tunning 08

Reaction score
The SRT guys are aware of some of your dislikes with the 08' and I have also been talking with them about this. I'm confident they will try and do something to help this if possible. Each car in 08' was a little different and I would not be totally afraid if at all with this purchase especially when you can get such a GREAT deal on them right now. The money that would be saved would get you the PCM, Headers ... and all your worries would be null and void with the new beast!

Makes PERFECT sense to me anyways and if I had that kind of money (or someone that cared about my overall happiness ;)) I would snap one up for myself and trick it out with all the toys AND the MOTONS to have total auto enjoyment at a unbelievable price. :headbang:

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love my 08 and wouldn't trade it for anything, ANYTHING!! It would just be nice to get the hesitation problem solved without having to pay $2K for the new computer which might void my warranty and probably wouldn't pass the smog test in Ca?

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The money that would be saved would get you the PCM, Headers ... and all your worries would be null and void with the new beast!

But my warranty MIGHT be null and void and that worries me. We need a TSB/fix for the throttle response issue. Keep on pushing for that Mark... Much appreciated.:2tu:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, if there is any point that would drive it home, it is this: SRT has countless owner's that understand the nuances of owning a Viper. It can be hot, it can be rough, it can be loud, whatever. We still LOVE our Viper's. When ever anyone complains about the 08 Viper, it is the one thing that SRT has the capability to address with a TSB, and that is throttle modulation/response. Send that message to them for me, thanks :D

Reaction score
Mark, if there is any point that would drive it home, it is this: SRT has countless owner's that understand the nuances of owning a Viper. It can be hot, it can be rough, it can be loud, whatever. We still LOVE our Viper's. When ever anyone complains about the 08 Viper, it is the one thing that SRT has the capability to address with a TSB, and that is throttle modulation/response. Send that message to them for me, thanks :D

I have been keeping them in the loop about this thread so the Email I just sent will push it home more. I know that whatever they may be doing will take some time because it has to all be re certified for emissions. That may be the real stumbling block right now as cost for this is high I'm sure.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been keeping them in the loop about this thread so the Email I just sent will push it home more. I know that whatever they may be doing will take some time because it has to all be re certified for emissions. That may be the real stumbling block right now as cost for this is high I'm sure.
I thought I read somewhere that the throttle response issue was addressed in the 09s. Not sure where I read that but maybe it was just a rumor. Can you confirm?

Thanks!

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had heard that also. "When the 09's come out they won't have this problem and all we will need is a 09 flash". ?????

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,
I think the curves look better with the Mopar PCM, but at $2K in this current economy, very nominal power gains and the fact that the warranty is voided doesn't seem like a good deal in the end.

What is the status of emissions with the new PCM, would we pass a sniffer?

As you know I am all in when it comes to mods.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I going crazy or was there a reply from Mark about the Mopar ECU ignoring the rear O2 sensors? I asked if this would impact DEQ "plug-in" type emissions testing (not sniffer or end of pipe testing). If so, is there a reason it was deleted? Thanks to our moderators for any clarification.

/Rich

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that the throttle response issue was addressed in the 09s. Not sure where I read that but maybe it was just a rumor. Can you confirm?

Thanks!

Man you would think I could find something better to do at 1AM on a Saturday morning but here goes... Even though they have changed a couple items in the 09's to improve the response the change has to be approved for the 08' cars. They cannot just flash it in without having it approved.

I had heard that also. "When the 09's come out they won't have this problem and all we will need is a 09 flash". ?????

Mark,
I think the curves look better with the Mopar PCM, but at $2K in this current economy, very nominal power gains and the fact that the warranty is voided doesn't seem like a good deal in the end.

I have been trying to get a price locked down but cannot find out yet. I have let them know that I think the price should be reasonable based on the current state if they want to sell any. I would rather see them sell a ton of them also than just a couple because the price is out of line.

What is the status of emissions with the new PCM, would we pass a sniffer?

I don't have that answer for sure but generally if the A/F ratios are better optimized the sniffer should be more than happy. The cars with the Belanger exhaust "usually" have no issues passing a sniff test.

As you know I am all in when it comes to mods.

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for those out there in question, not all 08's act as discussed in this thread (hesitation problem). My 08 with 4k miles runs extremely well, yes I had the dreaded cam sensor issue,hesitation (lack of throttle response)none what so ever after break-in.

Ok,I'm off my rant now....

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if the Mopar ECU is a closed system that doesn't come with tuning software for further optimization with various aftermarket add-ons, then what equipments was this ECU optimsed for?
-Mopar headers and exhaust with no cats
-Mopar headers and exhaust with race cats
-other headers and exhaust
-oem exhaust system
-performance intake and oem exhaust
-etc etc

What combination of mods?

Reaction score
So if the Mopar ECU is a closed system that doesn't come with tuning software for further optimization with various aftermarket add-ons, then what equipments was this ECU optimized for?
-Mopar headers and exhaust with no cats
-Mopar headers and exhaust with race cats
-other headers and exhaust
-oem exhaust system
-performance intake and oem exhaust
-etc etc

What combination of mods?

It has been tested with many header configurations and has the working parameters opened up enough to work with almost any mods. Forced induction will still be a problem and Nitrous will work in small amounts. The sensors are not adjustable to work well with pressure instead of vacuum.

The cats options are up to you and will not be an issue.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph Gilles has an 08 with the upgraded 09 drive-by-wire logic, so a retro-fit is technically possible, but as Mark stated appears to need to go thru the BS hurdles of approval. He had this upgrade installed in his 08 (along with some "special port-matched" heads! )when he raced his ACR in July at Viperdays at VIR. He mentioned at that time he was hoping to get it applied to the 08's as a TSB. FYI.

I mentioned this bit of information in my "Viper Days with an 08 ACR" thread.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checking in; any updates on price and/or availability of the Mopar ECU? Only 12 more days till the holidays.

Reaction score
Just checking in; any updates on price and/or availability of the Mopar ECU? Only 12 more days till the holidays.

The suppliers of the PCM have been bogged down with price concerns maybe they have listened to this thread? :D The last I have heard is they are out in January now... sorry to have gotten your hopes up for a Christmas gift. :dunno:

I am hoping that the delay will actually be for the best and we can get a much better pricing structure to get this in the hands of the people that will post all the positive praises I have experienced with it. I will let you know when we are getting the shipment and the price is finalized for sure.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The suppliers of the PCM have been bogged down with price concerns maybe they have listened to this thread? :D The last I have heard is they are out in January now... sorry to have gotten your hopes up for a Christmas gift. :dunno:

I am hoping that the delay will actually be for the best and we can get a much better pricing structure to get this in the hands of the people that will post all the positive praises I have experienced with it. I will let you know when we are getting the shipment and the price is finalized for sure.

Mark --

Thanks for the update and I tend to agree with you about the timing issue. If the suppliers are reviewing this thread, my "wish list" price point for this product given the benefits obtained would be in the $600-$1000 range. If the product was in this range and did not permanently disable the rear O2 sensors (thus making DEQ/emissions testing here in Oregon difficult if not impossible), the ECU would be a very compelling upgrade.

/Rich

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news, Chuck Tator just posted the following info on another thread:

Stage 1 Engine Control Module - P5155254 MSRP $1159.00
2008-09 Vipers - Off road use Only
>Spark and fuel tables have been modified to function when "power adders" like headers, cat back exhaust, aftermarket cams and cool air inlet systems are used. The computer will sense the additional air flow and will compensate with appropriate fuel and spark to maximize perfoemance.
>Power adders can be used without turning on dash warning lights. Catalysts and O2 sensors can be removed without tripping warning lights or causing limp mode to activate.
>Revised fuel/spark tables are intended for power levels below 700hp [This controller is not intended for use with nitrous, superchargers or packages that go above 700hp]
>1 - 4 skip shift feature in the production calibration is eliminated.
>Rev limit increases from 6400 rpm to 6500 rmp.
>Tachometer is more sensitive, 25 rpm updates vs. production calibration of 100 rpms.
>Engine idle speed increased from 700 rpm to 750 rpm.
>The TTC pedal/throttle MAP has been refined to improve pedel feel.
>93 octane fuel use only.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

Hadn't seem the reference to 93 octane till today. Lot's of us, CA, AZ, etc can't get 93. Is it optimum performance or do you think mandatory? Thanks, Mike

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked this also in the other thread but here in Oregon we have 92 octane. Would adding a full bottle of octane booster to an empty or near empty tank before fill up boost me from 92 to 93 octane? Or are those octane boosters essentially snake oil (no offense intended to the legitimate vendor by that name)? Thanks.

Reaction score
You can use 92 but on a hot day at the track I would recommend a bottle of good octane booster in the tank also. If all you have is 91 I would use a bottle of NOS octane booster in each tank that will be driven hard. I have talked to them about this and they say since it is an off road only part it should not be a problem to find the correct fuel, but I understand your thoughts.

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, I for one would love to have this ECU; but if I have to put a bottle of boost into each tank (used to have to do this with a Syclone I had), and maybe it wouldn't pass smog beside. Also might void my warranty? Don't mean to be giving you a bad time and I know this isn't your deal, but you could pass it on. At least for the West coast guys (91 octane) it may not be doable. So I ask myself, is this something that can be put on and removed easily; or as previously mentioned has to be installed and removed by a dealer? Like could you put it on for a race, then have it removed to drive on the street until the next race???

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use 92 but on a hot day at the track I would recommend a bottle of good octane booster in the tank also. If all you have is 91 I would use a bottle of NOS octane booster in each tank that will be driven hard. I have talked to them about this and they say since it is an off road only part it should not be a problem to find the correct fuel, but I understand your thoughts.

Mark or anyone else who knows: Is "NOS octane booster" a brand of octane booster or a type of booster? Thanks.

/Rich

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has this new ECM been tested at high altitude? I live at 6000 ft elevation and am curious if they even tested at high altitude. Since higher altitudes require less octane, I wonder what is the octane requirement is up here? The highest they sell around here is 91. I hate to shell out $1200 if it has not been tested at higher altitudes.

Last edited:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, I for one would love to have this ECU; but if I have to put a bottle of boost into each tank (used to have to do this with a Syclone I had), and maybe it wouldn't pass smog beside. Also might void my warranty? Don't mean to be giving you a bad time and I know this isn't your deal, but you could pass it on. At least for the West coast guys (91 octane) it may not be doable. So I ask myself, is this something that can be put on and removed easily; or as previously mentioned has to be installed and removed by a dealer? Like could you put it on for a race, then have it removed to drive on the street until the next race???

Trying to think myself through this situation:

Dodge has tuned the car to run safely and consistently as a production unit, without being too close to the ragged edge on 91 octane.

I believe that Mopar has tuned the car to perform better, under the caveat that it has to be at 93 octane. I don't think the gains would be capable (or noticeable) under 91 octane. Granted it's an off-road unit, but they still have to tune it to run safely and not potentially blow the motor, under various methods of "owner abuse" :D Also, with the Bellanger's and any other mods, to prevent detonation and maximize power, 93 octane would be preferred.

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How difficult is it to swap the PCM? I have done this on other cars but never on a Viper. Does it require jacking up the car? I had one car where this was the case. If its easy to change than it can be changed at the track or other places. Will the car have to go through a learning process each time? Or will the PCM remember? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187