Clash of Titans at HRP

Not to take away from the time by any means, but an ET Street is a street tire in only the most technical sense. It's a slick with 2 or 3 tiny, shallow grooves that almost require some imagination to even see. I don't know anyone who actually uses them on the street. What kind of mods did the car have, anyway?

OP
OP
G
Reaction score

Albert, I would try to explain the mods to you, but most of it would be way over your head, and the time that I would spend in such a futile attempt to edify you would be a colossal waste of time. :shocked: :eek:

I'll give you one hint though. It's way beyond Dr.Pepper on the clutch. :D

OP
OP
G
Reaction score

Not to take away from the time by any means, but an ET Street is a street tire in only the most technical sense. It's a slick with 2 or 3 tiny, shallow grooves that almost require some imagination to even see. I don't know anyone who actually uses them on the street. What kind of mods did the car have, anyway?

No, no problem Red. We all know that ET Streets are way better than Michelin Pilots.

Mods are simple. 510 inches, 10:1 compression, hydraulic roller cam, ported stock intake, and a set of my no flowing heads on it. Just your basic streetable Viper with a cage, nitrous kit, and some sticky tires.

(But don't tell Albert. It's top secret. :smirk: )

Reaction score

Thanks for stopping by and trolling my thread(again) Albert.

Have a nice evening.

Greg

Hey no problem, I'm always here to help. It gives me great pleasure when I get complements from such a nice guy like yourself.

Reaction score

Greg,

Please ask if you can come out and play. It's getting late so you might be all snuggled up in bed with your favorite teddy bear, but I am bored. Maybe you can type some big words on here and impress some of the other youngsters.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Greg - it was my perhaps-mistaken belief that most of the 9-sec cars were running those same 11.5x26 ET streets. However, your message seems to indicate otherwise. Have you figured out how to make the big 14x28 Hoosiers work without grenading the driveline yet? If so, I need to call you. My baby needs more dragstrip traction in the worst way... (10.11 @ 152)

OP
OP
G
Reaction score

Ben, these are an old set of 10x26 ET Streets, not 11.5 inchers. Nick claims that the slicks he runs in the unlimited class races, which are the same size, 10x26, are worth one tenth over the ET Streets. With the ET Drags, the car can run a 9.50 in the heat of the day.

He plans on putting 12" tires on it when these wear out(which oughtta be pretty soon). I wish I could tell you if a 14" tire will go on but I don't know.

Yeah, you definitely need some more traction. 152 MPH is some awesome speed. If you can get your car to hook you're going to be a contender. I think it's only a matter of time before some of Doug's (and others) cars start giving the existing mid 9 second nitrous cars some serious headaches.

Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21