Trailering the SRT

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been lots of questions from people wondering whether the cars will fit on a trailer, or a 4 post lift. Answer? No problem. My trailer deck is 81.5" wide, and the fender tops are 9.5" above the deck. Plenty of clearance for the sills and the doors. An added bonus is that the fascia doesn't scrape while loading.

You must be registered for see images

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great looking place Dean. I know you have misgivings about the SRT but I think 2 Vipers would look good in your garage. This picture almost looks like a going away picture for the SRT.

OP
OP
GTS Dean

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a going-away pic. I'm back down to 2 Vipers again. That huge hole in the side is just fundamentally WRONG and it didn't grow on me.

IMO, the '96 GTS is THE quintessential VIPER. 7 years old - *still* a major head turner and a major hoot to drive too. It gives me a hard-on every time I get behind the wheel.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, looks like there is a couple inches of room or more on that trailer to accommodate the rear wheel track width vs. my kwikload. I thought they were all the same.

OP
OP
GTS Dean

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the Sloans are pretty much the same, but mine's one of a kind. I designed and built that trailer myself after seeing a Kwikload work. The box on the front is a cut-down sleeper cab off an 18 wheeler.

There probably isn't 1/2" difference in the outside tire width between the Gen1-2 and SRT. Put some negative camber in the back and they get wide quick.

287SRT-GTS_3-med.jpg

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dean, I dont want to shoplift the thread, but I'm in the process of building a garage with a 13' ceiling. Is this tall enough for a 4 post lift and do you prefer a 4 post over the scissors type with the supports between the tires?

OP
OP
GTS Dean

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

13' is plenty high. You can even open your hood and raise the car near the top of the limits. The legs on my lift are just under 7' tall, but that side of my garage is 16' to the ceiling.

Each type of lift has its own relative strengths and weaknesses. For suspension and bodywork, the scissor and twin post are probably the best bet. For undercar maintenance and 2 car stacking, the 4 post is best. A twin post is next, but stacking vehicles is usually not recommended. If you have a jack bridge, the 4 post becomes quite satisfactory for suspension work. Personally, I would stay away from the scissor type lift because it limits tranny access and floor space, but that's just my opinion. For production mechanic work, you can't beat the twin post. However, they require the most headroom and foundation work of all.

2874post-2.jpg

Reaction score
Dean, is that a PerfectPark lift? What is the BARE MINIMUN ceiling height some of us poor people can get away with? :)

I don't have all the details, but I am working on a group buy with Lifts Unlimited (Mitch) www.liftsunlimited.com for the PerfectPark, like right around $3K delivered, with drio trays and sliding jack bridge.

Sadly, I have 8'6" of ceiling height and I think it might be too close. Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960