Transmission "Chatter" on '08...

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't waste the dealers time. I guess none of you that are concerned about the noise have ever driven a car with a high performance twin disc clutch before. They all rattle a little in neutral. It is not the transmission.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 08 with 750 miles and I have the same exact issue. The noise is only heard while in neutral when the car has been driven for a while. I do not hear a noise when I start the car initially before it is warmed up. I was planning to take it to the dealer to be checked prior to seeing this post.

Color- coupe-vert -location?

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same noise, just started after 3000 miles. It sounds something like the throw-out bearing is going out.

Last edited:

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of people say this chatter is present after several hundred/thousand miles. If this is the nature of the tranny/clutch then why is it not present from the start with new 08s? Is this due to different break-ins? Is the chatter not there initially because the tranny/clutch is not broken in? I do not have this chatter yet but I assume it will eventually be there.

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The noise is neutral gear rattle and it increases with temp as the transmission internal clearances expand. The ATF requirement of the 6060 and the increased inertia of the larger gears has made the noise more noticiable.
From the description of the noise it is not related to the clutch or release bearing.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The noise is neutral gear rattle and it increases with temp as the transmission internal clearances expand. The ATF requirement of the 6060 and the increased inertia of the larger gears has made the noise more noticiable.
From the description of the noise it is not related to the clutch or release bearing.

My 08 does not have this noise YET, even when hot. Almost everyone else said theirs started after several hundred/thousand miles. There must be more to this.:dunno:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has started to make this noise. Has 3800 mile son her. A very noticeable chatter when the car is in neutral. As soon as the clutch is depressed the noise goes away instantly. Glad I found this thread. :)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR TRANSMISSIONS-------------------- ENOUGH--- NO MORE TALK!!!!!!!:rolleyes: