transient steering vibration near 100 mph

rghiselli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While driving on a highway, I noticed a vibration felt through the steering wheel between 90-100 mph. I interpreted it as originating from the front wheels. It disappeared above that speed? Is this common? Something to fix?
Thanks.
Bob G

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is this a 1992 or a 2010? Miles? Mods?

Could be as simple as a stone in a tire tread, or a track-marble on the interior of a wheel.
A slight, age-induced imbalance or a sidewall fault. Or a brake-rotor issue. or even a crank-damper.

Examine the front tires and wheels and front wheel bearings (miles matter)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did the exact thing at 80mph. Exactly at 80...not 79 or 81...just right at 80. Bugged the piss out of me. Turned out to be the 4 yrs old OEM tires.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front tires are flat-spotted.

Has the car been sitting for a while?? I re-balanced and fixed a bent rim on mine this past weekend(after a mishap on the way to VOI) and noticed quite a significant flat spot from sitting for only 2 weeks! Last year my car set for 8 weeks without moving it. Not good on the ole' tires. Anywho, I guess what I'm trying to say is, either put extra air in the tires or roll it every 4-5 days to avoid aforementioned "flat-spotting". Any other suggestions? carpet under the tires?

OP
OP
R

rghiselli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The car is a 2000 RT/10 with 19K miles. Tires were made in '02. Yes it was sitting for a couple weeks before driving. The car was driven a couple hours on the highway at legal posted speeds before attempting the higher speed where the vibration occurred.

Panzer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do like my brother dose to his BMW in the winter, put it up on jacks on the frame. XD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32