Turbo Vs. Super?

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OrecaGTS-R/T:
The classic battle of the Turbocharger and the Supercharger. Which do you think is teh better "bang for the buck" buy, just interested in what people had to say on the issue?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Both are extraordinary ways to make power without sacrificing street ability.

SUPERCHARGERS are run utilizing the crankshaft to drive the impeller without creating excessive heat, and power can be obtained almost instantaneously without any "lag time." The impeller is spun at a speed (depending on boost level)
almost half that of a turbo. TURBOS are driven by the exhaust system which can create enormous amounts of heat so intercooling is imperative. The margin for power is probably much greater for the turbocharged engine. But, there are definitely pro's and con's with that....

I will post later with more info on that.

Doug
You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Since this is a two year old post from the archives:
I will retract my opinion about turbochargers vs. superchargers.

*The fact that we sell supercharger systems at the present time makes me biased.

Regards,
Doug Levin

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelP:
oops sorry for the bump. I saw the 11 and figured it was December. No slam intended. Thanks Doug.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not at all
smile.gif

Best Regards!
Doug

OP
OP
O

OrecaGTS-R/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahaha, seems funny to see one of my year old posts rear its ugly head. I don't post much but im a "life long browser" untill i get my Viper of course but that could be in another 300 years time ;) Its great to see that even the big guns such as Doug spend time on little posts like this. Still love the board and still browsing, take care all....

Rowan.

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo vs. super =
They are all excellent, I agree - who can argue with bolt on power. Here is an interesting graph.
http://www.aerocharger.com/tech1.htm

We use aerochargers on our bike kits, and this weekend I dynoed a Miata with an aerocharger turbo on it, a 302 mustang with centrifugal supercharger, and a 350 chevy with a roots type blower on it. It is not a valid back to back comparison, but I was curious so I logged the manifold pressure and plotted them vs rpm and saw similarly shaped curves. So I think the data Aerocharger presents is reasonably accurate.

Interesting to note, a properly sized conventional turbo seems to produce boost faster than a centrifugal supercharger - I recall looking at the boost curve of the Mustang and thinking it looked slow to respond compared to some conventional turbo stuff we have been tuning. I considered the larger aerochargers for my Viper turbo project, but they are just not big enough.

-Dave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc