Too good to be true?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my buyer's guide is in my other office, silver is a limited year car so someone should know off the top of their head

if i may, price is almost too good to be true, have someone eyeball it in person if possible

missing nose emblem :dunno:

good luck

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
front fascia looks odd to me but it could be the pics. the missing emblem also might tell you something. i agree its a 99

i dont think its TOO far off (maybe 6k too low) but probably to good to be true.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing.
front fascia looks odd to me but it could be the pics. the missing emblem also might tell you something. i agree its a 99

i dont think its TOO far off (maybe 6k too low) but probably to good to be true.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Facia been repainted. Overspray on the tire. Flat black area where facia bolts in front of tire is now Silver vice flat black. Rubber edging on wheel well missing. Do the math....

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing a salvage title. The hood no longer aligns with the fascia. Look at the gap above the drivers side headlight. Look at the gap where the hood meets the fascia on the passenger side. No emblem. Etc, At the very least, it was probably in a wreck. I think it's a good price EVEN if it's a salvage title.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front fascia has definitely been painted but then again a lot of folks paint them to eliminate road rash. I'd have someone check the car out looking for any other signs of a crash and/or poorly repaired damage. Panel fit on these cars was never perfect so I would personally not worry too much about different panel gaps. If the car checks out I would buy it in a heart beat. The price is awesome.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hood gaps dont always mean an accident. mine is messed up on the drivers side as well and never been wrecked. but its a good sign to check things out.

costas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The right headlights placement is off, you can see that best on the 2nd picture. I rebuilded a salvage title SRT10 with the same problem, it was a bent steelpipe in front of the cooler the inner bumper structure screws on to = front damage

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Facia been repainted. Overspray on the tire. Flat black area where facia bolts in front of tire is now Silver vice flat black. Rubber edging on wheel well missing. Do the math....

I don't think that is overspray on the tire, i think it is the reflection off of what ever high gloss tire shine they used....

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea..I was relooking. Could be buffing compound. Check out the compound (or overspray..can't tell in a pic) on the inside edge of the side marker

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wheels and foglights point to a 1999. Silver was only around for 1998-1999.

+1 for fascia respray. I have a 1998 and there is a flat back portion where the fascia bolts go in the wheel well and this one is solid silver. Hell, it looks like the bolts were painted too...or swapped out for something other than black.

I only saw tire dressing on the tires, but I'd be willing to bet the fascia has been off for one reason or another.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood on the drivers side looks like its resting on the side sill, something just doesn't look right about the car.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a '99 as the interior door handles are 99+. That is assuming the silver is factory and that it isn't a repainted '00-'02. Heck of a price even for salvage. We are checking on the title just for grins...

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caveat Emptor-- A 99 and I would ask a lot of questions and make some calls after Chris tells does title run. Call dealer/mechanics who worked on it . Carfax is very good but never tells the whole story. I would also want to see it on a lift and check numbers I could get to.

Hood gap rather glaring and I agree the fascia looks funky but as someone said it could be picture (could also be someone did not know how to close hood re gap) Good luck.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can it be a 99' when the ad says it has ABS?

As far as the emblems, it appears as the side emblems on the hood are a little high which tells me it has been repainted. Proceed with caution, have it inspected.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. It always amuses me how people try to deduce a car's history from a few low resolution photos ! It is a fun internet game, though.

But, I'll play:

I'd be really concerned about that yellow thing that you can see through the steering wheel. That doesn't look stock to me !!!

It does look like it has the MGW heat/fan control knobs though, so that's a plus !!

Tires look like brand new PS2's , so I'd be careful that the seller is trying to hide something. Could be a track car. Either that's ATE blue brake fluid or, the other possibility is that the brake fluid has never been changed. I'd pass, no matter what the price. Looks like a rip-off to me. Or just a terrific deal.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At this age point. I'd bet more than 60-70% of all Gen 1/2's have some paintwork, ranging from repainted facia's and side sills from rock chips, to complete accident reconstruction. Even many of the sub- 5k mile cars I've seen have some prior work on them. Many non-original owners do not even know. So, a repainted facia alone is not a big deal at this point. Maybe on a GTSR it would be a huge deduct. But thats about it.

That said, the paintwork on this car is not that good. Nothing to good to be true about this ad. That is all the car is worth.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. It always amuses me how people try to deduce a car's history from a few low resolution photos ! It is a fun internet game, though.

you can absolutely tell from these photos, this car has had prior work. And many times you can, just from photos. No, photos arent a tell all. But in this case, they are enough to tell the car has previous work done.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe he just needs quick cash for a new camera.

If prices keep dropping I'm gonna have a second Viper in the garage pretty soon.

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks too good to be true first thing i noticed was the gap over the driver side head light and the missing badge in the front. think about it i know some people like to go badgeless but why on just the front? the sides and rear badges are still there. something isnt right.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a lot of the same flaws everyone else has but I also noticed the drivers side side sill looks like it has been reshaped towards the front. This car has most definately had an off road excursion/accident of some sort.

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
make sure that car gets up on a lift for a full detailed inspection,ride and carfax..although carfax's these days do not mean a lot. Check both the main frame and secondary frames.

Why no front badge? Obviously front end has been repainted.

Possibly a car from New Orlean's area (flood damage?)

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score

But, I'll play:

I'd be really concerned about that yellow thing that you can see through the steering wheel. That doesn't look stock to me !!!

It does look like it has the MGW heat/fan control knobs though, so that's a plus !!

Tires look like brand new PS2's , so I'd be careful that the seller is trying to hide something. Could be a track car. Either that's ATE blue brake fluid or, the other possibility is that the brake fluid has never been changed. I'd pass, no matter what the price. Looks like a rip-off to me. Or just a terrific deal.
that yellow thing is a tag on the keys I think

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, nice car for the dollars. i bet you could offer high teens and get it. from the
pics i like what i see. however with the market the way it is its my opinion you could
buy a no story genI/II in the 20's/30's. great time to be buying any toys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang