Took a look at a new Gen V yesterday.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was a bit intimidated (just under six feet) when first sitting in it and experiencing the roof overhang. Then I just got used to it and realized it was part of the feel of the interior seating. That jet fighter feel really grows on u.

If I owned a dealership with only one or two allocations I probably wouldn't allow test drives either and would probably have a premium on it to be consistent with the market. Dealers that charge MSRP on a new model supercar like this aren't the norm, they're in the minority

Local dealer who never called me back to order had a $50,000 adjustment back in May.

Now they are offering $7,000 off sticker.

And I live in a very affluent area.

I hope they lose money on it, they deserve to.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Local dealer who never called me back to order had a $50,000 adjustment back in May.

Now they are offering $7,000 off sticker.

And I live in a very affluent area.

I hope they lose money on it, they deserve to.

Which dealer is 7000 off sticker? Is it koons by tysons? I think it is a koons for the chrysler, or is it darcars?

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that could very well be the case. I guess since I am comparing it to the viper equivalent for me which would be a ferrari. Obviously yes you are right for someone who dreams of owning this car their entire life and that is how far they will get for their entire life then yea I would imagine them buying it sight unseen. So yes you could call that jaded. But as we rise up whether it is wealth,success, w/e are benchmark for comparison goes higher. But I don't consider a viper a toy car. Many people buy mercedes, audi, bmws that are 100k and don't consider it a toy car but a primary DD car. And then there are some that buy a bentley or rollys for the same purpose. For 100k I want something that does everything which doesn't exist at least untill maybe the new hi performance c7 comes. But at 135k there are little things I think should be addressed given what territory you are now stepping into and then at 200+k there are no more excuses. If I spend 100+k on anything, I want to use it every single day to get the most out of that purchase.

That is just my philosophy and there are many people who as you say consider this a toy and just want to stare it in their garage and if they have the money to drop 100k without even blinking then more power to them, I'm not there yet.

I just don't agree with the premise that a price point, in this case a six figure one, dictates whether or not a car can or should be used as a daily. For example, I consider the Lotus Evora to be an exotic toy and its "only" in the five figure price range. With the exception of the Maserati, I never test drove any of the exotics I've owned before purchasing them. Although they all had different price points and manufacturers, to me they were all exotic supercars that I liked for different reasons.

The fact of the matter is that the average Viper owner only puts 2k on the motor annually. It's a special car and u know it, which is probably why you spend so much time here...

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A ferrari isn't a 100k car built on compromise. There is no bad modern day ferrari. They are all excellent so that kind of car you don't need to drive or do anything with it before buying. A viper has a lot of problems that cause it to be such a low volume car hence why people need to drive to see if it is really the car for them regardless of how emotionally excited they get when they look at it. Not everyone has a reckless mentality to just buy the car and sell it a month later for a huge loss.

I think you're overstating the quality of ferraris, after all, I have yet to hear a Viper combust like ferraris tend to do. Let's see...Viper causing paint discoloration next to exhaust vs Ferrari bursting into flames. Yeah, looks like the more expensive car has taken larger liberties with compromise than the lowly Viper.

A lot of people like the viper but would not buy it even if they had the means. It's really just personal preference. I have always liked the Viper but did not buy one until the Gen 5 became available. I could have bought any of the previous generations but it wasn't what I wanted in a car at that price point. It doesn't mean that I think a car has to cost a certain amount for me to consider it worthwhile...i.e. saying that a viper is somehow inferior to a ferarri based solely on price is just plain ignorant.

I can afford to throw away thousands away too if I wanted too. But it is the principal of waste. If some people don't share that principal well then that is their business. I have a neighbor in the street next to mine that built a huge house but ran out of money and couldn't even finish the yard. Every now and then when I actually drive past there I see a candle they use for a light. That is where wasting will get you eventually, unless of course your a prince or king of an oil fortune or Bill Gates equivalent. Last I checked no one on this forum fits the bill.

Money spent is never wasted if you're getting something you want when you have what you need. Your neighbor is guilty of poor planning and budgeting; not so much "wasting". Wasting money would be buying a car based solely on their price, regardless of what you are actually getting for the price you pay. The viper hangs with and can potentially defeat a $300K SLS in a race...shouldn't that $200K gap in price be worth more than a few tenths of a second? And the viper looks far better than the SLS both inside and out.

But at 135k there are little things I think should be addressed given what territory you are now stepping into and then at 200+k there are no more excuses. If I spend 100+k on anything, I want to use it every single day to get the most out of that purchase.

That is just my philosophy and there are many people who as you say consider this a toy and just want to stare it in their garage and if they have the money to drop 100k without even blinking then more power to them, I'm not there yet.

There's nothing stopping you from driving around in a Viper daily but it's not built for commuting. It's built for racing and the GTS is excellent for cruising...sitting in stop-n-go traffic would not be my optimal use of a Viper. Rather than talking about how often you use something, why not focus on how effectively you use it when you do. I think you'd get more out of a car like the viper by taking it to a race track every so often than you would sitting in commuter traffic and trips to walmart.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a relative term, waste. It is my understanding that Donald Trump once tipped a waiter for great service to the tune of 1500 bucks. I doubt he did so because he could do so exclusively. Rather, I bet he thought it had that value to him at that time plus he had the resources.

Good point about F cars catching fire. They come with fire extinguishers for a reason. And let's not forget why Ferruccio Lamborghini started in the car business; his Ferrari sucked so bad as did the service that when he saw part of the problem was the same crappy clutch was in it as used in the tractors in his factory, that he decided he could build a better car. And I believe he did.

Back on topic and specifically referring to waste, who thinks they are "wasting" their time and breath In Responding to some of these posts?

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you're overstating the quality of ferraris, after all, I have yet to hear a Viper combust like ferraris tend to do. Let's see...Viper causing paint discoloration next to exhaust vs Ferrari bursting into flames. Yeah, looks like the more expensive car has taken larger liberties with compromise than the lowly Viper.

A lot of people like the viper but would not buy it even if they had the means. It's really just personal preference. I have always liked the Viper but did not buy one until the Gen 5 became available. I could have bought any of the previous generations but it wasn't what I wanted in a car at that price point. It doesn't mean that I think a car has to cost a certain amount for me to consider it worthwhile...i.e. saying that a viper is somehow inferior to a ferarri based solely on price is just plain ignorant.

Money spent is never wasted if you're getting something you want when you have what you need. Your neighbor is guilty of poor planning and budgeting; not so much "wasting". Wasting money would be buying a car based solely on their price, regardless of what you are actually getting for the price you pay. The viper hangs with and can potentially defeat a $300K SLS in a race...shouldn't that $200K gap in price be worth more than a few tenths of a second? And the viper looks far better than the SLS both inside and out.

There's nothing stopping you from driving around in a Viper daily but it's not built for commuting. It's built for racing and the GTS is excellent for cruising...sitting in stop-n-go traffic would not be my optimal use of a Viper. Rather than talking about how often you use something, why not focus on how effectively you use it when you do. I think you'd get more out of a car like the viper by taking it to a race track every so often than you would sitting in commuter traffic and trips to walmart.

The viper is inferior to ferrari not because of price but because of many other things that are extremely obvious and everyone knows it.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha. Wouldn't say that but point is I see more of them. And if I wanted a Ferrari I could and would buy one.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. It seems the engineering at SRT is well on par with those of the pricey exotics. I've been to Italy three times this year alone, even a beer costs $12 there. Doesn't make it taste better.

Viper also holds Laguna Seca course record, nearest Ferrari is at #9 on that list. 458.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing I noticed as well was the low headliner again. :-/I'm 6'2" 215 and the first thing I had to do to my 2000 GTS and 2005 SRT10 was put in a 1" lowering kit on the drivers seat. The gen V seems worse or equally as bad. I don't get it. I even asked Ralph about that issue when they were building this generation. I would not be comfortable even test driving this car for fear of running through lights. Forget the power seats. Get the damn things lower. IMO

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'4 265 no real issues fitting into my Gen V other than my shoulders are slightly wider than the seat which after awhile bothers my upper back.. But i will live. LOVE my FU^GN Viper!!!!!
You must be registered for see images
[/url][/IMG]

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, my the upper shoulder area is REAL tight, especially if you have broad shoulders. I could not make the gen5 work for me.

Hope you enjoy the car, it is awesome !!

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats Brad from Home Improvement!!!
When will u people stop comparing Vipers and Ferraris

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats Brad from Home Improvement!!!
When will u people stop comparing Vipers and Ferraris
As long as Fiat is the parent company for both Id say never. I wonder how owners of both F cars and a Gen 5 think they stack up build quality wise etc?

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should never and would never be compared as of the same class.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me the Gen V is great for what it is. It is no Ferrari, the materials maybe so like quality, but the options and build quality is a bit different.

Though, go read ferrari-chat and you'll see that Ferrari has lack luster painting abilities. Of course, plenty making excuses too for Ferrari not being up to *****.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'4 265 no real issues fitting into my Gen V other than my shoulders are slightly wider than the seat which after awhile bothers my upper back.. But i will live. LOVE my FU^GN Viper!!!!!
[/url][/IMG]

My kids loved the cartoon show "Johnny Bravo" when they were growing up. Have you thought about the personalized plate "JNY BRVO"??

Enjoy your new Viper.

Cheers,
George

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My kids loved the cartoon show "Johnny Bravo" when they were growing up. Have you thought about the personalized plate "JNY BRVO"??

Enjoy your new Viper.

Cheers,
George
In college my nickname was Dolph. Because of the close resemblance to Dolph Lundgren.. Now I gotta see what johnny Bravo looks like.LOL

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/url][/IMG]
Seriously:). You must look like Magilla Gorilla.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. It seems the engineering at SRT is well on par with those of the pricey exotics. I've been to Italy three times this year alone, even a beer costs $12 there. Doesn't make it taste better.

Viper also holds Laguna Seca course record, nearest Ferrari is at #9 on that list. 458.

I made the mistake of getting a cheese plate last year in Italy for an appetizer that I thought would have nice exotic cheese but instead I paid 20 euros for a slice of havarti, cheedar, swiss, gouda, and 3 pieces of lettuce. :( Damn italy.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me the Gen V is great for what it is. It is no Ferrari, the materials maybe so like quality, but the options and build quality is a bit different.

Though, go read ferrari-chat and you'll see that Ferrari has lack luster painting abilities. Of course, plenty making excuses too for Ferrari not being up to *****.

I guess any car one could make the argument that it is not worth the price. My only real complaint with the viper and everything else can be forgiven by the rest of it with how awesome it is, is that the shocks are generations behind. It really need a constantly adjusting system like an MR equivalent. I think if it had that, it would be perfect. And as I said before Randy Pobst agrees that better shocks would do well on this car. That is why the TA did so much better. Now imagine it with an MR system and the viper will kill everything, any day of the week.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing I noticed as well was the low headliner again. :-/I'm 6'2" 215 and the first thing I had to do to my 2000 GTS and 2005 SRT10 was put in a 1" lowering kit on the drivers seat. The gen V seems worse or equally as bad. I don't get it. I even asked Ralph about that issue when they were building this generation. I would not be comfortable even test driving this car for fear of running through lights. Forget the power seats. Get the damn things lower. IMO

Yup, I am 6'2'' also and I could not believe that the Gen5 continues with this low roof overhang issue.

This is ridiculous how Corvette , Porsche, Nissan GTR can make a fairly ergonomically comfortable car and dodge/SRT is still stuck with 1990's ergos.

BUT I have to admit that I sat in the Lambo Adventator and Murci and the Viper felt like a motorhome compared to those two Lamborghini "MRI" machines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave