Troubleshooting triva....... how would you fix it?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all of you tech heads and triva buffs. Here's a problem I had today, your job is to guess how to fix it (I fixed it already). The first ever "Viper Triva" if you want to call it that. Here's the situation. 1996 Gts, 11k miles, has headers, cone filters, cat-back. I go to get into the car and I can't get the keyless door to pop. I had the windows down so I reached into the car and opened it manually. I put the key into the ignition and everything is fine. I turn the car over and it runs for 2 seconds and cuts off. Just prior to all of this, I backed the car up on a hill. I did this by putting my foot on the clutch petal and having the car roll down hill with the door open. The car was not running at this time. Checked the hood button for the alarm, no problem. Checked the back glass latch for the alarm, no problem. Press the keyless entry (lock or unlock) and nothing. So, the $64,000 question is.... what was wrong with my snake............

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good one, don't know. You probably had to reset the remote alarm key to the cars alarm. Did I win? Your really going to give away 64 grand for the answer? WOW
embarass.gif

Reaction score
Open the glove box and turn the power off and on, with the ign. key, start. Or set the alarm then turn it off, start. Re-sync the key Fob and repeat the above. Call your Viper tech.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is that the alarm "thought" it was set, since you moved the car without running the engine. So, when the engine was started, it only ran until it ran out of fuel..as the fuel pump was not operating thanks to the alarm. this would also explain why the doors would no open from the outside? Oh, and Fred,no key in the glovebox for the alarm on a '96.

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another wierd thing was that when I opened the door, the alarm wouldn't go off...... even when the computer thought that the alarm was on (Cutting the fuel off)..........

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would disconnect the battery...wait a minute..then hook it back up. When the cable is reattached, the alarm will sound...just turn it off with the keyfob. This should reset the system.

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to do the same thing last night. I figured if I reset the computer that it would all work out. So I go to the remote terminal but I couldn't turn the nut because it was on too tight. So I decide to go for the battery. I take the cover off (With the wheel still on) and find that the positive terminal hookup is BARELY on. I took it off by turning it by HAND about ONE revolution. Later, I figured that this ultimately caused the origianl problem. I left it off for a minute and put it back on tightly and it fixed the problem. I think this type of topic is GREAT for all of us who own a Viper. I think posts like this will help all of us understand how to troubleshoot and fix small problems ourselves. Anyone else have a problem they solved that you would like to contribute?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred(DrivingSchool)Kinder:
Open the glove box and turn the power off and on, with the ign. key, start. Or set the alarm then turn it off, start. Re-sync the key Fob and repeat the above. Call your Viper tech.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PTHBBBBBBBB The Year Matters.......
That may work for 1998+......not for his '96 GTS. No alarm shutoff.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveb:
So I go to the remote terminal but I couldn't turn the nut because it was on too tight. So I decide to go for the battery. I take the cover off (With the wheel still on) and find that the positive terminal hookup is BARELY on. .........I think this type of topic is GREAT for all of us who own a Viper. I think posts like this will help all of us understand how to troubleshoot and fix small problems ourselves..........<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Th eleventy-eighteenth battery maintenance problem.

STEVE: there USED to be a topic here, "Stump The Viper Gurus" that had 4-5 regulars answering just such questions. It was 98% immune from SMACK and for one, I MISS THAT SECTION! Why did it go away? One loss is that Dan Gragin used to come daily! Rumor is, some were "offended" that others were considered Gurus! Fact is, even a NOVICE-NEWBEE can post a fast, correct, or even NEW solution to a problem.

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a new guy on the block, I didn't know of such a topic area. I think if people keep it simple and it doesn't get overly complicated, everyone would benefit.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's another reset method.

1. Put the key in the ignition in the OFF position
2. Cycle it from OFF - ACC - OFF 4 times.
3. Close and open driver door. It should beep.
4. Close and open passenger door. It should beep.
5. Close and open hatch door. It should beep.
6. Close and open hood. It should beep.
7. Depress locak and unlock buttons on the key fob till you hear 3 beeps.
8. The system is reset.

-Avi
97 GTS

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And another reset method:

Use the DRBIII to reprogram the alarm module in the driver's footwell (Gen2).

A few years back, my wife and I made an anniversary trip to Italy for 10 days. I did not set the alarm, but the battery was dead when I got back. I then charged it fully, but the security system had engaged itself and wouldn't allow the car to run. I tried resynching the key fobs, but to no avail. I got one of the Viper techs from the local dealer to come by with the DRB and even THAT didn't cure the problem. We wound up having to install a new alarm module and sync the fobs to it.

It was an agonizing week after I got back of waiting for my car to run!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I'm with you Jon. Stump the Viper Guru's was my favorite too. Let's get it back!</FONT f>

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My newly acquired 96 GTS (Bad Viper) did the exact same thing.

I disconnected the batter for about 12 hours, reconnected it, and the alarm was disarmed.

The key FOB did not work, however, the car worked fine.

One note, the alarm was being diagnosed by a ViperTech and it would not "arm" because of a fault in the rear hatch switch.

Sooooo, although mine "failed" like this one, my system was already "not arming." (And yes, mine would not sound the alarm when I manually entered it.)

Also, I think it is possible to install the 2000 glovebox key disarm in earlier models. This needs to be checked out. It looks like the wiring is the same except for this option.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth