Transmission "Chatter" on '08...

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After driving my '08 this weekend several times, I've noticed a "chatter" coming from the transmission (when in neutral). This is the best term I can think of to describe it, and it's quite audible. In fact, even my father (who isn't a car guy), who rode with me this weekend, noticed it. When I depress the clutch, it goes away instantly. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance,
-Justyn

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

No, it's not a rattle at all (which I do miss by the way). It's simply a chattering sound coming from the transmission itself.

Reaction score
The 08' transmission is much more heavy duty than the previous generation. This bigger gears and syncros have increased the NGR. There is nothing wrong with yours it is just a trait of the new tranny.

OP
OP
S

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

I had a feeling that was the case, thanks. I just haven't experienced that type of sound with any of my previous Generation 3's..

Thanks!

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After driving my '08 this weekend several times, I've noticed a "chatter" coming from the transmission (when it neutral).

This should be the throwout bearing you are hearing, and it's normal. This was also common on certain years' TTC T56 transmissions - I have two cars w. a T56 that do this. I haven't driven my '08 much to notice this yet on the TR6060.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
NGR will be back on the 08's due to the change away from Castrol Syntorq back to ATF+4. The Syntorqe was the original "fix" for NGR at the cost of a little more effort in shifting. It likely will not be as bad as the early cars however, as the 08 engine surely idles smoother.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
NGR is bad in my 01, gone in my 04 & 06.

So it's back in the 08?

Could he be hearing a throw out bearing noise???

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this noise on an 08. It sounds like a throw out bearing. I figured its normal since the car is new, but it makes the car sound bad. Maybe some insulation under the boot will help.

I also have driveline clunk on loading/unloading the drive train. Mark at Woodhouse says this is normal.

Gene's98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this noise on an 08. It sounds like a throw out bearing. I figured its normal since the car is new, but it makes the car sound bad. Maybe some insulation under the boot will help.

I also have driveline clunk on loading/unloading the drive train. Mark at Woodhouse says this is normal.
I have an 08 ACR with about 1000 miles on it and the neutral gear rattle and clunk on gear engagement just started - from the posts its sounds like this may be normal, but should I have it checked before going on track?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 08 ACR with about 1000 miles on it and the neutral gear rattle and clunk on gear engagement just started - from the posts its sounds like this may be normal, but should I have it checked before going on track?

yes pull the tranny,completely dissasemble,spread parts all over the floor to inspect,let sit for 2 days,then slap er back in there(no dont do it-just jokin):D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Definitely an exhaust system problem. And an idling problem. Add headers and idle less!

Seriously: VCA members have access to GRAILKEEPER thread. I would post this question there, and Herb will ask his drive-train guy for an opinion.

ATF is 'watery', and thicker synthetic tranny fluid calms this, but makes shifts a bit stiffer.

And there is always the chance that a lose tranny or motor mount has happened if it has been getting worse....

Gary Weeks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Throw-out bearing; nothing to worry about.

Ive got the same issues. Throw out bearing.

If it was the throw-out bearing you would hear it when you pressed the clutch pedal in. The throw-out bearing is only under load when the clutch is disengaged. It's just the backlash in the gears that you are hearing beacuse of the thin ATF in the transmission. That's why you only hear it in neautral with the clutch engaged.

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is the clutch and it is normal in a high pref clutch. If you don't want to hear the rattles, just hold the clutch in. It's not a cadillac.

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throwout bearing, transmission, and now clutch. Is there a certified Viper technician on this forum who can give us a definitive answer as to what is really making the noise?

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Throwout bearing, transmission, and now clutch. Is there a certified Viper technician on this forum who can give us a definitive answer as to what is really making the noise?

I'm not a "Viper Tech" but I sure as hell know what the sound is. It's the clutch and it's normal, if you just can't stand the sound push the pedal in while you are in neutral and listen to it go away.

Remember he said he is in NEUTRAL, so the gears aren't moving. It's not a transmission noise and fancy fluid is not going to "fix" it.

Last edited:

Gary Weeks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not a "Viper Tech" but I sure as hell know what the sound is. It's the clutch and it's normal, if you just can't stand the sound push the pedal in while you are in neutral and listen to it go away.

Remember he said he is in NEUTRAL, so the gears aren't moving. It's not a transmission noise and fancy fluid is not going to "fix" it.

When the clutch is not depressed the gears are turning in the tranny in NEUTRAL. If you don't thinks so just try putting it in gear without using the clutch!! The noise you hear is the gear lash. It's caused by the uneven idle of the engine.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan Cragin listened to mine last week, says it's normal. don't hear it all the time.

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 08 with 750 miles and I have the same exact issue. The noise is only heard while in neutral when the car has been driven for a while. I do not hear a noise when I start the car initially before it is warmed up. I was planning to take it to the dealer to be checked prior to seeing this post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21