Top Ten residual values for sports cars

Dexter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am curious about the corvette production numbers.

what are "heavy duty breaks"?

tell me they dont mean "brakes"? :rolleyes:

From what I hear about reliability issues, they might have spelled it correctly. :nana:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever wrote that never owned an XLR. I did. You buy it at $79,000 then its worth $58,000 and it gets worse from there. I loved it (wife's car) but just sold it because of depeciation. Had a C6 vette too--there is a reason that is not on the list.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Article seems very dated...eslises selling for high mark-ups? Ummm they are avaialable for sale now at huge discounts...

This is why I find it hilarious that people are paying $65k for the shelby GT stang..which has HIGH production numbers.....and a sticker of $40k...these cars will be sold used for $25K a few years from now. Why people never learn this lesson is beyond me.

I was in the Market for a Ford GT when it 1st came out..but the dealer wouldn't sell it to me for under $250k...the SAME car is sitting there now being sold at a discount almost a year later. Just shows you greed doesnt always pay.

A lot of people paid over for the SRT when it 1st came out...look how stupid that investment was considering the prices now.

I was also looking to buy an SRT8 Jeep when it 1st came out and the salesman laughed at me when I wanted to pay sticker, accepting no offers below $15k OVER!...now they have 3 on the lot and are discounted $7k EACH..because as gas went up no one wants them. Thats a $22k difference just by waiting a few months.

Impatience breeds stupidity

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is why I find it hilarious that people are paying $65k for the shelby GT stang..which has HIGH production numbers.....and a sticker of $40k...these cars will be sold used for $25K a few years from now. Why people never learn this lesson is beyond me.

I was in the Market for a Ford GT when it 1st came out..but the dealer wouldn't sell it to me for under $250k...the SAME car is sitting there now being sold at a discount almost a year later. Just shows you greed doesnt always pay.

A lot of people paid over for the SRT when it 1st came out...look how stupid that investment was considering the prices now.

I was also looking to buy an SRT8 Jeep when it 1st came out and the salesman laughed at me when I wanted to pay sticker, accepting no offers below $15k OVER!...now they have 3 on the lot and are discounted $7k EACH..because as gas went up no one wants them. Thats a $22k difference just by waiting a few months.

Mainly they do this because they don't care how much they lose on the car over a time period. They want the latest and greatest right now, and could care less about how much of a hit they will take. Most of these types (myself included on occassion) will only keep the car till the next latest and greatest comes along. I certainly would not call it stupidity....they are living for the moment, enjoying themselves today. I waited to buy the FGT until I got it at MSRP. If I had to do it over again, I would have paid more to have the use of the car for a longer period of time.. I consider myself "stupid" for waiting to buy....won't do that again at my age. :)

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I agree if you're older...why wait.

But I'm in my 20s...and the idea of blowing $20k to a Jeep of all things sooners...just seems stupid.

It's also very annoying when some of these dealers take this attitude when they finally have a model someone is interested in...the sales people at ford were so obnoxious when dealing with the GT...you would have thought I was trying to purchase JESUS from the Catholic Church.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

But I'm in my 20s...and the idea of blowing $20k to a Jeep of all things sooners...just seems stupid.

It's also very annoying when some of these dealers take this attitude when they finally have a model someone is interested in...the sales people at ford were so obnoxious when dealing with the GT...you would have thought I was trying to purchase JESUS from the Catholic Church.

Catholic church has been in the business of "selling Jesus" since its inception... but that's another subject.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm 32.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the GTS - its too new and you will not get a lot.
I kept mine and a got the second car - you be on your way to a collection!
Do not listen to guys who tell you to move on. If you move on you will take another depreciation hit...now is the time to enjoy what you have laready paid for.
Its more than likely that thae guys telling how much better their car actually have less that 1 hour at the track - consider them experts on car handling or braking if they put at least 2500 mile per year on the track - if not, its just a magazine quoting.
You have even used your car. Drive it.
I agree fully with the idea of not waiting...however, the honoured viper owner who quoted that also kept his other cars...
Also, you should still be able to find an SRT bumblebee after they introduce the Gen 3.5...so you are not closing any doors. You gots to build a history with your bumblebee, that's all.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Article seems very dated...eslises selling for high mark-ups? Ummm they are avaialable for sale now at huge discounts...

This is why automobiles - at least the ones you'll find on on average car lot are not investments. You'll find that most people want to be the first on the block to own and sport a particular vehicle. Some folks don't mind spending a little extra cash for this reason - not necessarily stupidity if you don't mind spending it (or lose if you have to sell).

As far as the SRT-10 goes, most of us who purchased new and paid near invoice are now feeling at least $10K hit due to the current market conditions. What does this mean to me? Absolutely nothing because I'm not planning to sell anytime soon, I'm not poor, and the "exclusivity factor" of ownership to me makes it worth the expense. Anyone who wishes to purchase or have purchased new will eventually face the same situation.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like a stretch of the definition of sports car for some of those listed, IMHO anyway.

And I dunno about the XLR, but I got a CTS-V Caddy & after finding the ass to as loose as a drunk sorrority girl, I dumped it ... or rather it dumped me, crazy depreciation.

The BMWs & Merc's I believe, even in this crappy market, those things still fetch top dollar it seems.

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty interesting. My 03 cobra has some pretty decent residual as well. I only paid just of $30k, and right now they are selling for ~$25k. Not bad since I've owned the car over 3 years.