trans fluid

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K. Did a search and read posts for about 2 hrs and still didn't see what I was looking for. A while back I remember a post about switching trans. fluid to make the trans. a little easier to shift. It said to use something instead of what DC puts in there.
I'm working on a 98 GTS btw. Shifts worse than a truck. Has a B&M shifter in it, also had Heffner rebuild on 5-05.
Ant ideas?
TIA
SNAKE :2tu:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mopar's (actually a Castrol product) Synthetic Manual Transmission Lube 75W/85 became the factory fill starting in 1999. It was recommended (per TSB) for NGR (neutral gear rattle) seen in earlier Vipers...with the stipulation that it could be used in 1994-1998 Vipers instead of the Dexton IIe or III ATF that came in the earlier models.

This MAY NOT solve YOUR problem...in fact, when cold the new stuff makes shifting harder til fluid warms up.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read a few threads where non-Mopar trans fluid caused major problems for some people. Redline tranny fluid is a big NO-NO! It seems to have caused a lot of problems for people. I have Mopar ATF +4 in mine with no problem. It was recommended by Tom Sessions

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using Amsoil manual tranny (75w90) oil with good result. But any good quality Manual tranny oil is good.
I prefer to use a little thicker oil.

NEVER use regular 75w-90 gear oil !
It also causes very hard shifting.

It is very important to set the fluid level right.

Too much oil will cause hard shifting.

Not enough oil will cause the tranny to overheat and burn the sync rings.

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about Mobil-1 gear oil 75w-90? For the rear end and gearbox trans.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar's (actually a Castrol product) Synthetic Manual Transmission Lube 75W/85 became the factory fill starting in 1999. It was recommended (per TSB) for NGR (neutral gear rattle) seen in earlier Vipers...with the stipulation that it could be used in 1994-1998 Vipers instead of the Dexton IIe or III ATF that came in the earlier models.

This MAY NOT solve YOUR problem...in fact, when cold the new stuff makes shifting harder til fluid warms up.

This helped my NGR on my 97 GTS.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Mobil 1 75/90 synthetic.
It was obtainable thru "normal" channels, and its probably more important to change the oil regularly than to fret the brand so much.

OP
OP
SNKEBIT

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sticker below the fill hole says to use Castrol Syntec LT. The local dodge dealer I buy parts from doesn't even recognise that brand in all of the literature he can find from DC. I would wonder if he knew nothing about vipers but he helps find almost everything I'm looking for in previous dealings. His "books" and all bullitens say to use Mopar Dexron III in all t-56 trans. for vipers.
So, if a mopar dealer can't find this castrol crap, what the hell is it?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't it Castrol Syntorq (not Syntec) LT 75W/85W? But that would be a thicker fluid and is the same things as what DC uses. You were asking for something that makes it easier to shift?

You could also consider the synthetic manual transmission fluid that GM puts in T-56s. Appropriately called Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid, I believe.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
MOPAR Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85...part number is 04874459 ...(MS 9070)

I'm NOT SURE that your problem isn't mechanical, however.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom, you are correct sir.
Me, I use Motul in the engine, tranny & diff. But then again, I only road race the car. O.K. approx. 100 miles on the street a year.
From past experience, the Redline MTL will make it easier to shift when cold, but harder when hot ie. raod racing.
The Motul is the best I have ever used and I tried them all over the years. End of season analysis last year indicated the oil could have stayed in. The hotter you get it, the easier it shifts.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amsoil Series 2000. Changed it this spring after 38,400 miles. It still had lots of life left according to the analysis report. That lube saw about 6-7 road track events, maybe 20 autocrosses, and about a dozen 1/4 miles over the almost 4 years it was in there. I have a MGW short shifter which prior to getting rid of the Castrol would almost burn your hand in extremely hot weather. It is definitely cooler to the touch with the Amsoil.

Steve

G

grcforce327

O.K. Did a search and read posts for about 2 hrs and still didn't see what I was looking for. A while back I remember a post about switching trans. fluid to make the trans. a little easier to shift. It said to use something instead of what DC puts in there.
I'm working on a 98 GTS btw. Shifts worse than a truck. Has a B&M shifter in it, also had Heffner rebuild on 5-05.
Ant ideas?
TIA
SNAKE :2tu:

I'm using Redline synthetic trans fluid. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang