Trunk Latch Question on 06' Coupe

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I unlock the rear trunk lid with the remote and try to open the trunk lid, it seems to be stuck. I see the lights flash 3 times and the trunk lid release, but when I pull to open it, it seems stuck. So I press the trunk release button on the remote again and then it usually opens as I'm pulling up on the lid. Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about the coupe, but the vert has two rubber stops, one on each side of the latch, that are adjustable. Unscrew those stops a little at a time, then try the trunk latch again. You will be able to hear the trunk release when it's adjusted properly.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I unlock the rear trunk lid with the remote and try to open the trunk lid, it seems to be stuck. I see the lights flash 3 times and the trunk lid release, but when I pull to open it, it seems stuck. So I press the trunk release button on the remote again and then it usually opens as I'm pulling up on the lid. Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

It's normal. If one of the doors is open, it won't happen. Try it.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine's the same.

It's like it doesn't pop open far enough to clear the latch, but it's NOT completely shut either.

Anymore I just go to the back of the car and start to lift with one hand while simultaneously(sp?) pushing the release button on my remote.:)

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears that they are all about the same, and it looks like everyone is doing the same things to resolve, window or door open, lift while hitting the button, hit the button a second time....they all work. Mine is the same as well

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MINE DOES IT TOO.. Its a defect. Because mine was working fine for months, and now its not. Thats not how its meant to work. I compared it to Dads 05 and his is a LOT smoother and doesnt get caught up. This is definitely either a supplier issue (as the coupes latches are different then the convertibles) or a manufacturing defect.

This is one of the many issues I have with my 06, along with windows that dont go down quick enough when your opening the door, so that they catch on the coupes hard top when opening the door.

No one should accept that this is just the way it is. They need to replace these defective trunk popers. It was working perfectly for 5 months, and then started doing this crap where it takes 2 pops to open it, and the 2nd pop, you have to be pulling up on the trunk lid.

Nice quality dodge... grrrrrrrrrrr...

Jon

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My latch seems to have the same behavior as well, but only on an intermittent basis.

On a side note, does anyone else have the hatch lock cylinder rattling when driving? The tab that runs through the cylinder is vibrating against the housing and driving me insane. I'm thinking a decent piece of automotive foam ought to take care of it, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has found a better solution.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine just started doing it. It was fine for the first 8 months of ownership. Although when I took delivery, the latch was stuck open and I took it all apart to unstick the latch and when I put it back together I thought maybe I did not line it up properly.

I guess alot of them do this.

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the coupe NOT have rubber stops that are adjustable, ie, threaded like the vert?

OP
OP
V

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does the coupe NOT have rubber stops that are adjustable, ie, threaded like the vert?
The Coupe does have the adjustable,screw in/out rubber stops on both sides of the latch on the trunklid side. I'm going to try to adjust them a little at a time tonight by unscrewing them and seeing if this pops the trunk lid open any better. If it does, I'll post the fix on this thread.

OP
OP
V

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tried adjusting the rubber stops and it didn't work.

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess I lucked out. On my vert, the latch would open (silently) but the trunk had to be lifted simultaneously with engagement of the switch. Upon adjusting the rubber stops outward, the trunk now pops free of the latch (audibly) and can be lifted after engaging the remote. Granted, it does not pop open like luxury sedans, but I don't think it was designed for that.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried adjusting the rubber stops and it didn't work.

I didnt try it on my coupe, because I ****** around with the ones on my 04 vert to the point where it would barely close.:shocked:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My latch seems to have the same behavior as well, but only on an intermittent basis.

On a side note, does anyone else have the hatch lock cylinder rattling when driving? The tab that runs through the cylinder is vibrating against the housing and driving me insane. I'm thinking a decent piece of automotive foam ought to take care of it, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has found a better solution.

Is that what that freakin rattle is....I am goimg to check mine today

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 03 trunk lid had stopped opening when I pressed the fob release. When I was in to the dealer for service I asked them to take a look and it has worked perfectly for over 9 months now. Did not ask what the fix was, maybe they just adjusted the rubber stops to provide a little more opening pressure.

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 03 the trunk popping open when I pressed the release on the key fob. I would have to pull up on the trunk while pressing the release. When I was at the dealer for service I asked them to take a look at the trunk mechanism and whatever they did fixed the problem and it has worked properly for 9 months now. Maybe they just adjusted the rubber stops to provide more upward force.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont suppose anyone could direct Dodge to this, its obviously not an isolated incident, looks like the coupes have some faulty truck release mechanisms/latches.

Recall might be in order.

Jon

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will be happy to know that Dodge is listening, since this is one of the biggest complaints about the fit and finish of the cars, they are changing the style of the trunk / hatch release. They are going to a membrane style release, where once you unlock the car, you touch the membrane where you normally would lift the lid from anyway, and it releases.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this mean they will replace my latch when I take my car in for an ABS light later next month. My rear latch is also doing this and I have to push the fob and lift at the same time.

I feel like I am 10 years old and my Dad is in the car opening and closing the damn locks while I try to see if I can time it so I can open the damn door to get into the car before he locks it again. Sure all Dad's have done that at one time or the other.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this mean they will replace my latch when I take my car in for an ABS light later next month. My rear latch is also doing this and I have to push the fob and lift at the same time.

I wouldn't count on it....how would they ever get you to buy a new one if they keep upgrading your old one;)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I could care less that they are fixing future cars. I'd prefer they fix the one I bought. Its really Sheety that dodge would have an issue like this with its LONGEST standing vechicle line. I was asking if they were going to fix OUR cars, not fix future ones.

I'll stop by my dealership some time soon, and see what "fix" dodge has instore for this.

Still dissapointed in the fit and finish of my 06. Love it to death, but my gen 2 was better put together then my 06.. and thats sad.

Jon

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys still playing with this? The answer is right in front of you.......adjust the dang bump stops!!!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JB;

I looked at mine and have played around adjusting the bump stops but that is not the problem. There is a huge delay from when I push the truck lid button on the key fob and when it actually releases. When it triggers the release, it also is slow and weak sounding. Almost like it is not getting enough power or something.

Bottomline is there is something wrong with the release. But enough whinning. That is what I have warranty for.

OP
OP
V

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys still playing with this? The answer is right in front of you.......adjust the dang bump stops!!!
I tried adjusting the rubber screw stops out and it didn't work. I adjusted them out and then the trunklid really had to be slammed in order to shut. I was hoping it would create a little more force to help push the trunklid upward when unlocked but it didnt work. Maybe I'll ask The Wizard to have a look at it when he does my exhaust and air filters. :2tu:

Reaction score
I am sorry to dredge this thread up but I have fixed a couple of these on the coups by adjusting the small spring loaded cadium plated arm that pushes up on the latch when the trunck is released. If you carefully grab the arm inside the channel with a plyers or even a small Cresent wrench and bend it down just a bit it will push the hatch up farther on release and your problem will be solved!

If I had the right to post pictures I could show you exactly what you need but since I am not an owner that will never happen! :)

Mark Jorgensen

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mark,

Email them to me, and I'll post them.

My local dealership actually REPLACED mine, and the NEW one is doing the EXACT same thing as the old one. This is obviously a problem, but if you have a good fix-it yourself trick, show me and I'll take care of mine.

I do know exactly what arm your talking about, but I might as well post the photos for you, so that others can see it too.

Thanks,

Jon ([email protected])

Reaction score
They are on the way Jon, just remember not to go too far. The last picture shows about where it should be for the best results.

Thanks,

Mark Jorgensen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang