Track Question ?

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2004 vert with 14,ooo.oo on the clock . I am doing a track day at pocono and was wondering if i should change my break fluid and my pads . I took a look at all the pads and they have about 1/4'' of pad left any comments and where and what pads and break fluid to use . thanx for the advice in advance .

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1/4'' is gonna be a problem at Pocono.

Would replace them with stock brake pads and stock fluids unless you are looking for significant upgrade.

The stock setup is pretty good stuff.

Be sure to break them in before track day. 5 or 6 hard stops from 60 ought to do it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 2004 vert with 14,ooo.oo on the clock . I am doing a track day at pocono and was wondering if i should change my break fluid and my pads . I took a look at all the pads and they have about 1/4'' of pad left any comments and where and what pads and break fluid to use . thanx for the advice in advance .

Novices can be ******* BRAKES, and you dont want anything to BREAK.

If your BRAKE fluid is darker than corn oil, CHANGE IT. ABSOLUTELY.
If its 4-5 years old ORIGINAL, CHANGE IT. ABSOLUTELY. It wont BREAK the Bank.

.25" of FRONT PAD is likely just barely enuf for a 4-session day. Not enuf for 5-sessions. Its OK for a rear pad. Save em for rear spares, (interchangeable F=R) and get some new pads.

If you plan a LOT of track days, get Brakeman 3. $259, And get Stainless lines, $179 whole car.

If you plan 1-2 events / year get EBC Red or Yellow, (less DUST with red, decent novice track days, cheap at $109.)

Will they let you run with no hard top and no bar? CHECK THAT FIRST !!!

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes and Yes, call John Archer at 218-727-4806 at Archer Racing and he can suggest fluid and pads. I am not familiar with the layout at Pocono; if this is a road course with heavy braking, you can't go with old fluid...it will boil out and the pedal will go to the floor when you need it the most.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
14,000 miles and only 1/4" of pad left???? Unless you're tracking this car regularly, something doens't sound right.

On the brake fluid, try Motul 600. This is what I've been running. Call JonB.

On the pads, the stock pads are very good if you only track your car a few times a year. Others are good as well. I'd avoid the "low dust" pads if I were planning to track my car. They just don't hold up as well on the track.

Dan

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This the Tech Inspection form for Pocono. Note the brake pad spec. 50% of original.

Pre-Track
Tech Inspection
Form
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Year: _________________ Make: _______________________________________ Model _______________________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Owner/Driver: _____________________________________________________________ Car Color______________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Address:___________________________________ City:________________________________ State:______________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Zip: ___________________-__________________ Tel: (________)________________________________________[/FONT]

[FONT=MyriadMM_565_700_]VEHICLE INSPECTION DISCLAIMER
[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]: This evaluation is not intended, and should not be relied upon, to create a safe condition for your vehicle[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]during it’s use outside of this event or during the event itself.You agree to hold harmless the event sponsors and technicians from any liability arising[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]from the operation of your vehicle outside of, or in transit to or from, this event, or the operation of your vehicle during this event, from[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]mechanical problems occurring in your car which are not uncovered during this inspection. Each participant in the event assumes personal responsibility[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]for operating his or her vehicle and for maintaining optimum mechanical condition of the vehicle.This inspection is intended ONLY[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]as a second tier safety measure in order to provide a safer event for all participating. [/FONT][FONT=MyriadMM_565_700_]D[/FONT][FONT=MyriadMM_565_700_]RIVER [/FONT][FONT=MyriadMM_565_700_]I[/FONT][FONT=MyriadMM_565_700_]NITIAL HERE[/FONT][FONT=MyriadMM_565_700_]: [/FONT][FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]_________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Inspector Name: ___________________________________________ Signature of Inspector: _________________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Date: ________/________/________ Dealer Name: __________________________________________________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_565_700_]TECH INSPECTOR

[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]: Please evaluate this vehicle’s suitability for high[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]speed driving on a race track, under extreme lateral G loading, and fully[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]utilizing the braking system,as well as its ability to accelerate repeatedly.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Please check the box if satisfactory and “X” if not satisfactory. Use the[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]comments area to describe any existing or potential areas of concern.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Make as thorough a visual inspection as possible just short of extensive[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]disassembly.Vehicle inspection must be made [/FONT][FONT=MyriadMM_565_600_]no earlier [/FONT][FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]than May 13th.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Brake Fluid - DOT 4 or better, less than 2 months old.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Date last changed: ____/____/____[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Brake Pedal - firm & high[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Brake Calipers,Cylinders,Lines,& Hoses - no leaks or bulges,all parts[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]in suitable condition.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Brake pads - no excessive wear,minimum 50% original thickness.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Brake Lights - functional & bright.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Steering - no excessive play, no binding.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Tie Rod Ends - no wear or excessive play[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Suspension - No excessive wear,weakness of springs, shocks.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Ball Joints & King Pins - no excessive wear.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Front wheel bearings - not too tight or loose, smooth turning.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Rear Wheel Bearings - check for excessive radial & axle play[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Wheels - suitable condition; check wire wheel spokes.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Lug Nuts: secure/torqued[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Tires - VR, Z, or racing,worn not less than 3/32”, no cuts or dry rot[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Accessory Drive Belts - good condition, proper tensioning.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Hoses & Fuel Lines - Good condition, securely fastened.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Engine/Transmission/Differential - no excessive leaks.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Radiator/overflow tank - secure, no leaks, holding pressure.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Battery - “hold down” secure, caps tight, terminals clean.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Throttle - linkage smooth, quick, positive action.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Drive Shaft, Half Shafts, Joints, Boots & Bearings - sound & secure.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Exhaust system - no leaks, secure.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_]Body & Frame - no loose panels or dangerous protrusions.[/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_600_][/FONT]

XCELR8N

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you have a roll bar installed? According to the track a roll bar is required, no stock convertibles will be allowed to run. The track is checking with their insurance company to see if the stock Viper verts can run, but they have been checking for several weeks and they still dont have permission from their insurance company. I have been dealing with this and talking to people running the event and VCA officers.

If you dont have a roll bar in your vert, I would not plan on attending.

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanx guys for the fed back and a special thanx to John B @ PARTS RACK he always comes through and fast i might say . Thank god for guys like John B . he realy knows his stuffffff!

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you have a roll bar installed? According to the track a roll bar is required, no stock convertibles will be allowed to run. The track is checking with their insurance company to see if the stock Viper verts can run, but they have been checking for several weeks and they still dont have permission from their insurance company. I have been dealing with this and talking to people running the event and VCA officers.

If you dont have a roll bar in your vert, I would not plan on attending.

I ran my stock '04 at this event a couple years ago. Factory roll hoops were acceptable on a vert then. I hope they are not changing that ruling as it will eliminate a lot of cars.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the layout at Pocono; if this is a road course with heavy braking, you can't go with old fluid...it will boil out and the pedal will go to the floor when you need it the most.

From what I've heard Pocono isnt too bad on brakes.

BUT

Also remember that being new, as mentioned before you will likely overuse the brakes, stock fluid (also mentioned) will have a much higher tendency for fade and boil. The low pads also increase heat. So in short, you at LEAST need fluid and pads.

I've had brake failure before (not in Viper, but I've seen it happen in one) and it's not fun. AT ALL.

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again guys . Here are more questions ? 1) What is the best way to change the break fluid . 2) any input on changing the trannie and engine mounts I had a problem in the past shifting from 2nd to 3rd and the shifter went inbetween gears like it was in nutral any input would be helpfull thanx again .

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
1) "What is the best way to change the break fluid ."

Depends on the tools you have available to you. I change my own brake fluid regularly. Start by sucking out the old fluid at the reservoir and adding new. Then go to the furthest wheel from the master cylinder and begin bleeding. I use a "suction" type bleeder and then finish up manually. Others use a pressure bleeder. You can do it the old fashion way if you have a helper. Check the manual for more information (or just pay someone if you don't know how to do this).

2) any input on changing the trannie and engine mounts.

Yes, call Wood house and order their poly mounts. This is a very good upgrade as many Vipers wear their engine / trans mounts out at fairly low mileage. The result if difficult shifting among other things.

Good luck,

Dan

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Absolutely to both.

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone know what the stock rims on a 2004 vert should by talked down to ?

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran my stock '04 at this event a couple years ago. Factory roll hoops were acceptable on a vert then. I hope they are not changing that ruling as it will eliminate a lot of cars.

Are you very, very, very height challenged??

Independent of what the track rules are, you should be concerned about your safety. Specifically, whether or not your head will be snapped off from your neck in a rollover!

For this, go with the "broomstick rule." While you are seated in your car WITH your helmet on and the top down, have someone place a broomstick on the top of the windshield and then place the other end of the broomstick toward the factory roll hoop. If the broomstick first hits the top of the factory roll hoop and leaves a couple inches of clearance between the bottom of the broomstick and the top of your helmet, then you are probably OK. Otherwise, your HEAD may be the first thing to hit the ground in a rollover.

Not telling you what to do, just trying to suggest some things for you to consider.

Also, on fluids and brake pads, these things should have been changed long before 15k mi. If you go through pads at the track, in addition to the grave safety concerns, you will also go into your rotors. When you go into your rotors, you will most likely need to change your rotors.

I would only go to the track with fresh fluids, new pads and new or almost new tires. My goal is always safe fun!

Good luck on your track day!

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Broom stick checks out looks good . As for the break pads I have 1/4'' of break pad left should I change them still .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang