Toyo 888 OR KUMO V700 REAR TIRES?

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1999 Roe s/c RT10
I need dry traction with a tire that looks/fits pretty good on the rear rim. (Does not have to be perfect, but close would be nice.)

My local shop has the Toyo 888 for $125 more in cost then the Kumo rears.

Which would your recommendation be, for dry straight line traction??
Comparing these 2 tires, as people have now purchased the Toyo'888 and have had them for a while? What is traction like?

Thanks.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friend of mine and UK member here zed sump has THE Toyo 888 on his 2001 RT/10. He realy likes the Toyo's but they dont last that long :( Pleanty of grip but softer tire hence they wear out quicker than a PS2! I dont know about the Kumo's but im sure someone will be along soon to help you out

Mark
:uk:

OP
OP
K

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friend of mine and UK member here zed sump has THE Toyo 888 on his 2001 RT/10. He realy likes the Toyo's but they dont last that long :( Pleanty of grip but softer tire hence they wear out quicker than a PS2! I dont know about the Kumo's but im sure someone will be along soon to help you out

Mark

What seems to get me, is just 24 months on the Michelin rears, and the rear tires turn into a banana peels. No traction, yet the tread is perfect.
I absolutely need a current date code, on whichever tire I pick.
I liked the way the Toyo's fit the rear, but traction is my goal.
I would like to find out from the end users, which is better for traction and if rear fit, is similar/ at least close, by both brands?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive just sent Pete (zed sump) an email, He should be along soon to help you ;)

I also think Nadine, another UK member uses the Kumos I know shes not around today but I will see if I can contact her for input :)

Mark

OP
OP
K

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive just sent Pete (zed sump) an email, He should be along soon to help you ;)

I also think Nadine, another UK member uses the Kumos I know shes not around today but I will see if I can contact her for input :)

Mark

Thanks Mark!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently switched from V700 to R888 on my car. The V700s had gone hard and lost traction even though they still had tread so going to the R888s was a huge improvement, but comparing the two when new, I would say the straight line traction is just about the same. R888 looks nice on the rim and they have a proper fitment for the front. I really like the R888. Here is a picture of the R888 bead interface on stock 18" Gen II.5 wheels:

You must be registered for see images

Here is the width and tread of the V700 on the left compared to the R888 on the right:

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently switched from V700 to R888 on my car. The V700s had gone hard and lost traction even though they still had tread so going to the R888s was a huge improvement, but comparing the two when new, I would say the straight line traction is just about the same. R888 looks nice on the rim and they have a proper fitment for the front. I really like the R888. Here is a picture of the R888 bead interface on stock 18" Gen II.5 wheels:

How long did you get time wise with the V700, before they got hard??

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the last three years I have run the Kumho V700. My previous two sets were great!! Stuck like glue even with my Roe, handled the corners excellent. Worked great at the drag strips. That is until this current set. Corners is where I notice it the most. I took a turn onto another street,intersection, at 30 mph and gave it a little gas.....well I was just about pointing back where I had just turned from!! And this is a spot I travel on all the time and use to playing in this spot. Once changing from the center lane to the lane to the right and back to the center at about 45mph and mildly accelerating back up to 60ish, it went sideways. Guestioned where I got these from about the DOT code showing my "new" tires were really made in '06 and the durometer(?) test showed they were only two points different than "new" ones. So, IF....I decide to trust another set of Kumho's again, I will make sure that I am really getting NEW tires. To say I am unhappy with my current set is an understatement!!! I DO NOT TRUST THEM AT ALL!!!

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just istalled a set of 888s on my gen2.5 wheels. Was going to hit the track sunday morning but forgot my dam helmet an hour away.

May go wednesday but prob not as rain is expected...

OP
OP
K

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Toyo 888 OR KUMHO V700 REAR TIRES?

For the last three years I have run the Kumho V700. My previous two sets were great!! Stuck like glue even with my Roe, handled the corners excellent. Worked great at the drag strips. That is until this current set. Corners is where I notice it the most. I took a turn onto another street,intersection, at 30 mph and gave it a little gas.....well I was just about pointing back where I had just turned from!! And this is a spot I travel on all the time and use to playing in this spot. Once changing from the center lane to the lane to the right and back to the center at about 45mph and mildly accelerating back up to 60ish, it went sideways. Guestioned where I got these from about the DOT code showing my "new" tires were really made in '06 and the durometer(?) test showed they were only two points different than "new" ones. So, IF....I decide to trust another set of Kumho's again, I will make sure that I am really getting NEW tires. To say I am unhappy with my current set is an understatement!!! I DO NOT TRUST THEM AT ALL!!!

I understand!
Over the years I have had a problem with maybe the same/or different vender. It is frustrating when they are so sure, too directly rude, that they are not wrong, then weeks later it turns out they were wrong after I contacted the place where the vender buys his items from, for the full story...

FOR OP:
Not sure when Toyo's 888 came out, but what is the traction life so far??
Similar to Kumho's 3-4 years??

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V710's are made for 18 inch wheels in 345/35/18 they stick like super glue and last about 5k miles of hard street driving. The only time they will rub is if your car is lowered and you hit a big bump with serious speed.

Last edited:

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V710's are made for 18 inch wheels in 345/35/18 they stick like super glue and last about 5k miles of hard street driving. The only time they will rub is if your car is lowered and you hit a big bump with serious speed.

on my second set of R888s. first set lasted 5500 of 'fairly hard' street driving + about 4hrs of trackdays + 1 slalom:

Pictures by zedsump - Photobucket

...but the slalom was on a fairly loose surface.
The tyres aren't top sticky until you get to trackday level of use (designed as a slick that you could drive to circuit on)...but no-one says my american car doesn't go round corners on the road after they've seen me take them round a few roundabouts with 888s! ok in the rain but don't try anything exciting above 75. (aquaplaned at 85 within minutes of a heavy downpour = standing water)
For viper fitment, on the uk market, toyos were the cheapest (of Pirelli, Kumho, Michelin) when i bought the present set. Considered PS2s to sacrifice a little sticky for longevity (don't need super sticky for most of my driving), but low on funds.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

V710s are just pure track tires I have used V700s for almost 5 years now on the street and the track (Last about a year a set driving around 5k miles). But just can't imagine using V710s there pretty much a slick tire.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are DOT approved just like a v700, and last just as long. So I guess your definition of a track tire is not the same as mine. I consider 0 tread wear slicks track tires, if its DOT approved then thats good enough for me.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are DOT approved just like a v700, and last just as long. So I guess your definition of a track tire is not the same as mine. I consider 0 tread wear slicks track tires, if its DOT approved then thats good enough for me.

The difference would be in the rain ;)
The 700 was actually/originally made for wet track use...or so a Kuhmo employee told me once upon a time.
I went from Hoosiers to 710's when they came out (for autocross)
I'm on my 3rd ?? pair of 700's for street driving. They were hooking 900whp from a second gear roll the other day....a lot of that depends on road/tire temps etc. It was 90 plus ambient temp.

OP
OP
K

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guestioned where I got these from about the DOT code showing my "new" tires were really made in '06 and the durometer(?) test showed they were only two points different than "new" ones. So, IF....I decide to trust another set of Kumho's again, I will make sure that I am really getting NEW tires. To say I am unhappy with my current set is an understatement!!! I DO NOT TRUST THEM AT ALL!!!

I installed my Kunho V700. I insited on a new date code and my local installer insisted on a new date code, (I was there for the call), and they shipped 2007 Kumho tires!
We called the shipping Company today, and they said "well we got them in stock this year" ***?

The good news is, they stick TODAY like no other tire has before!
It does look weak on the rear rim.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang