Traction better with non ron flat michelin?

YoungDoc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just how much better is traction with the non runflat michelin's as opposed to the runflats?? Is it worth the change in a supercharged viper? I know you guys are going to say go with kuhmos but between these two tires which ones?? Or are the pirelli's better (the ones that fit our 19" wheels)?

OP
OP
Y

YoungDoc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So they are worth it then? I notice you have a paxton which plans to be my future setup if all goes well.. How do they handle in the rain? Any thoughts on the pirellis that fit our cars? Michelin sport non run flats or pirellis?

OP
OP
Y

YoungDoc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmm on tirerack they are rated worse for traction then the Michelin sport non run flats?? I don't know who to believe

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.garyjavo.com/

Click on this video and tell me what you think

I STILL MANAGED A 10.6 @ 148MPH ON A SLIPPING CLUTCH, LOW BOOST, AND 20"
HRE'S. WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING A TWIN DISK CLUTCH IN THE CAR,
AND WE PLAN ON GOING AFTER THE STREET TIRE WORLD RECORD.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you mean rated for tire wear, not for traction. the rateings on tires for tire wear are given by the manufacturer and there is no set industry standard and for the most part are very subjective, and relative to other tires in there line up and not other companies

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've thought of going with non-run-flats in the rear, for reduced weight (3 lbs. each), but keeping the run-flats up front for the stiffer sidewalls. Has anyone tried this?

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got rear non-run-flat, and fron run flat (just cause I'm waiting for them to wear down before I buy new ones, whicn will be non-run-flats.)

No problems for me running that way.

OP
OP
Y

YoungDoc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NSane1 is there a huge difference between the two as far as straight line traction? what about wet traction?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Guys,

I have tried both. Not much difference. Traction with the non-run flats is only slightly better. Ride comfort is also a little better. When your runflats wear out, I'd replace them with non-run flats. This is what I did. IMHO, don't go and spend the money thinking you will be getting something much better, you won't.

I only run the Pilots when I need too, like in the 90 mile timed road race at the Nevada Open Road Challenge. I need my speedo to be as accurate as possible for timing purposes in that event. Otherwise, it's all 18's for performance purposes.

No good 19's yet. Hopefully soon. Lots of good 18's. Here are a few; Nitto drag radials, Kumho Ecsta V-700's, Toyo Proxes RA1's.

Dan

JimmyCrackcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just how much better is traction with the non runflat michelin's as opposed to the runflats?? Is it worth the change in a supercharged viper? I know you guys are going to say go with kuhmos but between these two tires which ones?? Or are the pirelli's better (the ones that fit our 19" wheels)?

I switched and then switched back, while yes you will get more traction in a straight line, the side wall fles of the non runs is so bad I almost lost control several times, and that was with all tire pressures, none helped the problem all the way up to 50 psi.

OP
OP
Y

YoungDoc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats the first i've heard of such a thing with the non run flats.. alot of guys are running 18" drag radials which have an extremely flexible side wall and haven't complained of problems?? I was wondering at high speeds on radials if the cars rear end doesn't feel stable... I know I felt this on my z06 when I had it... It felt very loose.. is it the same for the vipers?

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper X has good points again. This notion that run flats are crap and that this other tire is 10 times better just isn’t so. All these tires are $300+ tires, none of them are crap. They are all the best of every manufacturer, they are all very close. I have run flats, non run flats, Michelin sport cups, Kumho’s, Michelin slicks and Hoosiers. I would rate them in the order I listed but there is no night and day difference. Though I have never tried the Pirelli’s on a Viper, I suspect there are right in there with the sport cups and Kumho’s. Each one is slightly better than the previous one. I think people have the expectation that a new tire is going to turn them into this incredible driver. It’s the crappy tire that is the reason they are so slow or can’t get traction. I should know, that’s what I used to think, till I bought a half dozen different tires and realized it wasn’t the bow but the Indian.

Put yourself in the company of a good driver and watch what crappy tires can do, talk about humbling. It’s not about the tires, it’s about the driving. To say run flats are crap? A good driver would say “they don’t have as much grip as the Kumho’s but they are very predictable and fun to run. There are a handful of drivers at Viper days are posting some very completive times running stock tires so, where the argument? Bob Woodhouse is on radials, I am on slicks and he is beating me around every corner, it ain’t the f-cken tires.

At a 3 day track event, I will run the street tires the first day and then switch to the slicks mid way through the second day. It gives you a chance to get a very good comparison. Yes, there is a difference in the grip but not enough to overcome bad driving. They don’t have spikes on them, they are not on rails, and you still need smooth steering, braking and acceleration. You should be comfortable spinning and sliding your car around before you are ready to move up in tires. The warning before a tire breaks lose gets short and shorter as you go up in tire. If you want grippier tires because you keep spinning your and you feel out of control, then don’t go up!! That just means you need more practice on your tires.

Here is a way to earn new tires. Find a big parking lot and spin. Do a bunch of figure 8’s burning out the entire time. Go do a bunch 35 MPH arcing, sliding, spinning turns. By the time you’re done, you know what the tires can do and they should be pretty wasted, so go buy your next set.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey ViperGMC, I could not have said it any better! Do the make the Cup tires in the OEM size? If not whamodel number, size and brand wheels are you running and what zise tires?I have not seen them on Tire Rack. Do you have a link?

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey ViperGMC, I could not have said it any better! Do the make the Cup tires in the OEM size? If not whamodel number, size and brand wheels are you running and what zise tires?I have not seen them on Tire Rack. Do you have a link?

No they don't make the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in OEM size.
Looking at his sig, I guess ViperGMC is using 18" HRE wheels with Michelin Sport Cups 295/30-18 front, 345/30-18 rear.

And here's your link to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup's official site.
http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinPilotSportCup.html?tiretype=3&tire=0

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperGMC nailed it. I ran streets for years and didn't move to slicks until I felt I couldn't get any more out of a street tire. You really get the most out of yourself when you're trying to stay in front of a fresh set of Kumhos while you're running streets that have been cycled more times than a load of laundry.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Insomniac, Are thoses tire sizes the proper sizes for a stock 2003 srt-10 viper? Does this give the car the proper stagger like the stock sizes? What about the wheel size, what is it and what is the part number? Does anyone know if you can leave the pressure sensors out of the wheels or does it screw up the computer?

Thanks,
Robbie