Turbo System Design Discussions

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo,

I had a look on your kit on the other thread.
It is just unbelievable, it is really a nice kit.

<font color="blue"> Sculmann, thanks! </font>

How do you handle this 1500rwtq ?

<font color="blue">Unfortunately, I never got to run the car on the street with that kind of power because the motor detonated on the dyno due to too hot of a spark plug. The datalog showed there was a range of 10.8 to 11:1 air fuel ratios on that pull. I initially thought it was a minor head gasket that was blown that would be easy to fix. I found out differently when we took it apart. The guy tuning the car tried to make me feel better by pointing out the fact that just about every other tuner out there had blown a motor before making that kind of power and that even though it was not cool to have blown the motor, I was still waaay ahead of the curve. I am having a real motor built by the best engine builder I could think of who, coincidentally, is the first person to run 300+ MPH in a stock bodied car at Bonneville.

I can tell you I ran the car on the street with 10 PSI for about a week before we upped the boost. At 10 PSI, the car made 900 RWHP and almost 1100 RWTQ.

I can tell you that this 900 rwhp was much, much faster than another 522 CI TT Viper also making 900 RWHP I drove produced by another tuner.

Here are a couple of interesting stories:

1.I remember coming back from the dyno after the 9 PSI tuning session and rolling into the throttle in OD with the converter locked. I remember the car started pulling so hard I was sliding back into the seat(the tuner had left the seat all the way back)that my foot was coming away from the gas pedal and I was holding onto the steering wheel for dear life pushing on the accelerator pedal to stay balanced only realizing the car was going faster and faster.... I flexed my foot to get it off the gas pedal and the car started to decelerate releasing me from the back of the seat to be able to reach the pedals again. I am sure I would have noticed the seat was too far back had I still had the 6-speed in there! :headbang:

2.I was going along the highway at 50 MPH in 1:1(auto tranny) in the middle lane==&gt; a 450 RWHP/510 RWTQ GTS(far left lane) and a supercharged Mustang Cobra(far right lane) with some upgrades blew past me going 100 MPH. I hit it the instant they went by.... I could have smashed into their rear bumpers by the time they were going 150 MPH. No squirrely rear end, just fast as hell!

3. I was rolling into the throttle at 60 MPH in .69 overdrive(slightly taller than viper 5th). I was full throttle by 80 MPH. According to the AEM datalog, I was at full throttle a little over six seconds and the RPM at that point was equivalent to 194 MPH. I did not believe that could be possible, but the RPM gearing charts show it to be the case.</font>

Can you hold this beast down the road under full throttle ?

<font color="blue"> I am sure the boost controller ramping in the boost will allow for the power to be put down in a more useable fashion.

You would be amazed on how much easier and smoother the power comes on with a properly sized exhaust housing and how stable the car is going 200+

</font>

You could get easily into the 300mph club at Bonneville but on a regular highway you would scare to dead people. :)

<font color="blue"> There is a lot more to going 300MPH than just making the power to do so. The build of the engine, size of the turbos, tuning, weight distribution, aerodynamics, tires, wheels, safety equipment and so-on are very important in the car staying on the ground and the engine staying together!</font>

What fuel did you run on ?

<font color="blue">I ran on a mix of C-16 and 110.</font>

And what was the average temperature under your hood ?

<font color="blue"> I did not measure the under the hood temperature, but do remember the coolant temperature was about 213 degrees after the 10 second loaded Mustang dyno pull in overdrive that produced the 1278 RWHP and 1448 RWTQ. The coolant temp went back down to 190 in a matter of a couple of minutes</font>

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pics are pertty. I think I spied a crossbrace in there.

JD

I agree. :2tu: I have seen the pics from months ago but this is the first time I have seen the updated pic with the new intercooler design, fully polished intake piping and BIG turbos...........oh yeah I see the turbos..........2 of them............right up front and in your face. :2tu:

1122untitled.jpg

John, thanks for posting the picture on this thread! I am sorry I had not shown you the updated pictures. I thought I had! :2tu:

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo is being modest about his welding skills. He has done some welding for me on my Gen 1, turned out as nice as anyone's I have seen. His headers on his car are a work of art. They should be on the wall in his trophy room.

martyb

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo is being modest about his welding skills. He has done some welding for me on my Gen 1, turned out as nice as anyone's I have seen. His headers on his car are a work of art. They should be on the wall in his trophy room.

martyb

Err Marty,

THEY ARE! :D Just kiddin' P!

Q: Paolo, Can you hold this beast down the road under full throttle ?

A: I am sure the boost controller ramping in the boost will allow for the power to be put down in a more useable fashion.
<font color="red">
You would be amazed on how much easier and smoother the power comes on with a properly sized exhaust housing and how stable the car is going 200+

-Paolo</font>

:eek: :eek: :eek:

[/QUOTE]

Only Paolo! Ha Ha Ha Ha!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a tuner that doesn't offer a t-04 exhaust housing on their turbo systems? We offer both.

Jason, It's good to see you contributing to my thread. I am glad to see that you are now offering the T-04 option.

Just for starters, my basic entry level TT system utilizes a T-04.

That very same entry level system can run a pair of 76 GTS's like what you used on Chad William's 7 second GTS car.

All that potential from a Bolt-on Entry Level System that is sure to be a great value for all the customers out there in Viperland.

Welcome!

Paolo

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened to the low budget turbo kit? I stopped disign on mine because a year ago you announced a reasonably priced kit. Is it still going to happen or is this it?

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened to the low budget turbo kit? I stopped disign on mine because a year ago you announced a reasonably priced kit. Is it still going to happen or is this it?

Russ, I started out to make a low budget, non intercooled system last May.

After datalogging the air intake temperatures with the AEM without an intercooler with a very efficient pair of turbos, I decided against the non-intercooled route.

Also after talking with many potential customers about what they wanted, the upgradeability was a big factor.

As with everything I do, I cannot do it to just be good enough. I feel compelled to do it the best.

I built a bolt-on TT Viper system to the specifications and level I have come to now, that can, run a minimum sized pair of T-04 turbos making 600 HP each, making 725 RWHP on low boost, that can be fully upgraded to run pair of 175-185 MPH in the 1/4 mile turbos, That is all stainless steel, ceramic coated, super efficient with an awesome torque curve that pulls cool air from outside the engine compartment, looks like a million bucks when you open the hood.

There are much more parts to a turbo system than a blower.

I made too good of a system to sell it for any less.

I could have cheaply made a budget footwell system that utilizes the stock cast manifolds with pea shooter T-03 turbos with tiny compressor wheels that would have monster backpressure and would max out at around 700 RWHP at high boost levels with a small, restrictive intercooler that has a cheap core for 10-11K.

I could have done that quite easily with much less work than I have put in so far.....

I would probably have sold more of those systems because of the cheap price.

I would be financially ahead of where I am now for sure in terms of recouping my R&amp;D costs to say the least.

After talking and PM'ing quite a few people, many of which are creampuff owners who cannot afford to run higher boost because of the pistons, I thought it would be better to make a fully upgradeable front mount twin turbo system that I could maximize everything from the cool air intake (away from the engine heat) to a properly matched T-04 turbine housing and wheel combination into a compact package that is striking when you open the hood.

To put things into perspective, you really need to consider that it takes about 12K to make 650 RWHP and more than 15K to make 725+ RWHP with the twin screw blower.

Let's also be honest here: how many guys are out there who thought 600 RWHP would be all they would ever need? I bet there are a ton of them out there who now realize it would be a little nicer to have the potential of another 100 or 150 RWHP. I was one of them except I thought 800 RWHP was the ultimate until a few times through the gears and the belt was already slipping..........Even if somebody THINKS they only want/need *** RWHP, they are wrong. With my system this mistake is easily fixable with a few $$$$$$$$

==&gt;That is the great thing about this system: No matter how much power somebody wants, this system can make it efficiently without having to sell the whole car and start over like many have done in the past and still do so to this day.

I made this to be the last system one ever needs. Sure it is a little more than I originally thought it would be, but it's also better than I thought I could make it!

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a tuner that doesn't offer a t-04 exhaust housing on their turbo systems? We offer both.

Heffner, I wasnt aware that you offered the T04's on your do it yourself system. When did you release it? I was all excited about the hype but never saw any results. I just got a 99 GTS as you might know... if I wanted twin 76's on your DIY system, what size air filters would I use? I just wanted to make sure they would flow the proper CFM's..

Congrats paolo, it looks like you have it all figured out and have put down GRAET numbers at LOW boost which shows how efficient the system really is! And that its totally upgradable and you can actually see the turbos for the "bling bling" effect! Im glad I waited for the best!

DynoDaddy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paolo does your kit even have a collector?
Are your primaries longer than 3.5" on the centerline of the pipe?
What is the CFM capacity of your intercooler at .5psid and 2psi drop on your twin 76 Kit?
What is the CFM capacity of your air filters on the twin 76mm kit?
And what is up with that bent up mangled pipe in that picture that was posted?

I look forward to learning more about your "SUPER efficent" design.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the CFM capacity of your intercooler at .5psid and 2psi drop on your twin 76 Kit?

I think I have the answer to all 5 ?'s with 2 words............

Penis Envy??? :eek:

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whew! Just got back in from test driving my customer's Mustang with the single turbo system I designed, fabricated/fitted together, tacked together and had my fabricator weld up and make the jigs! It sounds fantastic with that 5" downpipe!

The car is ready to go to the dyno after only 10 weeks from start to finish. I waited a week and a half for the chip to get here so I could finally start the car.

Joe, with all these questions you keep asking me over and over, I wonder if you are second guessing yourself on the single turbo system you designed and had your dad weld for you.

We are not all that different you know.

The only difference here is it is not really appropriate for me to trade smack with you as I am a vendor on this site.

Just remember, there is still time to add another turbo to your system!LOL! As usual, you can feel free to call me if I can be of help to you! 630-878-3907.

DynoDaddy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just the reply I had expected. Just like a politician. COnsistant dodging the issue. If you are a such a stand up vendor explain to people on the site here how you actually constructed your system. Be a man and own up to your wonderful design.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just the reply I had expected. Just like a politician. COnsistant dodging the issue. If you are a such a stand up vendor explain to people on the site here how you actually constructed your system. Be a man and own up to your wonderful design.

I think he has taken ownership

"Castellano Twin Turbo completed!
1512 RWTQ and 1278 RWHP "

PC can more than take care of all your concerns and doesnt need my reply, I just think it is entertaining considering your current project with another Chicagoland vendor(SVS).

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DynoDaddy,

You're poormouthing of a system that is Really and Truly Superior is really degrading to yourself. Be Cool, Man Up, and Be Proud of your INDIVIDUAL accomplishments. Look at your line of questioning, would ANY respectable tuner tolerate your Bullcrap?

Have you even dyno'd your own homebuilt single turbo yet?

MOVE ON.

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dynodaddy, quit typing and get your car done, its been long enough... I though 3 weeks ago you said 2 weeks... whats the new date that it will be done? Any updated pics you wish to share? paolos given more info and pics about his system than any other tuner.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paulo, you definitely get my award for the longest, most informative posts in the history of the VCA. Lots of info to chew on. :2tu:

I've got a rather simple generic question regarding any twin turbo kit, specifically the DIY kits. What kind of fitment issues can be expected with pre-fabed turbo kits. I know back in the early days of even the Roe superchargers, some people had fitment issues due to these cars being hand made with clearances warring. I know a twin turbo kit is fitting a lot more piping etc. into the engine bay as well. Since I have no clue how many DIY kits are out there on cars now (only two that I know of, the one you PC brought to Norwalk, and I saw the one Heffner car at Carlisle this year), I was wondering how much persuasion is needed to get some of these parts to fit.

I have little patience, I don't want to be in my garage at home fitting up some intercooling piping and grabbing the hammer in frustration trying to get something to fit. Is this a real world concern?

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think he has taken ownership

"Castellano Twin Turbo completed!
1512 RWTQ and 1278 RWHP "

PC can more than take care of all your concerns and doesnt need my reply, I just think it is entertaining considering your current project with another Chicagoland vendor(SVS).

Joe speaks for himself and because he's associated with SVS it has nothing to do with his comments on this thread :confused: I have no buisness here until JDAWG has decided to imply that SVS is involved.

Looks to me like Joe has questions about the turbo system of Paolo's that is being showcased in this thread started by Paolo called:

Turbo System Design Discussions

I believe Joe's discussion questions about any turbo design are very important and worth being considered.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paulo, you definitely get my award for the longest, most informative posts in the history of the VCA. Lots of info to chew on. :2tu:

I've got a rather simple generic question regarding any twin turbo kit, specifically the DIY kits. What kind of fitment issues can be expected with pre-fabed turbo kits. I know back in the early days of even the Roe superchargers, some people had fitment issues due to these cars being hand made with clearances warring. I know a twin turbo kit is fitting a lot more piping etc. into the engine bay as well. Since I have no clue how many DIY kits are out there on cars now (only two that I know of, the one you PC brought to Norwalk, and I saw the one Heffner car at Carlisle this year), I was wondering how much persuasion is needed to get some of these parts to fit.

I have little patience, I don't want to be in my garage at home fitting up some intercooling piping and grabbing the hammer in frustration trying to get something to fit. Is this a real world concern?

Simms, we have probably made 8 or so iterations of this system each time getting the fitment tolerances to be easier and easier. It's really all in how the jigs are made and of course, the skill of the welder. My fabricator is phenomenal and has years of experience not only in fabrication, but also in this exact process of making jigs and the product to it's consistently repeatable.

I am sure you know this, but stainless steel is more difficult to weld than mild not necessarily just to get a nice bead with good ***********, but to make two identical pieces that go through the same physical space. Stainless is harder on cutting blades and wheels, carbide bits and so on. The actual cutting/fitment of the stainless is really crucial to not have it move. I can do alright if I have perfectly fitted pieces that are easy to get to, but if you have a goofy angle that is hard to get to, it can be ****** to to a perfect weld. I guess it's all seat time. My fabricator makes it look easy! :headbang:

Tweaking the manufacturing process like we have been, I think we are pretty close to being right on the money!

I will be installing another system in the next few weeks here and I will keep you posted.

The good news is the newest iteration that can fit even bigger than the 76 GTS's will make the overall fitment even easier with tolerances not being as crucial or tight. I wish I would have thought of this earlier on. But this is what R&amp;D is all about. I will personally be going out to each and every install until I am convinced the fitment is such you will not need a hammer for anything! :nana:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21