Trickle Charger

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Viper. Do I need to hook my trickle charger up directly to my battery in the trunk (such a PIA)? Can I connect to the charger to the remote battery connect under the hood, with the ground going to the alternator (as described in the manual). Thank you in advance for your help on this one.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bookie, yes that will work under the hood, the connection points are correct. If you have a battery tender "Plus" it came with a pigtail set. Install that, then you can plug-in, the connection points at the diffuser. Folks with 4 post lifts do it that way as it's hard to open the hood.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your charger came with an O-ring set as well as clamps, I would just wire it to the battery. 10 minutes tops with a cordless drill.

1) Open trunk
2) Peel back carpet(if equipped)
3) Remove absurdly long torx bolts
4) Lift battery cover
5) Remove nut on positive terminal
6) Install red O-ring on stud
7) Reinstall nut
8) Remove nut on negative terminal
9) Install black O-ring on stud
10) Reinstall nut
11) Complete steps 1 thru 4 in reverse

When the pigtail kit is installed, whenever the car is parked, all you have to do is reach inside the rear diffuser, pull the connector out and attach.
This way, there are no cords laying on the paint of the front bumper or fenders.

I know the steps laid out are comically simple. But that's the point. It really is that simple. Even a caveman could do it.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Ctek trickle charger pigtail wired in at the jumper post and routed behind the computer shield panel in the engine bay.You can plug it in without lifting the clamshell .:2tu:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also connect it under the hood and run the pig tail out the side engine hot air vent in the fender.

Hook positive up to the positive terminal provided and ground it where ever you wish. (Check with meter to locate one of the many grounded bolts.)

Also a 10 minute job unless pig tail is too short and requires being extended.

These battery tenders are great to keep a seldom used car all charged up and ready to go at a moments notice.

Be sure to have a system set up to remind you to unplug before you drive away.

I use a yellow sticky note on the steering wheel horn.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also connect it under the hood and run the pig tail out the side engine hot air vent in the fender.

Hook positive up to the positive terminal provided and ground it where ever you wish. (Check with meter to locate one of the many grounded bolts.)

Also a 10 minute job unless pig tail is too short and requires being extended.

These battery tenders are great to keep a seldom used car all charged up and ready to go at a moments notice.

Be sure to have a system set up to remind you to unplug before you drive away.

I use a yellow sticky note on the steering wheel horn.

If I back the car in, so I can drive straight out of the garage, I have the connection made ever-so-lightly, so if I forget, it just unplugs.

Don't ask me how I know if it works.........;)

MikeT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I snake my battery tender cables right through the rear bumper, directly to the terminals. Slide one shoulder under the car, and clip them on- it's a piece of cake! :)

Mike

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't you have to use the power port under the console cover?

i have an 02 r/t (no power port)

i only plug mine in when i know i won't drive the car for a few days (or haven't driven it in a few days - usually about 5 days).

have been doing this for the past couple of years, and never had a battery problem and very easy to attach/remove.

also, never have driven off with it still attached as i see it easily

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a piece of PVC pipe and painted it black. It is bolted to the drivers side in the fender opening. Very easy to connect the trickle charger and place the threaded cap on for protection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235