Took RT Out For Ride Last Night...Top Off, Great!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get much time to take out my RT, so decided the weather was nice and I had a few minutes after the kids went to sleep (yes, wife home...didn't leave them alone).

Realized, in my small town, there is no place to really open the car up without fear of being pulled over. Took out on the highway and for a very short time, got it up to a decent speed:drive:....fearing the cops every second...one speeding ticket and I could lose my CDL (drive fire trucks).:omg:

But, wanted to say that as much as I like the GTS and its apparent greater popularity over the RT....I don't think there is anything like driving with the top off, under the stars and listening to the motor. Its just something you can't experience in a GTS (no offense intended).:nono:

Just my opinion...wanted to share.:headbang:

Thanks.

Peter

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the street I really think the RT/10 has it all over the GTS. But as has been said many times before, it's like choosing between a blond and a brunette, you won't go wrong with either.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed! For me, I like both...but never plan to track or race the car (those days are long gone). So, in making my decision as to which to buy, I opted for the RT so I always had the choice of A/C or top off fresh air. In hindsight (always 20/20), I now realize that for collectability and value holding the GTS is the better of the two.

Peter

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could not agree with you more. I love my RT/10. There is nothing like going down the freeway at 70 mph with the top off and the radio blasting your favorite band. Especially on a cool summer night when all you need is the heat of the V10 to keep you warm. :2tu:
But, wanted to say that as much as I like the GTS and its apparent greater popularity over the RT....I don't think there is anything like driving with the top off, under the stars and listening to the motor. Its just something you can't experience in a GTS (no offense intended).:nono:

Just my opinion...wanted to share.:headbang:

Thanks.

Peter

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes great feeling with the top off it's just a shame we dont get consistant weather over here. It can start out nice and sunny and very quickly change so makes it difficult to go for a long run *******. We are hoping for a good day tommorow though as the UK VCA has been invited to a USAF American Air Day and we should have 16 Vipers attending. We just love the good old American hosptality. Hopefully someone will post some good pics.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too, couldn't agree more. I just can't understand why anyone would want a fixed roof over their head unless they planned to be on a track more than the street. I couldn't care less about "collectibility" or "future value". I have stocks, bonds and real estate for that.

But then I'm pretty sure that the hard top owners have a similer but reversed opinion.

Twilight in 65 degrees with the top down = heaven!

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a GTS and after driving an RT/10 I can understand how you guys feel.
It is a great experience to ride in a Viper with the top off. You feel closer to the car somehow. Your senses are overloaded by all the sights, smells, and sounds as you open her up.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too, couldn't agree more. I just can't understand why anyone would want a fixed roof over their head unless they planned to be on a track more than the street. I couldn't care less about "collectibility" or "future value". I have stocks, bonds and real estate for that.

But then I'm pretty sure that the hard top owners have a similer but reversed opinion.

Twilight in 65 degrees with the top down = heaven!

For me, its not collectability, but I like the looks of the GTS much better. I think the lines of the car just flow perfectly and that offset my desire for open air cruising...

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez ??? We all know what that feeling is like (or do we?)!!
As for me.... Well, I drive a Gen 1.... As basic as it gets!!

I LOVE my basic, big power, no windows, no roof, RT/10.... As far as I'm concerned, most of you guys took the low road when the roof/windows was an option!! (FLAME - ON) HAHAHA.....

Let's go for a drive! we all know how fun these cars are! ... That's why we're here!!

=J

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really am hooked on the open air when driving my Gen II RT. There is nothing like it on a dry day. However, I have always been blown away by the perfect lines of the GTS. I am thinking the only logical solution for me is to get a GTS too while the prices are decent.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great posts....as I understand both sides.:headbang: I too do like the looks of the GTS and its flowing lines, but I have always been drawn to the low wide look of the RT with the top off looking from the back of the car. Almost looks like the car was cut with a sawzall!:D

My only issue with my RT, which is so minor, is that it is not really a rain worthy car....I always assume the poor excuse for a top (soft) will not keep all the water out of the car. This, for me, makes the GTS a more useful/practical body style.

But heck, you don't buy a Viper for its practicality certainly and that is why I own an RT!:2tu:

Peter

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never had an issue with leaking with my factory hard top on my 2000 rt/10 even after driving 3 hours last weekend in a florida monsoon.

I love my rt/10. it is like so many cars rolled into one. One of the things I love most is the removable back window for those days where I need the top on (to much florida sun = skin cancer and ruined leather seats) but still want the sound and ac.

but those gts sure look good.
give me an early ACR (preferably bumble bee) with the new 600 horsepower n/a engine and we are talkin heaven.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point...actually my car is originally from Boca....minor effects of high humidity seen in engine compartment....working on it!:nono: Don't think the original owner thought about it or even cared....car only had 5,300 miles on it when I bought it.

Well, I bought my RT with the softtop only...didn't want to mess with where to put hardtop when not on car. But, in hindsight, I probably should have waited for a car with two tops. I can see the hardtop keeping the inside dry, but not the softtop. Softtop is great for "ease" of removing and storing. Considering purchasing an aftermarket top with the GT scoop...but, who knows.:dunno:

For me, the RT offers more versatility for a street only car.
:headbang:
Thanks.

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the street I really think the RT/10 has it all over the GTS. But as has been said many times before, it's like choosing between a blond and a brunette, you won't go wrong with either.
:2tu: I like ******* driving myself!!! :D The only time the top goes on is when I go on a trip. And even then, the top is in the trunk! You can't go wrong either way. Just buy one of each!

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue for me, was that I was only going to get on Viper. Settling on a Gen II, I had to weigh what was most important to me overall.:eater: I do like the looks of the GTS, however, I am one of those who happens to prefer the low cutoff look of the RT. :bolt:

Add to that the option of top/no top driving, the choice for me was obvious....RT. :drive:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DOn't worry about the soft top leaking in the rain. I drove to PA. last year in my RT/10 with the soft top on in the pouring rain and it was fine. Wished I would of had the hard top on for more head room but the soft top did just fine. I even have a pin head sized hole in my top and didn't have any issues. :2tu:
Great posts....as I understand both sides.:headbang: I too do like the looks of the GTS and its flowing lines, but I have always been drawn to the low wide look of the RT with the top off looking from the back of the car. Almost looks like the car was cut with a sawzall!:D

My only issue with my RT, which is so minor, is that it is not really a rain worthy car....I always assume the poor excuse for a top (soft) will not keep all the water out of the car. This, for me, makes the GTS a more useful/practical body style.

But heck, you don't buy a Viper for its practicality certainly and that is why I own an RT!:2tu:

Peter

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The issue for me, was that I was only going to get on Viper. Settling on a Gen II, I had to weigh what was most important to me overall.:eater: I do like the looks of the GTS, however, I am one of those who happens to prefer the low cutoff look of the RT. :bolt:

Add to that the option of top/no top driving, the choice for me was obvious....RT. :drive:

FaShiZZle :spin:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good that your soft top didn't leak...not sure I would trust mine, though it is in excellent condition. After years of driving my Vettes in the rain and having them all leak, I've just resigned myself to never driving my "toys" in the rain.:drive:

I keep my top off all summer and keep it covered when in the garage.

Thanks for the post.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good that your soft top didn't leak...not sure I would trust mine, though it is in excellent condition. After years of driving my Vettes in the rain and having them all leak, I've just resigned myself to never driving my "toys" in the rain.

My 98 leaks a little in a little rain. Leaks a lot in a lot of rain.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice HHI, and I see many of you actually do drive in the rain.

As my third car, I never have "need" to take it out in the rain. Since, IMO, anything other than dry weather is probably a wee bit worse for the car...undercarriage, engine compartment, etc. Maybe I'm more concerned, as my car lived most of its life in very humid Boca Raton, FL which caused some light surface rust in the engine compartment....:nono:

But, nice to hear the varying opinions.

Thanks much.:2tu:

Peter

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm down in Florida now and loving every minute of it! I refuse to take the top off unless the sun goes down for fear of being cooked to the seats of the car! Thank god for the AC in my car. Glad I didnt buy one without it!!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be lucky :dunno: because mine doesn't leak!

I wish I could say that! Yours is just too modern. All of my gen 1 cars leaked buckets in a downpour!!! Nope, not from the tops but from the side mirror, hinge area where the door meets the windshield frame. Luckily, it's fixable with the proper application of weatherstripping and some choice words....:omg:

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish I could say that! Yours is just too modern. All of my gen 1 cars leaked buckets in a downpour!!! Nope, not from the tops but from the side mirror, hinge area where the door meets the windshield frame. Luckily, it's fixable with the proper application of weatherstripping and some choice words....:omg:
:omg: My buddy just had his 95 shipped from Washington State to South Carolina. Unfortunatly they shipped it in the open instead of under wraps in a tractor trailer like they were suppose to. When he got it today the mats and floorboard were soaked and had standing water. The lighter was wet and the ashtray had a half inch of water in it!! The radio wasn't working either. Bought it from a dealer and was on the phone with them as soon as he could settle down. They said it didn't leak when they had it there and everything worked.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the Florida thing, my in-laws live there, so I wouldn't have the top off either. But once the sun goes down, night driving is actually pretty nice some of the time (still pretty hot in the summer months).

But for up here, open driving is the way to go...if you have the choice. :drive: For me, at least.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth