Traction issues

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys do to get traction on the street?I have the original tires on the car with about 7k miles(65% tread left)and cannot even get full throttle in first gear.If I granny shift second it still lights the tires up.The car dynod 417 stock and now has a VEC and Tubes/filters.What do you S/C guys do? Could the rubber be harder since the tires are 5 years old?
Please help.TIA,

Joe

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple answer GET NEW TIRES
laugh.gif
My 97 had original tires when I bought it last year and I was in the same predicament as you. Couldn't even go WOT in 1st no matter how softly I got into it. Replaced tires and what a difference, night & day. Stops a hole lot better, plus tires didn't break loose in 1st.

Edit: Regular Pilot Sports were the new tires

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you guys are saying the Mxx3's arent the tires to go with? What brand should I run? Ill order them tomorrow.

Joe

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MXX3 was discontinued some time ago (1-2 years??) the track guys like them (Chuck) because they make better track tires than the pilot sports do. Yours **** because they are old and hard not because they are MXX3's Order some from partsrack.com or tirerack.com I got a set through Sears they were cheaper and I didn't have he hassle transporting them to a tire shop for mounting. Michelin pilot sports are what you need there are two type out now (I think) one for rain and one for better dry traction.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a traction problem with my car for a short time. Doug Levin told me to try a new set of tires. I was hesitant because my old ones had plenty of tread left. Well, to my surprise the new tires HOOK DEAD! Go for new!

Chuck