Tracked my 96 gts again looking for opinions

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i first got my car i took it to my local 1/8th mile track and ran a consistant 8.1 @ 95 mph. This was with 20" nitto invos on the back with 1.9-1.8 60' times. The car has full exhust w/o cats, filters and tubes, and 3.55 gears. So last thursday i went back to the track with a set of 17" m/t drag radials. It was in the 90's and very humid. I put the air pressure to 20psi did a small 1st gear burnout and lunched around 3000 rpm. The car hooked good 1.7 60' and i ran a 7.8 @ 92 mph. I ran this time 3 times in row and had one run in wich i spun ( switched lanes) and i ran a 8.2.

I was hoping to be in the mid 7's. Could the heat and humidity caused a power loss last thursday or is that about as good s it will get without upping the power. Also could i launch harder or should i stick with the 3000 rpm launch.

Also what kind of power will i need to make to get into the high 6's. Thanks and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on going back thursday night if the thunderstorms hold out. Anyone have any suggestions on things to try?

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be the temp... with pilot sports on 17" SSR's I pulled a 2.0 60' to a 7.9 @ 94.94 and all I have is k&n with straight pipes. I think it was around 60F at night.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
20 psi is to low from what I understand. I would only run as low as 23 psi. Also, make sure your have around 3/4 worth of gas in the tank. This helps keep the back end from sliding.

Rev

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah i had 1/2 - 3/4 tank of gas and ill put a little air back in tge tires. Anymore advice

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Drag radial should be lower psi like 15/18? With 3.55's and 1.7 60' you should be ripping way quicker than my times in the 1/8th. What gear do you cross the line? No problems with shifting or what rpm do you shift at?

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cross the line right at the end of third 2 more mph and id have to shift to 4th. Like i said im hoping the heat and extreme humidity slowed me down. Cause something was causing me to be a little down on power.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you were only down a few mph..the stickier tires and heat will EASILT take away 2-3 mph.