TPM Lite

sunderdahl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
recently bought a 2008 Viper Coupe with a little over 3000 miles. Tire Pressure Monitor lite was on because of bad sensor in front passenger tire. replaced all four sensors with dodge sencers. Have been told by many, including dealer mechanic, the lite will go away by itself after anywhere from 30 to 500 miles. Over 150 miles but lite still on. Been told by others that it must be cleared by dealer. Does anyone have real experience with this situation?

BlackWidow

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Check the pressure in the spare is so equipped

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
First off, your new "dodge" sensors may or may not be compatible with your rudimentary TPM system. I have seen correct sensors furnished by Dodge dealer that were so old, they were dead.

The sensors for 2003 to 2006 and 2008 to 2010 Vipers are the same...and, need to be programmed to your Viper by a Tech using a Chrysler DRB III equipped with a Supercard 2.
An exception would be if the original sensors were cloned properly.

The system (including sensors) in 2013 to 2017 Vioers are self programming to the module.

Once the programming is done (taking less than 2 minutes), one needs to drive the car 1.2 miles and the low tire light will go out...assuming that the TPM and BCM are OK...which they usually are. Unfortunately, aftermarket units like those found at tire shops will not work. I know as I have tested several.

Unfortunately, the DRB III is so old, many dealerships do not have a working unit. I usually have to take mine to the local dealer if they need one.

If you want to know more, give me a call at 317 402 9013

I will also add that I have coached newer techs at dealerships over the phone with success as long as they have a DRB III and correct sensors.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have had some luck with using aftermarket cloneable sensors. You can program them to have the same ID codes as what was in the car so in theory you don't have to reprogram the TPMS receiver itself, but I've had mixed results with that as well. I ended up getting a DRB III anyway and redid the learning process because I had some strange issues where every once in a while if I didn't start driving soon enough after starting the car up it would just chime at me nonstop like I had a flat. Restarting the car would usually fix it, but it could still sometime take some minutes or miles before the chime would go away. The most frustrating thing about it is that the DRB III emulator software won't talk to the TPMS unit for whatever reason and you have to use the real deal. I tried digging into that one several years back, but it was more involved than I really have the tools to deal with. In theory you should be able to use something like a quality OBD II dongle and a computer to send the commands, but that was quickly going beyond my limited programming knowledge. Might have to dig back into it one of these days.

JBD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got new tires on 04 SRT. Tire shop couldn't program tire sensors, said their programmer couldn't do it, would have to take it to dodge dealer. Dealer said they couldn't set the sensors because car was "too old". Dodge dealer suggested a local shop. they ordered four new sensers, one was bad, ordered another. Still wouldn't program (light still on). Ordered receiver unit behind dash, replaced that, finally got it all working and the warning light to go out after driving the car a few miles. Five weeks, four sensers, one receiver, three trips back to the tire shop (to replace sensers in tires) $850 parts, $340 labor to get the tiny warning light to go out........ the local shop would not give up when I was about to.